Main Menu

Slaine - Carnival

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 August, 2010, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well 2006 has made a stuttering start, both terms of my reading with holiday and other stuff getting in the way and in terms of quality... well compared to the heights of 2005 that is. I mean Synnamon came back, whats all that about?

Anyway I really enjoyed 'Carnival'... well kinda. I wasn't a big fan of 'Books of Invasion' there were bits were it worked for me and bits that I glazed over, or more was blinded by its light, but not what I'd hoped it would be. 'Carnival' however was fun but I really don't think Clint Langley's art is right for this strip and I think that's taken away from my enjoyment of the latest Slaine stories. I know he has his fans and I can see why, the work he produces is incredible at times breathtaking stuff and thats what makes it just not right for Slaine.

'Carnival' is a great little story but its a story about a Celtic warrior and a freak show run by Ukko. The trouble is that the art is so majestic that all the freaks look like magnificent beasts of wonder and magic. Demi Gods amongst men. Not Shaggy beast and freaks in a show run by Ukko. They should look fantastic, sure but well like freaks, a bit grim and disturbing. I find Clint Langley's work to shiney. I enjoyed the story but could not help but think how much more evocative it would have been if it'd been draw by Mike McMahon (to use the easy example) or any number of other artists.

Reading Slaine looking like this makes me think I'm trapped inside a world of Games Workshop posters and lead figures not a hard Celtic environment.

Too Shiney

zombemybabynow

I know what you mean: 'games workshop posters' but, i love Langley's work on Slaine.

In contrast, I much preferred Henry Flint's art on ABC Warriors than Clint Langley's!!!
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Colin YNWA

My apologise to Cosh who I've just noticed started a perfectly good thread on this topic a wee while ago (ok 2006) but I will try to make sure I track down the old threads before posting a new on in future as it puts a better context on these witterings of mine.

Anyway Cosh's thead is here

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,16359.0.html

ThryllSeekyr

Slaine Carnival must have been the first or second Slaine mini story I have read in full during it's current run since I joined the messageboard.

Now, I'm more than alittle embarrassed at commments I made earlier on. Rereading through my earlier posts wondering if anybody understoood it all.

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 13 August, 2010, 10:13:23 AM
I know what you mean: 'games workshop posters' but, i love Langley's work on Slaine.

In contrast, I much preferred Henry Flint's art on ABC Warriors than Clint Langley's!!!

I don't mind the Games Workshop poster look. As I think you find Clint Lanely's name in more than a few of the Warhammer40k picture books as well.