Main Menu

HOUND

Started by blackmocco, 25 April, 2014, 02:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but it looked appropriate. The first 21 pages of Paul J. Bolger's HOUND can be seen here via his Kickstarter page. HOUND is his telling of Cu Chulainn. Well worth drooling over and, if you're so inclined, contributing to so he can get the next three volumes of it up and running. Some breathtaking artwork here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438026311/hound-a-celtic-myth-set-in-ancient-ireland/posts/822093
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

amines2058

Wow, cracking art there, and what looks like the start of a cracking story. I would especially like to read and compare and contrast with our very own Slaine. I especially liked seeing the sky chariots within the first few pages!

TordelBack

Really great art, nice structure, concept and plot, and very commendable (if a bit slavish) attention to the metalwork designs.  However, some of the writing in the narration is pretty bloody rough, and it's hard to get an idea of how long this GN you get will be... I am very tempted to back this.

EDIT: I see it's 160 pages.

TordelBack

Quote...will allow him to take 3 months off, in which time he will get half of the 160 pages done. The other half will be done in weekends and evenings until it is finished.

Hmmm.  80 finished pages in 3 months seems like a hell of a push if you're not a professional comics artist (I don't think animator is necessarily the same thing) and you're going to be doing giant battle scenes at this level of detail, and the 'weekends and evenings' for the other 60 seems nightmarish.

Maybe a bit ambitious in the timescale department?  I'm not so much worried about late delivery as complete burnout.  Any pencil-monkeys care to comment?

Fungus

Ta, like this (almost completely) b & w art a lot. Moody and well-judged throughout. Written well too. Great stuff.

blackmocco

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 April, 2014, 09:07:43 AM
Quote...will allow him to take 3 months off, in which time he will get half of the 160 pages done. The other half will be done in weekends and evenings until it is finished.

Hmmm.  80 finished pages in 3 months seems like a hell of a push if you're not a professional comics artist (I don't think animator is necessarily the same thing) and you're going to be doing giant battle scenes at this level of detail, and the 'weekends and evenings' for the other 60 seems nightmarish.

Maybe a bit ambitious in the timescale department?  I'm not so much worried about late delivery as complete burnout.  Any pencil-monkeys care to comment?

Well, I know Paul well although I hope that won't be taken as bias with any responses. I met him at the Don Bluth studios in Dublin in the 80's and even back then he was beating this tale into shape. He's a phenomenally talented artist and director and I would think well capable of getting the art done in time. Animation's all about deadlines in the end (sadly!) and he's got a style here that's pretty economical. Not a lot of cross-hatching or rendering and he works digitally, which I can vouch moves things along far more quickly than paper and pen - for me, anyway.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 April, 2014, 09:07:43 AMMaybe a bit ambitious in the timescale department?  I'm not so much worried about late delivery as complete burnout.  Any pencil-monkeys care to comment?

I'd imagine he'd already have the book storyboarded given his animation background, and that would knock a bit off the time spent on planning the pages and he'd just have to figure out his turnaround from layouts to fully-inked - given he's a professional, I think he'd know that already and plan accordingly* to get the timescale he suggests, though a page a day is the accepted yardstick for most comic artists.

* Though I have it on good authority that those artists fool enough to start one of them there "family" things find a sufficient amount of free time to be elusive.

blackmocco

According to the man himself, he's got all 500 pages sketched out over three books and ready to tighten up.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Sorry for the pimpage but I wanna see this book. Only two days left and so, so close to meeting the goal. Every little bit helps if anyone wants to donate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438026311/hound-a-celtic-myth-set-in-ancient-ireland/posts/822093

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

TordelBack

Thanks for the reassurance, Prof and Blackmocco - I shouldn't tar everyone with my own overly-optimistic brush! 

I'm in.

Richmond Clements

I met Paul at Titiancon in Belfast last year and saw the art from this and the trailer he had made - it is incredible stuff.

JohnW

Saw this and bought it without ever having heard of it before. Just look at that cover and tell me you wouldn't have done the same.

Five-hundred plus pages of iron-age magic and bloodshed and I'm not thinking it too many.

But the price! My God! The price! I wake up in the night, startled at how much I paid for this.
I could have bought it off Amazon and saved myself a tenner or more, but it would have arrived with crumpled corners and my local bookshop would have been that little bit poorer. Truth was though, my lizard brain saw and said, 'I want'.
So now I have to live on turnip peelings and find space for another big fat hardback in my steadily shrinking house.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

Oh my god, that looks amazing.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

Yip looks great
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JohnWare on 18 May, 2023, 09:27:25 AMSo now I have to live on turnip peelings and find space for another big fat hardback in my steadily shrinking house.

You build a new house from the hardbacks...
@jamesfeistdraws