Main Menu

Prog 1442: Slaine - Freedom or Death

Started by Tiplodocus, 06 June, 2005, 03:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

It'll be interesting how Morrison is going to keep our sympathies on Shakar's side...

I imagine there will be some children in danger.

M@

Dudley

Oh!  Will Shakara have to remove his helmet and let them stroke the red gloop?

Slippery PD

Actually, I find the Shakara as a Gesalt entity made from the dead spirits of a once dead race (or similair).  Intriguing.

Rest of the prog was OK.  Dredds coming on, but I hope the niece in peril thing is moved on to something else.

Slaine actually ended on a good note and seems a fitting end for an extended rest of sorts...

Slips

Byron Virgo

"Mills has clearly brought Slaine to a natural close, what with Ukko having gone, the Sea Demons pretty much comprehensively vanquished, Niamh dead, the tribes in another dimensions (oh, all right, "density") and the last loose end (Kai) apparently to be wound up in the epilogue."

Ukko's not gone, he's merely resting, you plum!

Carlsborg Expert

Kai.Son of Slaine.

Now theirs your breakthrough follow up.

Stuff Finn.

Stuff Finn. Really cannot see this being a serial under development.

But Kai?

BOFF!

Funt Solo

In order, worst to best:

5: Judge Dredd
Great storyline marred only by the clunky exchange between the two "ain't life grand" Judges who watch soap operas.  This artwork is really hit and miss for me:  clunky shoulder eagles - miss; that frame with the hacker in it - hit.

4: Tharg's Nerve Centre
It's got an advert for The Red Seas.  The two-headed dog thing (can't remember his name) made me laugh out loud again.  I'm easily amused.

3: The Cover
When you can finally drag yourself away from that humungous sword, check out the detail around the edges of the cover and the runes on Brainbiter (mark n).  Now look at the sky, the tree tops off in the distance, the photo-realistic expression, the war paint, the sideburns, the spikey hair, the...look, it's just a f*cking amazing cover.  Oh, look!  The logo's a special runic logo as well.  Be still my beating thrill-circuits.

2: Shakara
Green vs. Red, eh?  My money's on the red-dude.  Great revelations about Shakara's controllers and a plot twist thrown in with the hunter perhaps becoming the hunted.  Now, before you dismiss Henry Flint's art as mere genious with a freedom matching that of McMahon, check out the last frame on page 3 (groovy swirly red effect) and the giant frame on the last page (look at that sea!)

1: Slaine
If for no other reason, the double-page spread.  I don't have to explain why - just look at it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Amstor Computer

"the photo-realistic expression"

Possibly because it *is* a photo?

"I don't have to explain why - just look at it"

Yup - nice photo.

Max Kon

beautiful landscapes, i wonder where they are.

Funt Solo

To be honest, I couldn't give a flying toot whether or not Langley uses actual photos as part of his artistry:  I just think it looks good.

I'm well aware that many people on the board think otherwise, but I don't see the use of photographs as a bad thing in and of itself:  it's the end result that matters.

There really is no accounting for personal taste because I look at that art and think it's gorgeous, whereas you obviously don't, or you think that it's somehow cheating.  Or something.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Keef Monkey

Never been a fan of Slaine at all, to me it's always been the boring bit I had to trudge through to get to something good, but it slowly won me over during the whole book of invasions thing, mainly down to the artwork. I can see why people might not like it but to me it looks beautiful. The scene in Niamh's tomb packed an incredibly emotional punch and the double page at the end was breathtaking. As much as I've enjoyed it though I'd like it to be the last, don't want to give it a chance to get boring again. Judge Dredd's picking up pace nicely and Shakara is still bubbling with wonderful invention. Nice.

The Amstor Computer

"whereas you obviously don't, or you think that it's somehow cheating. Or something"

I certainly don't think it's "cheating", and when it comes to using photos/tech in 2K strips:

-- I love the work Henry Flint has been doing on Shakara, and unless I'm very much mistaken, he's incorporated a photo into the page with the oceanscape.

-- I love SB Davis' artwork, which is very heavily photo-referenced.

-- I adore Arthur Ranson's art, which again is heavily referenced/Lightboxed.

-- I'm a huge fan of Frazer Irving, who I believe now does all of his work on computer.

When it comes to Langley's art, I just don't like the end result. I feel it overloads on details, and uses computer effects and photographs to mask what - IMO - isn't particularly good linework or comic art, whereas someone like Henry Flint uses computer effects or images & textures to enhance his already fantastic drawn art.

Funt Solo

I must say, it's a lot easier to take your opinion on board when you take the time to explain it so eloquently.

Your previous "yup - nice photo" made me think you were being dismissive of the end result because of the techniques used to achieve it:  which you've clearly explained is not the case.

I hope you can relate to the fact that (for me)hearing comments along the lines of "Langley uses photos" or (for example) "Mills is precious about his characters" is about as shocking as the fact that the drummer in ZZ Top without the beard is called Frank Beard.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Amstor Computer

-- I must say, it's a lot easier to take your opinion on board when you take the time to explain it so eloquently.

Fair point.

In this case, I probably *was* being a little short & dismissive - much as you were about Moorcock on the fantasy thread the other day, IIRC ;-)

"I hope you can relate to the fact that (for me)hearing comments along the lines of "Langley uses photos" or (for example) "Mills is precious about his characters" is about as shocking as the fact that the drummer in ZZ Top without the beard is called Frank Beard."

Heh :-)

Noisybast

I think Langley's Photoshoppery is definitely improving, but it's still a bit too busy for my liking. Then there's the small matter of the smudgy blurred line around the cliff in the final 2-pager. bit distracting...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Oddboy

Anyone else think this was a wraparound cover? :D
Better set your phaser to stun.