Main Menu

Wii/Xbox360/ps3 internet broadband???

Started by klute, 23 October, 2010, 03:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klute

Well im still buying my son a Wii for christmas and just need to decide whether to go with ps3 or xbox as such is there a way of connecting ps3/xbox to my existing broadband router without having to set it up as wireless?.

And is it possible to use/run 2 routers in the house rather than go wireless?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

James Stacey

Wii is wireless as standard, with an network connector costing extra. The xbox is networked as standard with wireless costing ( a lot) extra. No idea about the PS3 but my advice whichever you go for is avoid wireless like the plague

klute

QuoteWii is wireless as standard, with an network connector costing extra. The xbox is networked as standard with wireless costing ( a lot) extra. No idea about the PS3 but my advice whichever you go for is avoid wireless like the plague

Yeah im not a fan of wireless and have thus far managed to avoid using it despite having a router that (could go wireless)

Which was why i asked teh above question as i wouldnt mind using any or all three of them via internet but without having to setup a wireless network at home

Keef Monkey

Dunno if it helps but the latest xboxes (the "slims") are also wireless out of the box. I've found wireless great, with the only issue being the PC gets a weak signal at the other end of the flat. I guess in a house it could cause problems.

Rog69

The PS3 can use wifi or connect to your router via a wired connection.

Based on my experience with my PS3 I'd recommend using the wired option especially if you were to stream movies to it or use Iplayer.

vzzbux

Wired is the way to go with the PS3, but wireless is fine if you don't use it for much downloading.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

klute

QuoteDunno if it helps but the latest xboxes (the "slims") are also wireless out of the box. I've found wireless great, with the only issue being the PC gets a weak signal at the other end of the flat. I guess in a house it could cause problems.

Stupid question does the wireless xbox need to be connected to the router already in the house?

And if so is there anyway way of wiring it up to my router rather than set up wireless?

Keef Monkey

Quote from: klute on 24 October, 2010, 01:19:20 PM
QuoteDunno if it helps but the latest xboxes (the "slims") are also wireless out of the box. I've found wireless great, with the only issue being the PC gets a weak signal at the other end of the flat. I guess in a house it could cause problems.

Stupid question does the wireless xbox need to be connected to the router already in the house?

And if so is there anyway way of wiring it up to my router rather than set up wireless?

Its still got an ethernet port so if you're not wanting to go the wireless route you can still plug it into the router if you like. If you do go wireless though its just a case of telling the xbox your passphrase for your network and huzzah!

klute

spot on :) i was having trouble deciding which system to go with and have decided to do what ive done in the past and buy the xbox and ps3 :)

Im sure my son will feel the benefit of having the three systems in the house