Main Menu

Prog 2317: Escape Route

Started by IndigoPrime, 28 January, 2023, 01:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

First up, that cover. I've loved that image since I first saw it. If ever Tharg (or Harrison) fancy turning that into a print, I'll be first in line to buy one.

Overleaf, Dredd goes on a jaunt into outer space, seemingly setting up a scrap with a load of d-list foes. (Or relatives of d-list foes he's killed.) It's just the set-up so far, but a nice change of pace after Niemand's short series that punched everyone's heart out.

The Out moves things on nicely, with Cyd travelling again, but layers on additional intrigue. It feels like the bests of 2000 AD. And then you turn the page and end up with Joe Pineapples. The art is quite good, in a sort of 1990s Heavy Metal vibe kind of way. The scripting isn't the worst episode so far, but, well. (And after following one of the more modern strips featuring a female character, it's a bit depressing to have this one going WIMMIN, EH? BUNNY BOILERS! UNGRATEFUL BRATS THAT DON'T LIVE ME! Bleh. It feels like it's beamed in from the 1970s.)

The Order kicks off its final run. Unsurprisingly, horrible Armoured Gideon aside, Burns supplies lush painted art. And Kek-W wisely spends half the episode provided a potted history of what's been going on to date. Whether the strip will remain comprehensible is another matter. Proteus Vex then ramps things up in the ongoing conflict.

In all, while the Dredd isn't hitting the same highs and the other quality strips aren't providing key moments, it's another 4:1 issue for me. Good stuff. Here's hoping that continues.

The Out > The Order > Proteus Vex > Dredd >>>>>>>> Joe Pineapples

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Well that's quite the cover isn't it, simply stunning.

Behind that there's a decent start a Dredd that continues to weave his ongoing tale, but feels like it will be a fun side quest rather than anything else at this point.

The Out, well takes is out... well actually it takes us back, for the first time as Cyd retraces her steps. She does like it and for a moment I didn't think I was going to... for a moment and I was wrong. Its superb and Mark Harrison's art steps up a notch, somehow.

Joe Pineapples... sigh

The Order its great that this is going to get an ending, really great, but I'll be sad when its done. Its a steady start.

Proteus Vex has a more steady episode, I mean its still excellent, but not quite last time.

So yeah good Prog. Not quite at the heights of last week as some stories settle in but still great stuff.

The Monarch

still think the invading force in the order is the dark matter from canon fodder....prove me wrong :lol:

broodblik

Let's start by saying what an awesome cover and the stories continue to entertain (Joe unfortunately you are in the naughty box)

Dredd – Interesting start to another story arc the closes the multiple treats from the "The Hard Way".

The Out – Well interesting turn of events as the story focus alter its course as Cyd deviate from her original storyline as she tries to undercover the "truth" on how she bonded with the Tankinar. This weeks number one thrill.

Joe Pineapples – Somewhere under the layers of great art a story wants to be told I just cannot figure it out, yet.

The Order – A good start to the last arc. I will miss this series loved to overtop zaniest helter-skelter plot. Hopefully Anna gets a proper send-off.

Proteus Vex – The intrigue continues as another layer to the conflict is added with the Scorcher leader refusing to negotiate. Great story great art loving this.

Barrington Boots

Agree with you guys that the cover is awesome this week.

Dredd is alright this week, mainly setup, and hopefully setting up for an amusing bout of stupid violence with daft aliens next issue. Nice to see Paul Marshall on Dredd again. What's up with Maitland being caucasian agin here?

The Out best episode of this for a while, story moves one, dialogue snappy, art perfect.

Joe Pineapples yeah this is not working for me at all, looks good though, Vampire bots especially, and a very Bisley-ish frame of virtual reality team bonding.

The Order starts off with what a lot of people have been asking for: a bit of a recap. I really like The Order and I love John Burns so sad to hear this is ending, but also I feel the strip needed to be at least moving towards an ending so that's a good thing. Also good to see the focus back on Anna Kohl.

Proteus Vex is absolutely terrific. Scorchers going to come a cropper here. That harness thing sounds appalling but also a bit like working in an Amazon warehouse.

Very enjoyable Prog. The Out and Vex killing it, Order and Dredd promise much, Pineapple is a turkey.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

norton canes

New tooth, that's weird...

A big tonal shift for Dredd after last week and the double-whammy of a couple of Rob Williams' favourite tropes - large heads on small bodies and references in the third person. Not sure that 'furball' joke works unless we assume Sneetches is actually saying 'furball', which the inverted tags suggest they're not. Sorry, am I overanalysing it? First rule of comedy Spike, don't overanalyse it.

Feel like this, more plot-driven chapter of The Out has lost a little of its essential weirdness but it's still great; as is Proteus Vex, which conversely has become more coherent and entertaining now it's focussed on the Scorcher War narrative. Great to see the return of The Order, which has been one of my favourite thrills of recent years. Let's hope for a fitting send-off.

Whisper it, but Joe Pineapples was pretty good this week.

Proudhuff

Read Dredd, then skipped my way through the rest, paid attention to Vex, but that was about it... ready low point for me Progwise, oh and the Megazine isn't even balancing it out like it used to, with a similar thing going on there. :(
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

A bit sad for me- this is my last physical Prog* before I go digital, but it is adorned with the best cover in years.

Dredd was good, but all I could thinks was "Skip Tracer art". Which I know is mightily unfair on Paul Marsh.

The Out was great and I agree the art seems to have gone up a notch. From superb to even more superb.

As forPinapples, I actually enjoyed it this week.

And that was the most understandable episode of The Order in years.

I've been doing a lof of reading of Nikolai Dante recently, catching up on Simon Fraser's podcast, and as a result have been exposed to a lot of John Burns art. And I am sorry to say, this week's on The Order is no where near his best. It seems a bit rushed and I prefer the fully painted stuff, as opposed to the painted over line work. (And I had never actually consciously noticed the difference until Simon Fraser mentioned it on the podcast).

I do love Proteus Vex, but am finding each episode needs to be read twice to understand it. It seems like they always start off a bit jarring and then explain what's going on.

* apart from the Regened ones which I have promised my son I will buy physical copies of.

broodblik

broodblik

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 February, 2023, 08:03:52 PMI've been doing a lof of reading of Nikolai Dante recently, catching up on Simon Fraser's podcast, and as a result have been exposed to a lot of John Burns art. And I am sorry to say, this week's on The Order is no where near his best. It seems a bit rushed and I prefer the fully painted stuff, as opposed to the painted over line work. (And I had never actually consciously noticed the difference until Simon Fraser mentioned it on the podcast).

Can't disagree with this, but even John's lesser work is a delight to see in the Prog. That first page, with all the tentacles and Anna underwater, is brilliant.
The art is the Prog is consistently of a very high standard, but flicking through this issue I'm struck by how different and how top notch everything in this weeks issue is.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JohnW

I'm going to be unhelpful by preferring the alternative cover. Beautiful soft colouring.

Really interesting interview with Harrison, though.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!