Main Menu

Help with the Woman's Weekly puzzle page.

Started by JamesC, 31 August, 2018, 05:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Hi Squaxx, my mum always asks for my help with the link word puzzles in her magazine. We're stuck this week and need some help.
What's a word that can go after Air or before Guide? And what's a word that can go after Close or before Off?
All words need to be 6 letters long.

If you get them right I might have some more next week!

I, Cosh

Air [spoiler]travel[/spoiler] guide

Keep thinking about [spoiler]season [/spoiler]for the other one, but it's wrong.
We never really die.

JamesC

We thought of that answer for Air - Guide but it doesn't fit with the next level of the puzzle (you then take the highlighted letters of each answer which form an anagram. We've already worked out the answer to the anagram from the answers we already have. It's Botticelli.)

I, Cosh

okay, what are the missing letters and their positions?
We never really die.

JamesC

I think we might have them. We needed a C and an I.

Air - Guide. The third letter had to be a C or I. Thinking it could be Pocket.

Close - Off. Could be Finish, giving us the I.

Tiplodocus

Those would both be my guess.

Or, you know, knob.  For both.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 August, 2018, 06:49:14 PM
Those would both be my guess.

Or, you know, knob.  For both.

Knob off?  Not heard that expression before, I was thinking f[spoiler]inish[/spoiler] off.

(what did you think was behind the spoiler?)

JayzusB.Christ

[spoiler]Call[/spoiler], surely.

Also, before you click on the forum section, this thread is titled 'Need some help with the woman.'
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X
link=topic=45433.msg990879#msg990879
date=1535753370

Man, I love this forum.

Me too! :D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 August, 2018, 09:33:24 PM

Also, before you click on the forum section, this thread is titled 'Need some help with the woman.'

Didn't that happen once?
There was a charity shop worker involved, I half remember...

Cant remember if it was the crazy Aussie guy who loved Slaine or the Wolfie one who was eventually banned, or indeed the one who posted the pic of the gapping A-hole  :-X
DDT did a job on me

JamesC

I thought it was our resident Gundam-lover who proclaims things as 'arsom'?

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 September, 2018, 12:59:00 PM
Cant remember if it was the crazy Aussie guy who loved Slaine or the Wolfie one who was eventually banned, or indeed the one who posted the pic of the gapping A-hole  :-X

Ahh the honoured departed, we shall remember them (but yeah,  it was a certain 21st century leader of cybers that was trying to make a deductable donation - still very much with us!  :wave:)

JayzusB.Christ

Their names shall live forever. But this being a website for fans of a sci fi comic, I'm amazed there have been so few.  The first was a 14-year-old called Death Monkey, trolling before there was even a name for it then revealing his true self with a grovelling apology. He'd be in his 30s now - feck.

I remember the Wolf lad being an intense individual but either can't remember or didn't know he was banned. What was that for?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2018, 02:33:45 PM
Their names shall live forever. But this being a website for fans of a sci fi comic, I'm amazed there have been so few.  The first was a 14-year-old called Death Monkey, trolling before there was even a name for it then revealing his true self with a grovelling apology. He'd be in his 30s now - feck.

I doubt it pre-dates the use of the word - there are references to 'troll' going back to 1993 and 1994 on usenet...