Main Menu

Prog 2212 - Elecrtifying 100 page Xmas Issue!

Started by Dandontdare, 15 December, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 19 December, 2020, 01:46:03 PM
Ah, right. Totally missed that, thanks.

Not gonna lie — it passed me by at first! :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

ianlineham@yahoo.com

Really enjoyed the prog, Chimpsky  good fun, Stront feeling a good fit despite no John or Carlos, Proteus Vex off to a flyer, so's Durham Red, even enjoyed Survival Geeks (and presumably means it can never come back?)

But can anyone explain why I'm ok with Hershey being back and on a mission but I'm disappointed they've resurrected Dirty Frank?

broodblik

This is where the tradition of the xmas prog started from a David Bishop tweet:

Twenty-one years @2000AD published its first end of year 100-page special issue. Making that happen was one of my proudest achievements as editor, and the tradition continues to this day. Looking back, the line-up for Prog 2000 was pretty special... Brian Bolland on cover art!

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 December, 2020, 01:34:50 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 19 December, 2020, 01:25:09 PM
In fact the only disappointment was turning the page to find the whole strip wasn't graced by Dylan Teague's colours.

Dylan did do the grey tones, though! It was Lawrence's idea to switch to grey wash after two pages of colour, as a callback to the old Starlord days, when a lot of strips used grey washes (thanks to being on better paper than 2000AD) but the opening spread would be in colour if it was on the centres.

I was wondering that.  Worked very well too, in my book - also suited a SD story by an artist other than Carlos, as many Starlord ones were. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 17 December, 2020, 05:54:37 PM
My wife is a cockney- I have literally no idea what she is saying most of the time, but it's mostly swears. I have learned to read her elbows and the degree of their vigorous gesticulating in order to judge her mood.

*applause*
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

norton canes

Chunk two - The Middle Chunk

Deadworld: Yeah, positively festive compared to the previous minisodes. Really made me want some Banzo!

Proteus Vex: I'll happily admit I enjoyed the first chapter mostly for Henry Flint's artwork rather than the story. And when Jake Lynch takes over then let's face it, the artwork ain't gonna get any less pretty. Still, this time round there seemed to be more lightness of touch and a little humour here and there which made it a much better read. Great stuff, and I'll be very if it continues in this vein, even though the wider aspects of the plot might elude me.

Oh I should also say how nice it's been to have longer instalments of some stories - ten pages really gives you the chance to lose yourself in something. Would it be practical for the weekly prog to regularly have double-length instalments of some strips?

Slaine: Ha! Wonder what frustrations Uncle Pat was venting when he wrote this?! Let's see what kind of story we get this time round, but frankly, I wouldn't dare criticise it :)

Laser Skeleton

norton canes

repoman

Deadworld was good.  Like others have said, not quite as bleak as usual. 

I'm hoping we see more from the four Dark Judges soon though.  Kek-W has done great stuff with Mortis and Fear in recent years.

BPP

Dredd felt like a regene tale. Not my bag at all.
Vex is immediately 20 times less enjoyable without flint as the mania is lost. Still good but clearly different.
Survival geeks was lovely
Strontium Dog was ace - the art work reimagined the series from comedy sci-fi adventure to gritty space western really beautifully. I'd happily read more without feeling it was treading on toes.

Thanks to all the droids who worked on 2000ad this year, enjoy your oil break!
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

I have kinda dropped off from doing weekly Prog reviews, mainly due to my Progs not always being delivered in good time, but I just wanted to make a general comment on 2000AD.

It seems popular to knock it in certain places on the Internet, but for me it's still a strong publication and there have been many great stories this year, including Feral and Foe, The Out, Diaboliks, Survival Geeks, Full Tilt Boogie, Proteus Vex, Fiends of the Eastern Front.

It is good to see other self published and indie comics coming onto the market, but for me they have a long way to go before they better 2000AD.

Just one comment on the year end Prog. Was anyone else disappointed by the new Slaine story? Given how long we have had to wait for this, I was hoping it would be amazing, but really it wasn't.

The script just wasn't that exciting and the art was no where near the level I had expected from the preview glimpses we had seen. Best ever on Slaine? Not in my book; I'll take Fabry, Bisley, McMahon, Belardinelli, Langley, and Davis over this.

norton canes

Chunk three - The Final Chunk

Hershey: Have to say, this was the closest the prog came to a bit of a let-down. Not actually in let-down territory, but on the hinterlands. I got no problem with the character returning and really liked the last chapter,  but Hershey coaching ringside while dealing with a couple of standard-issue hoodlums wasn't the most spectacular way to kick off proceedings this time around.

And Dirty Frank's real name is Frank Rijkaard? Does he know Judge Van Basten and Judge Gullit?

Time-Twister: Nice. Proper laugh at "This one's just a time loop".

Durham Red: Alec Worley continues to put a great spin on the character and some unexpected but very welcome twists in her stories. This opener was really cinematic, could imagine it translating well to the small screen.

Don't want to wish Christmas away but roll on 6th January, DREDD // SLAINE // VEX // RED // HERSHEY looks like a fantastic line-up. Massive thanks to Tharg and all droids concerned for keeping the progs coming in the most challenging of circumstances. Whatever next year brings, I hope 2000 AD continues to be there with some much-needed thrill-power each week.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 December, 2020, 12:51:45 PM

The script just wasn't that exciting and the art was no where near the level I had expected from the preview glimpses we had seen. Best ever on Slaine? Not in my book; I'll take Fabry, Bisley, McMahon, Belardinelli, Langley, and Davis over this.

Now, personally, I think Slaine's glory days finished after the Horned God, and while I always enjoy him in the prog, I don't think anything since compares to what went before. But I did like this - I mean, the script is definitely more of the 'where can he go now?' type of thing it has been for years, it's a decent read and I do think the artwork is incredible.  Maybe not quite up there with some of the legends you list, but amazing nonetheless.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 22 December, 2020, 03:12:37 PM
Dirty Frank's real name is Frank Rijkaard? Does he know Judge Van Basten and Judge

Doh! I didn't make the connection as I read it. And I like footie almost as much as I like 2000AD. One for the "things that went over your head" thread.