Main Menu

D’Israeli or Ian Gibson - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 May, 2021, 06:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Number 2 with a bullet and this time we have a particularly top player for the Current Team against a Droid who gave good Droid... or robot.

Ian Gibson was a shock early victim of the harsh draw in Round 1 of the Favourite Classic Artist as he pulled finalist Cam Kennedy, who he ran close. So to be honest we don't really know his true form. He'll be keen to come back I'm sure.

Fascinatingly though he has come up against another finalist, this time from the Current tourney - D'Israeli. The Droid who toppled the mighty Henry Flint and in the Champion of Champions ran Ron Smith very close. So while Ian Gibson might be misrepresented it's possible, juuust possible that Team Current could take both of these opening ties to take a shock early lead?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

D'Israeli - more info

Or

Ian Gibson - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends bright and breezy Friday 7th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

Rogue Judge

D'Israeli 1; Ian Gibson 4

Both are great cartoonist style artists, but Gibson has drawn more of what I like (classic Dredd, Halo Jones, even a Stront story).

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

D'Israeli - 3

Ian Gibson - 2

Keep on changing this one. Matt is a current droid and so fresh in my thoughts. Must remember how much I enjoyed Gibson's later work. Anyhow.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

abelardsnazz

Ian Gibson's work includes some absolute classics - Halo Jones, especially Book 3, Robo-Hunter, Dredd...

But then D'Israeli has a hugely impressive body of work too.

On balance, for me, Ian Gibson 3, D'Israeli 2.

GoGilesGo

BPP

Holy cow, it's absolute Titans time.

2.5/2.5

I can't split these guys. Gibson was my fave droid as a kid, D'Israeli is a modern mad genus behind some of the best of the last 15 years.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 04 May, 2021, 09:26:29 AM
Holy cow, it's absolute Titans time.

2.5/2.5

I can't split these guys. Gibson was my fave droid as a kid, D'Israeli is a modern mad genus behind some of the best of the last 15 years.

Alas no half marks allowed. Its cruel I know but I wanted to make folks land one way or another.

IndigoPrime

Gibson has done some classic fare, but got lazy later on (Backgrounds? Pfft! They don't pay me enough for backgrounds!) and I always had an issue with his pouty page 3 depiction of women. I liked his imagination with robots though, and Halo Jones mostly remains very good.

D'Israeli is in another league, to my mind. Constantly inventive. Working up new styles to suit a strip rather than doing more of the same. So much detail. So much creativity. So much craft.

So...

D'Israeli: 4
Gibson: 1

AlexF

Gibson is a long-term favrouite of mine, but I can't deny he goes through stages when he's really pulling out the stops (Halo Book 3, Revenge of the Taxidermist), and times when he's coasting (most of his Dredds post Full Mental Jacket).
D'Israeli, on the other hand, never gives less than everything he's got, and finds ways to deliver new styles on the regular. But I don't always like those styles...
But the level of detail he put into things like Creation and Suadade were just too good to ignore!

Aargh.
Gonna go Gibson 3, D'Israeli 2

I, Cosh

D'Israeli's relentless reinvention and creativity is something truly wonderful to witness. Just his name on a strip has me excited to see what he's come up with this time.

Unfortunate draw for the veteran here. Gibson does have his own idiosyncratic style, but it's not one I've ever really warmed to. On top of that Robo-Hunter is the one classic era strip that I never liked. Halo Jones would surely have given him a point or two against another artist but here it's...

D'Israeli 5 - 0 Gibson
We never really die.

paddykafka

Dark Jimbo

Peak Gibson is phenomenal - especially in colour - but D'Israeli nudges it by virtue of being such an exciting innovator and re-inventor.

D'Israeli 3, Gibson 2.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Very hard to call. D'Israeli is probably my favourite current artist (ask me on a particular day), but Gibson has delivered some of my favourite progwork of all in Robo-Hunter, Maze Dumoir, Dredd and of course, Halo Jones.

I'm going to go Gibson 3 : 2 D'Israeli, but I'm not happy about it.