Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

The Chicken Coup was hilarious, the Turkey Coup not so much.

Professor Bear

So, Turkey has 40 deployment-ready nuclear weapons and the second-biggest military in NATO.  I feel really foolish betting all my money on North Korea being the rogue power that causes humanity's extinction, but on the plus side I won't have to worry about anyone being around expecting me to make good on my debt.

So long, everyone.

Hawkmumbler

I'd be laughing if it wasn't genuinly terrifying.

Goaty

...So that means there's no Turkey for Xmas?

Michael Knight

The Turkish President is trying to turn Turkey away from being a Secular state that Ataturk created.
He is a Armenian Holocaust denier and a nasty piece of work it has to be said.
I met up with a Turkish mate tonight and he said there a conspiracy theory that Erdogan planned the failed coup himself as an excuse to further control both the Judiciary and Army both of whom have been seen as traditional defenders of secularism.
Its an interesting theory when one considers how Erdogan gave them the slip repeatedly that night.

GordonR

Quote from: Goaty on 15 July, 2016, 11:13:07 PM
...So that means there's no Turkey for Xmas?

290 people dead.  Any jokes about what happened in Nice as well?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Erdogen using the coup attempt to cement his hold on power, cleanse the other Turkish institutions of non Erdogen supporters and turn the secularist state into a Sunni diktat. 'You win the Game of thrones or you die' so expect a quick series of executions followed by much International condemnation etc but Erdogen knows he holds the winning hand- with Europe over refugees and the Americans with cuddly Isis or Daesh or whatever they're called now.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

I've just been chatting online with a Turkish girl i used to teach - she's a TV journalist in Denmark these days.  She and her family are firmly against the coup and support the president.  I must admit to being somewhat clueless about the whole situation; I'll look into it more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

ARM sold. Theresa May spinning its knock-down purchase as some kind of win for British business. I despair.

Professor Bear

And yet also repeatedly refusing to actually tell us the cost of it.

She might be telling the truth about it being a bargain, though, as by the time Trident is actually replaced, it'll be outdated and vulnerable technology.

Something Fishy

very sad news on ARM, I was only just talking about to my wife two days back, explaining it was the jewel in our technological crown.

pound shop Britain.. everything is for sale.

Tjm86

Quote from: Something Fishy on 18 July, 2016, 09:47:02 PM

pound shop Britain.. everything is for sale.

Bankrupt Britain ... everything going cheap.

Old Tankie

NapalmKev

Quote from: Old Tankie on 19 July, 2016, 08:43:00 AM
You little Englanders!

You massive Tory!

In other news - Tennis balls make the banned list at an American rally! The article is a couple of days old but the subject was talked about this morning on the telly. A lot of the items on the list make sense but some of it is blatent clownery. And guns are allowed!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Old Tankie on 19 July, 2016, 08:43:00 AM
You little Englanders!
No irony in this, from a borderline kipper, is there? :lol: