Main Menu

What was your best game?

Started by Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK, 22 April, 2017, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I had to beg, borrow and steal money to get this game and it was worth every cent !!!
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dandontdare

Wizball was one of my favourites, but we used to play it on a b&w TV so guessing the exact colour of the paint drops from the shade of grey made it even trickier!

wedgeski

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 February, 2021, 03:04:17 PM
Wizball was one of my favourites, but we used to play it on a b&w TV so guessing the exact colour of the paint drops from the shade of grey made it even trickier!
Ditto. :) In fact I never really played C64 games in colour until I bought one on eBay.

IndigoPrime

Wizball in B+W must have been tricky. Not my favourite C64 game (that's probably Paradroid), but up there with the best. I got it up to 999,999 points during one session (at which point, I figured I probably didn't need to play it again).

broodblik

Paradroid was awesome as well, nostalgia what will we do without you

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I'd argue these games are still great. Most C64 titles aren't — many of them have aged terribly. But Paradroid still has what it takes for me, even today.

broodblik

I never revisit these old games, my memory of them is more important too keep intact. They where awesome growing up but now most of these title did not age well. Paradroid is more about the gameplay mechanics than the actual look of it (like Tetris addictive but looks boring)

IndigoPrime

I used to write for Retro Gamer, and so had to dig back into old games for research. Many of the games were quite a trudge. Some weren't. Robotron: 2084 still stands up as a heart-pumping arcade experience, for example. I'd happily have that as a cab. Mostly, it's the games that are the opposite of what you say below that suffer — so those reliant on aesthetics more than mechanics. A scant few of course hit the sweet spot of having both.

wedgeski

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2021, 04:27:54 PM
I'd argue these games are still great. Most C64 titles aren't — many of them have aged terribly. But Paradroid still has what it takes for me, even today.
I still play a few regularly (well, occasionally)(more than never at least :) ), including Armalyte, Creatures 1&2, Paradroid, Buggy Boy, and many others. I also enjoy browsing my Zzap!'s and diving into games I could never afford, or that were disk only. Finding one of those that stands up without the nostalgia scaffold is a rare, rare treat. And of course, there are plenty of new C64 games to buy for pennies if you're into that kind of thing. All in all, still loving the 64.

The Bissler

A few Spectrum classics: Lords of Midnight, Rebelstar 1 & 2, Laser Squad. Hard to pick between any one of those, but Lords of Midnight would probably edge it as my favourite!

Richard

The Enigmatic Dr X

Way of the Exploding Fist

I was the zen master of that. No one could beat me. No. One.
Lock up your spoons!

dweezil2

3D Starstrike on the ZX Spectrum or Streets Of Rage II on the Sega Mega Drive.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

milstar

Reading these comments, I've been taken away to the past, my childhood. Which started somewhere in the mid 90s. Yogi Bear, platform game, and Lion King on Sega Megadrive. On PC, beside Blood, I remember some cool golf game, that unlike normal golf games, this one had quirky level design, filled with various obstacles. I remember one level took place under the walter, with octopus that moves your ball away if it gets near him. Then, Pac-Man ofcourse. Atomic Robo Kid. Tekken 3 I played almost every day on the arcade. Hm... Oh, yes, Need For Speed High Stakes, oh that was blast. Despite my awful driving then, I couldn't waste one day if I didn't play the game. Jurasic Park. Microsoft Fury3. Yep, these are all games that occupied me for hours and days.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.