Main Menu

Cinema Problem

Started by GrinningChimera, 09 June, 2014, 06:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

So I went to see X-men the other day. I'm sitting in the cinema, watching the film when I hear this noise from behind me. "Hey Bro........yeah I'm at the movies..........nah I'm in x-men.......like right now.....yeah bro it's on right now...... yeah in 3d...... I'll come see you after the movie......"

This was about an hour in to the film. There were only about 8 people in the place because it was during the day on a week day. And this guy was on his own. Now what would be the correct way to handle the situation?

TordelBack

amines2058

Insertion of phone into rear orifice would be sufficient I think.
That is if he was on a phone of course, if he was talking to himself then stay well clear as he is obviously a mentalist  ;)

Frank

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 09 June, 2014, 06:37:43 AM
what would be the correct way to handle the situation?

Make so much racket he can't hear what the other guy is saying.

ThryllSeekyr

I can't stand people who insist on using their mobile phones and text sending machines in cinemas. It's the ones that sit right next to you or in front of you while they're staring into the lit up surfaces of these their gadget that I find most distracting. There were a few occasions where I asked them to put it away, your ruining the film for me and some even complied.

There were also two occasion where I had a small child sit behind me and just ask questions and carry on noisily while my parents had taken me to see the Dark-Crystal for the first time. A long time ago now.

There was another time when I was watching the most recent re-adaption of The Jungle Book. the one with John Cleese in it. The middle aged dad and gave a very audible running commentary of it all film. I think I did let him know he was annoying me and couldn't even be bothered to move away. I also noticed he was very heavy set and had a expensive looking ring on his finger. He was also very well dressed and possibly could have afforded to have me beaten up by some goons outside. But that never happened. I don't remember telling some friends about this as one of them just told me not to be so sensitive and I should have found another seat.

The worst thing that has happened in to me in cinema was during a 3D viewing of Avatar where I had a crowd of people sitting around me near the back. While a very tall, guy sat behind me and constantly pushed forward on the back of my seat with his feet. While a much smaller guy sat in front of me and kept telling me not to push back on the back of his seat.  As my knees were unavoidably doing this because of what the fellow behind me was doing.  While I tried to explain this to him, I couldn't do anything about the bloke behind me., He wouldn't listen and I was thinking of taking more violent action. But I imagined they were actually a team of people working against me and felt outnumbered. So, I got up while uncontrollably swearing at the fellow behind me as I went. I don't think he was either listening or could hear me over the volume of the film. He never react to me at all. This was right before the a climatic scene towards the end of the movie. So I didn't see all it.

I informed the cinema staff behind the ticket desk and described the fellow sitting behind me and they said they would speak with this person before he exits the building after he leaves the cinema. I'm not sure what they were planning, but I decided not to stick around to find out, but not before they reimbursed me with a voucher to see the same film or another film for free.

There were coupe of times when people would play with those annoying laser pointers buy directing them at the large silver-screen. I clearly remember this happening during my first viewing of Starship-Troopers. It was during the dance scene near the start, but this was stopped after a usher came in and told them to cut it out. I think they had to be found...it took them a while though.

When this happed on another occasion, I was so annoyed I got and grabbed one of the staff members to come in with me and root out the perp with the laser pointer. Fortunately, the movie hadn't started and was still showing the advertisements. So I didn't miss anything. But I felt I was made to feel like I was bad guy or scape=goat as the staff member just stood right beside me indicating to everybody I was the reason that they were stopping the film until this owner of the laser-pointer was rooted out. Though, this worked eventually worked in my favour, I also felt the angry glares of everybody around me because I complained.

That's all In know......

GrinningChimera

Note to self - don't go to the cinema with ThryllSeekyr :D

Montynero

I find aggressively shouting "Will you be quiet, please" really loudly without turning round works.  The earlier the better. It think it's because  a) the shock  b) it's dark, so this random voice could belong to any number of hugely muscled psychopaths as far at the perps are concerned c) You're only saying what 99% of the other people in there are thinking and d) it's technically polite & non confrontational, a simple request.

If that doesn't work I repeat the same request with swearing. And on the very rare occasions  that doesn't work it's because they're thoughtless toe-rags, so I go outside and ask the manager to sort it out or give me a refund. They always sort it out.

I don't actually mind a bit of crowd participation, whistles, shrieks, screams, cheers, jokes, sweet wrappers - anything that's related to enjoying the film experience itself. But when its random noise unrelated to the film we've all gathered to enjoy, its anti-social and bad for cinema. It's our duty to speak out.

Banners

Saw Faust at the Royal Opera House recently, and whilst no-one actually talked on their phones, several text message alerts went off, and the bloke sat behind us constantly fiddled with the cacophonous cagoule on his lap.

Even amongst such hifalutin company and prestige, and despite being sat near Jonathan Dimbleby, there is no escape from the detestable horror that is other people.

(Predictably I did nothing other than cast the odd harsh glance).

Fungus

Quote from: Banners on 10 June, 2014, 10:52:02 AM
there is no escape from the detestable horror that is other people.

Yup. Hell is other people [in your cinema ☆], to quote some famous guy.

☆ Or opera house  :)

Proudhuff

recently sat near a couple who acted like they were in their living room, normal conversation, up down, oh 'who'e ee again' juice, sweets each accompanied by a lengthy what kind? 'oh I don't liike them' debate, unfortunately they were no spring chickens in the first flush of their fifties, but older and should have know better... we moved seats.
DDT did a job on me

ThryllSeekyr

I forgot to mention these three big guys sitting behind me, they kept putting their feet up against my seat, and around me as I was trying to watch what I remember to be Mortal-Kombat-Two during a three movie  midnight marathon at the Indoorpilly eight.  I might have guess they were the Aussie equivalent of Foot-Ball-Enthused-Frat-House boys just having fun. I just thought they were bloody annoying and wondered if they were contemplating following me outside and beating me up after I turned around few times to just give them a dirty look.

There were also some wild -boys making a noise at the George street Cinema in Sydney. (The Main-One across the road from Macca's and Planet-Hollywood while I was seeing Aliens-Vs-the-Predator for the first time. They weren't evening sitting close, but they kept yelling about some bullshit and fortunately it ended by before it too far into the movie. The cinema I was sitting in was mostly empty except for them, some others and me. The movie was pretty bad. I wasn't going to say so at the time, because, I was really excited about this film.

They were the only times I had problems seeing a film at the cinema and I do go out to see movies very frequently and I really have never had a any problems when going to the movies with other people.

Please remember that.

Dandontdare

everybody that I usually go to the cinema with wants to sit as far back as possible, but I don't get this - I prefer to sit further forward - I want the screen to completely fill my field of vision for that immersive experience and while you can't block out noises, at least you can't see all those annoying other people. If you get right at the front, it's an almost IMAX experience!

radiator

You should have travelled back in time to stop the invention of mobile phones.

pauljholden

Lift your phone to your ear, and as loudly as possible shout "Yeah, sorry mate, I can't hear you - I'm in the cinema and some cock is talking on his phone".

-pj

GrinningChimera

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2014, 02:11:20 PM
everybody that I usually go to the cinema with wants to sit as far back as possible, but I don't get this - I prefer to sit further forward - I want the screen to completely fill my field of vision for that immersive experience and while you can't block out noises, at least you can't see all those annoying other people. If you get right at the front, it's an almost IMAX experience!

Obviously your mothers nagging about sitting to close to the screen had little impact on you then :P I'd wager that is the reason most people don't sit at the front. Although I doubt they would admit to it.