Main Menu

Standard comic page size

Started by dancornwell, 08 August, 2012, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancornwell

Can anyone help me with the comic page set up. I draw on a3 Bristol board which I then scale down to print on a4 format. I need to know how much gutter space and bleed I should leave. I normally leave 1cm bleed and once the page is drawn then add gutter in photoshop. This isn't the right way I've heard. So all I need to know is what is the right scale to draw. Standard a3 page to be scaled down to a4. Not 2000ad or US format, I think it's European page format. All i can find is US sizes and PJ's 2000ad size.Thanks for any help

pauljholden

The important thing to know is what size the art will be printed at. Once you know that, you can draw it larger than that - provided that it's scaled up exactly - typically 40% larger than print.

I tend to leave a 5mm margin around all panels, as a matter of habit - you can make that any size you like, though, as long as the page stays readable.

There is no 'right' way. As long as it works, it works.

-pj

dancornwell

Cheers PJ. I buying some original art lately and noticed the space that's left on the page boarder. Such as trim bleed and live area. I've got your 2000ad sizes written down but for some reason my head can't convert standard a3 page. What would you leave as trim, bleed and live area? It's to be printed in a4 format.

pauljholden

When I'm drawing for A4 on A3 I usually don't bother with trim/bleed (in fact, just forget about trim, if you want something to bleed, just draw to the bleed).

The way bleed works is that the comic is printed on paper larger than A4 then trimmed to size (the trimming happens between the bleed area and the trim area).

If you're drawing for A4 it's, typically, because the printers you're using CAN'T trim at all, so bleed isn't an option.

I usually give myself a 20MM margin all the way round an A3 page (and if it's a stupid - for my website comic strip - I normally just free hand the line, by using the edge of the page as a guide and sliding my finger along it - while holding the pencil - you can get an accurate parallel line to the edge)

-pj

dancornwell

So forget about trim. Ok. Just sitting here with a blank page(always scary) and trying to get started. Loads of info about US formats but not European. Lots of things about 2\4 or 3/5 ratio whatever that all means. Just need the basics. My scanner isn't flat so as I only leave 10mm border, when I scan it it gets a bit distorted as it curls up from the edge of the scanner. Need to leave a bit more space around the edge but it's got to be in scale, if you know what I mean. God, I'm confusing myself :-)

pauljholden

If you're doing samples it really doesn't matter - just measure the finished art size off the comic in question, multiply by 40% and draw that size. If the work is good enough, the'll commission you regardless of your sample size.

If you're doing something for someone else - ask them what size to draw at (even if it's just a small press publisher)

If you're self publishing something at A4 - it really doesn't matter too much, a 10mm margin is plenty to make sure the mechanism in a photocopier/printer can grip the pages.

-pj

dancornwell

Many thanks PJ, really appriciate your help. Also great work on DEBRIS! Will any originals be availlable to buy? Inked on computer or brush and ink?

pauljholden

All inked by hand (couple of pages pencilled on computer-but all final inks are pen/brush)

Re buying. Not sure, I usually sell em locally or at cons. Will let you know!

dancornwell

Lovely work, and nice to see they are inked traditionally. Will keep my eyes open if and when they become availlable. Again that's for your advise :-)

michael kennedy

with self publishing or small scale publishing as long as it prints properly and works as a comic book in printed size then there should be no problem especially if its all done uniformly throughout then should be fine.

although the big publishers may get finickity about those kinda things