Main Menu

Meg 458: Death Rays

Started by IndigoPrime, 29 July, 2023, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Given how long I've had this Meg, I'm surprised there isn't already a thread. So I'll kick one off now.

The Death cover is suitably horrific, but the first strip is an oddball Dredd that in terms of script and art feels quite old-school in nature. The visuals reminded me of late 1980s annual strips (McCarthy, perhaps), and Dredd's casual indifference to all the people dying on the last page was odd. Still, a solid enough one-off.

Spector continues to be readable but also in its own way feels quite old-school. Bit weird that Stevens is the only woman in the entire episode. Then we get some Clash of the Guards reprint, which was smartly self-contained. And Death Metal Planet ends with a Furmanism, which is quite apt, I suppose. But I'll be quite happy if that mob doesn't come back again for a long time.

Anderson ends well but made me a bit sad this team didn't do a bunch more of these. I really enjoyed re-reading this. Johnny Red, meanwhile, ramps up the action, with a brutal and bloody action-packed episode.

Lawless isn't quite grabbing me in the way it once did. I'm not sure why. I imagine it will at some point will revert to some kind of status quo, and so it feels like we're on a bit of a side quest of sorts.

Dreadnoughts continues to be horrible, in being too close to home. And it sets things up for a nasty confrontation next month.

In all, a solid Meg. It looks like Mega-City 2099 replaces the Death strip next month, and IDW Rogue Trooper grabs the baton from Anderson. I'll enjoy reading that one again, for sure, albeit again with that hint of melancholy on knowing there are only four issues in total.

Anderson > Dredd > Dreadnoughts > Spector > Lawless > Clash of the Guards > Death Metal Planet

Proudhuff

Weirdly that cover really put me off the whole issue, so I scanned everything inside quickly just to get it put away out of sight out of mind. A bit of a work-a-day journeyman Meg this month. Looking forward to D'eath free next issue, its been like a re-run of the sexy ostriches for me recently.
DDT did a job on me

Barrington Boots

It's taken me a while to get through this one. I tend to only buy when Lawless is in there, but this run of Lawless isn't doing it for me either. I'm not really sure what's missing  - perhaps we've moved too far from the original concept? I'm waiting for it to pick up again.

Similar feelings to IP on Dredd in that Dredd just not caring as dozens of cits die on the final page was weird and threw the whole strip off for me. Anderson has been a real highlight for me, didn't read this the first time around and really enjoyed it. I'm also enjoying Spector which has been more hard boiled and less comedic than I imagined it would be but still a cool read.

Elsewhere I've found Death Metal Planet to be truly dire and I'm very glad to see the back of it, and Dreadnoughts is superb, but also not really something I'm enjoying reading, per se, as it's relentlessly grim and a bit close to home. The Battle reprints I have elsewhere so didn't read here.

Great to see Aly Fell interviewed!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tomwe

Big fan of spectre, and Dreadnoughts. I feel like we got a Death cover every third issue which is a bit much.

Funt Solo

The Megazine's cover-variance is quite poor - we got five Dredds in a row in 2021. And if you don't like the Dark Judges, then you won't have liked 50% of the most recent Megs:

---------------------------------------

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Five Dredds in a row seems fair enough in a comic called Judge Dredd: The Megazine, though.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

I'd say there's an argument for it (even if I disagree - because I prefer variety), but that it's not the historical norm.

In order to beat the record of 5-Dredds-in-a-row (and the little one said "Drokk this!") you have to go all the way back to 1998's "Preacher: the Megazine", which managed nine.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

I read this while away but have to be honest it didn't inspire me to rush to review. Whih given it has Lawless in it is surprising. I love Lawless, I really due, BUT for the first time in I don't know how long this just felt like the next episode of Lawless moving the plot on perfectly well. I mean it good, really good. but it lacked that unique angle, that character view the series normally has and just read like good comics, like normal brilliant comics.

Dreadnought was pretty damned good, but again was just well crafted rather than inspiring. As was Spectre and both feel like they could offer more.

The Dredd is fine with some striking art.

Then we have the end of Death Metal Planet which wraps things up effectively and entirely satisfyingly with a nice dangle of more to come. Not sure this needs more and I think things are probably best left with the '...' rather than an actual continuation. Its been a fun ride and these Dark Judges stories have offered a lot and spun DJs stories into some really interesting places that haven't been done for a LONG time. But time to let it rest now I'd say.

So having typed up this I think the Meg is actually better than I'm giving it credit for, just with this line-up it feels like it could have been so much more!

Richard

Nick Percival's art has been the best thing about that series, I love it. But I've seen enough of the Dark Judges now. I'd like to see him on something else.