Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Ronald Searle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16391857

A phenomenal cartoonist.

Gutted, but he had a hell of a life.
"Trust we"

SuperSurfer

I saw an exhibition of Ronald Searle's work at the Cartoon Gallery, London. In fact it was a drawing session in the exhibition space showing his work. Stunning work and some quite harrowing early pieces – sketches of his time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. One of the captions said that he and other prisoners would hide drawings or notes under the bedding of men who were dying as the Japanese would not search there. The background of one drawing showed human heads on a shelf.

TordelBack

Aw, what a shame.  Searle is a hero of mine, one of the great artists of the 20th C.

vzzbux

Is the top walkway the bridge between the landing platform and the ATAT in ROTJ?
Probably a practice for a scene that never was.
Edit: Reference to Bob Anderson.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

James Stacey

former James Bond ... Bob Holness.

Something Fishy

Sad news.  Good old bob.

TordelBack

Aw, always liked Bob.  Not least for his classic question of two former Blockbusters holiday-winners, "Did you go all the way together?". 

I, Cosh

Can I have an RIP please, Bob?
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 06 January, 2012, 06:12:21 PM
Can I have an RIP please, Bob?

:lol: That's Blockbusters!

Heath C Ackley

Eve Arnold, top photographer in the 40s 50s and 60s, best known for her Marilyn Monroe portraits.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

JOE SOAP

I wonder did they do that wanky hand-jive at Bob's funeral:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_uqL8opW8

ghostpockets

True story. When I were but a nipper Blockbusters was always on the tellybox after school. Somehow my confuzzled infant mind likened the futuristic intro to what it was like to go to heaven when you died. I think the idea was borne from the combination of the flying over the utopian city and the grecian frieze of zeus at the end, or maybe it was that I found Blockbusters boring like church was. Anyway suffice to say as a child I believed that the face of God was that of Bob Holness, and that when you passed you would play a game of Blockbusters for all eternity. This made me fear death even more.

RIP Bob Holness, you are with your son Jesus now.

TordelBack

I'm intrigued, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.  How did a Gold Run fit into your theology? 

Definitely Not Mister Pops

What 'D' is Bob Monkhouse?
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 January, 2012, 05:16:10 AM
Intrigued by that first shot - clearly RotJ judging by the lightsabre, but Hamill's costume is entirely unfamiliar.

They're both from Empire but different prop-sabres: