Main Menu

i jus finished my subscription

Started by death monkey 23, 21 January, 2003, 04:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jock

Tom letters on a computer now too... and as much as I love his font the sound FX just ain't the same as they used to be- big massive BARROOOMM's and BUDDA BUDDA's literally drawn into the artwork. Fantastic!

Jock

Matt Timson

Yeah- you can't beat a good old "BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA"...
Pffft...

critter

Spunds like you have issues Spanky. I think with thw volume of people who come here your opinion may be wrong. Sure I don't like everything I see in Tooth, Bison for example...Tales of Telguuth for another, and oh Most of Siku's work. Sure I know allot of people will disagree with me. But why take the time to look up the site, register. then post is you're getting away from it anyway.
But theres more in Tooth that I like than dislike.

Critter

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ArgueWithScojo/files/page1.gif" target="_blank">An Imaginary Tale

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/599e4486/bc/Yahoo!+Photo+Album/jdepartment.gif?pfKTcL.AWuWl7VHy">

paulvonscott

Well, right on for Death Monkey 23, saying what he thinks.  I'd rather hear what people who decide to quit 2000AD think than them just dissapear.  Basically for DeathMonkey there was nothing engaging about the comic, that's fair enough, lay off the lad.

I'm quite enjoying 2000AD, there are four stories which on average aren't bad at all.  Then again, there's nothing that really reaches new territory or makes me that excited, and engages my enthusiasm in a way that stories in the past have.  Maybe my thrill circuits are just knacked, but my jaded eyes just wants to see something I havn't seen before.

I would agree about computer/hand lettering (and I do) but I just feel this is part of the same problem again for me.  I'm always pining for some 2000AD that was around in the eighties, which was in almost every way an entirely different comic to the one you see today.  And I don't think that's too healthy.  Maybe everyone's a bit jaded and thats why the comic never gets above a certain level.

Ah well, I'm in one of my grim moods, sure I'll be fine by Monday again.

frazer

I really like it:P

i prefer it to the old stuff in all honesty.

how old ARE u paul? just out of curiosity :D

F

paulvonscott

30.  I feel like I'm sixty however.  Sixty and crawling into my grave...  thou cheeky Juve!

I heard you say you were really into modern 2000AD at Dreddcon at some talk or other, and I have to say I felt a bit envious.  I want that feeling back!  

Really all the moaning about this and that is just that lack of 'something' I'm trying to pin down and can't.  

Part of my ever growing belief that 2000AD is neither aimed at me or really meant for me.  I did hope that it might be more engaging to folk like Death Monkey, heh, I could sort of say 'well, at that age, I was that into it too' and feel a proper old codger.

I'm not even sure it has anything to do with quality of script or artwork, I'm tempted to try more small press stuff, I get a real buzz out of seeing people just doing their own thing, going off in all sorts of crazy tangents that don't always make much sense, with scripts that don't work or art that is quirkily shoddy.  But you can really see the ideas frothing about.

I agree that to a modern audience the old stuff probably looks old, it would be a sad state of affairs if it didn't.  But I still think that some of the old ways of doing things produce quite exciting results.

I'd be really interested in how enthusiastic many droids are about what they do, I don't always pick it up.  I picked it up from a FEW at Dreddcon, but then the rest might have had hangovers :)

Oddboy

But why take the time to look up the site, register. then post is you're getting away from it anyway.

To be fair - Deathmonkey hasn't done this.
He was around the message board quite regularly at the beginning of the year (this was his 127th post) & has been coming in less & less over the last few months, presumably as his interest in 2000AD has dwindled.
It doesn't take long to type www.2000adonline.com (or like most of us who use the site regularly; hit the favorites link) and respect is due for his comments & honesty.  Better people say goodbye first then just disappear.
Still think he's wrong about 2000AD though, it's pretty topper at the moment.
Better set your phaser to stun.

W. R. Logan

Personally if  I felt that strongly about something I?d stop buying it.

Bye and don?t let the door hit you on the arse as your leaving,

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/megazine/thumbnails/2.52_thumb.jpg">

W. R. Logan

>How can anyone pour scorn on the latest offerings in 2000ad? Slaine is the best I have seen it since The Horned God,

Would strongly argue about that comment, after a good start its starting to go downhill rapidly. Slaine should have been put to death after his 7 year reign, or given to another writer, but as we all know Pat Mills gaurds his characters and has a hissy fit if anyone else writes them.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Wake

but as we all know Pat Mills gaurds his characters and has a hissy fit if anyone else writes them.

Even if it's for a fanzine. I've added a note to the bottom of the character profiles index to this effect.

Wake

Link: Character Profiles Index

Matt Timson

"Even if it's for a fanzine. I've added a note to the bottom of the character profiles index to this effect."

Blimey!  So you have!  Patt Mills in "miserable git" shocker...

Is it just me, or does this attitude strike anybody else as being a bit- well- I'm afraid that "sad" is the only word I can think of!?!

Anyone else?
Pffft...

GordonR

Oh god, I remember that.  The poor guy on the receiving end of it posted Pat's comments to him yo (I think) the Zarjaz group.

It was maybe the closest thing I've ever read to a written mugging.

I've had some personal experience of Pat's feelings on the matter myself, as will be somewhat entertainingly revealed in the final TPO articles in the Meg.

Queen Firey-Bou

so how about someone write a tale about cuchulain & his warp spasms, his lady wife , Emer (IIRC), & his battles with the fomorian sea demons ?

Matt

I'll stand by my earlier comments, the new series of Slaine is far and away better than any of the stories that followed The Horned God. The Robin Hood, Grail and Secret Commonwealth stories were just shite. But just because I think Slaine has picked up form with Moloch doesn't mean I think it's the best its ever been. I'd agree with Logan that Slaine should have died after his 7 year reign, the series reached a natural conclusion with Slaine becoming highking. From wanderer to  king, we'd seen Slaines story peak and nothing that has followed has ever lived up to the previous stories.

Wils

This means that my fan-fic story...

Slaine queues up at the 5 Items or Less till at Tesco's even though he's got 6 bottles of Wash-and-Go in his basket. (He didn't think it too many.)

...will *never* see print.

;)