Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

That english breakfast story is peak Barton. The Carry On one though is the absolute pits. I assume that's in the Hachette volume? I seem to remember it was in the Extreme Edition.
Seems like I might be the only person here interested in picking up that Flesh book. I really like James Mckay's work - wasn't a fan at the time, but I'd like to revisit it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

I thought McKay was really good, lots of energy in his work. I'd happily see him back at some point.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 05 October, 2023, 10:36:47 AMThat english breakfast story is peak Barton. The Carry On one though is the absolute pits.
I recall that breakfast one. Really fun. Silly. Colourful. And I also recall the Carry On one. Yeah...

I imagine Shadows isn't going to hold up amazingly well, but I'm very happy to see it reprinted, alongside Tribal Memories – which I did enjoy on reading it a few years ago. In fact, I think I held on to an old Best of 2000 AD bookazine-style special, just because it had the full run in it.

sintec

Finished Damnation Station and Atavar over the weekend. Both excellent volumes imo.

Damnation Station takes a little while to get going but delivers some cracking episodes along the way. The fight with the giant fish has some stunning panels. Ending is maybe a little deus ex machina but, given the commentary in the back section, I guess they wanted to get it all wrapped fairly quickly. Go Machine and Dead Signal are also both solid additions with plenty of action.

Atavar was also great action packed hard sci-fi. Can't really go wrong with Abnett and Elson on a strip. Does feel like a story which could keep going as there are clearly more battles to be won. Still enjoyable stuff and not a bad place to end things. Sometimes you don't need to resolve all the loose ends.

My only complaint would be 2 books with not dissimilar plotlines dropping at the same time. But overall great stuff. Looking forwards to the Milligan book in the neat future.

castle4

So, with only 18 volumes yet to be formally announced, what are we collectively aware of that's either been confirmed or is visible on the spine art?

From memory, I think we know the following, but please jump in to correct me:

Crimson Traces (2 volumes?)
Harry 20 on the High Rock
Armoured Gideon
Lawless
Likely Dredd story at 180, as 179 is Dredd.

Possible Dan Dare, and a Tharg stories collection, as he is all over the spine art from vol 1-3 along with the dictators and thrill suckers and they've never shown up.

I'll try and post a very poor quality image of the final 40 books Spine art, which was all I could find online, as there are characters I don't recognise.

So that leaves about 10 spare slots.

You cannot view this attachment.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Good grief, I hope that Tharg is just on the spine art because 2000 AD and not because there's going to be a collection of Tharg strips. That would be a waste of a book.

Max Headroom

I still hold out hope of a second 'The Order' volume to complete the series. It is a lot more deserving of a place than some of what has been collected.

IndigoPrime

Wrapping up The Order in the UC would be an amazing thing to do and an excellent tribute to Burns's career. Of course, we've no idea how set in stone all this stuff is. But here's hoping.

rogue69

Hopefully they would add ABC Warriors Tin Man to the collection to finish off their, as they released Trifecta in the Judge Dredd collection around the same time they released the TPB

Max Headroom

I think I remember reading somewhere quite some time ago that all the content for these Hachette Partworks was selected personally by 2000ad editor, Matt Smith. If this is so and if that esteemed gentleman is reading this (and also providing all the decisions have not already been taken) please could we have a second book of 'The Order'? Pretty please!

castle4

Looking back a few pages, Proteus Vex, Kingmaker and Durham Red were also mentioned as still to come. If correct, only about seven unknowns.

My vote would be for vol 180 to include the missing PJ Maybe story and one final Savage volume to bring us up to date with his Prog appearances, bolstered by Disaster 1999 to complete the Bill Savage story and get an appropriate page count.

IndigoPrime

Pretty unlikely they'd shove a Dredd and two Pat Mills stories into a single volume. Savage + Disaster 1999 maybe.

castle4

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 October, 2023, 01:45:52 PMPretty unlikely they'd shove a Dredd and two Pat Mills stories into a single volume. Savage + Disaster 1999 maybe.

Sorry, that should have read as me suggesting two different volumes there.

robprosser

Is there enough "Fiends of the Eastern Front" to warrant a second collection?