Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeFuzzed

X-Men: First Class, 2011.

Saw this for the first time today and it was actually quite entertaining. Not as good as I'd heard, but not as bad either. Didn't feel much for anyone except Magneto and even then, there was something lacking. And too many times, it felt like they were 'acting', pausing to let the other one say their line - all quite forced. That diamond girl was probably the worst but the much acclaimed James McAvoy didn't shine much either. I heard about the chemistry between X and Magneto but again, it came across very forced to me. And the big showdown was a big letdown, and I could have done without the training scenes.

Now I've written it down, I'm finding it hard to make the good bits list. It's one of those movies that's good fun despite itself. But the best thing was the three secs of Wolverine and at the same time, I wish they'd cut ties with the previous set and made this all new.

Professor Bear

I loved the giant wheels on Xavier's wheelchair in a deeply unironic manner.  Also the way someone was talking about racism and the camera zooms in on Darwin was hilarious, as was Xavier's trying to talk ex Nazi hunter Eric down from killing the soldiers at the end by offering that "they're only obeying orders."

Hoagy

It's been there since time immemorium with X-Men. Losing your head does not compare with losing your legs. That's the whole reason the film got made. Why everybody's suddenly backing Magneto's play is beyond me.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keys Tone Head on 19 July, 2012, 12:29:18 PMWhy everybody's suddenly backing Magneto's play is beyond me.

If I had to guess, it was because he's a Holocaust survivor, Nazi hunter, and makes a point of telling everyone racism is wrong and to stand up for themselves.  Charles, on the other hand, is a rich white dude who tells them there's something shameful in what they are and that they should hide from the world.  I know which one I'd listen to in a pinch.

Hoagy

HE'S LOST THE USE OF HIS LEGS AND IS STILL ALIVE!

I can't bring myself to the point of choosing which loss is more ridiculous. Magneto's loss humanity through lack of humanity or Dr X's atonal loss of legs.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Tiplodocus

IP MANEven though I know nothing about the man himself (or martial arts movies for that matter), I'm guessing this was not historically accurate. Who cares though? It's fucking great with fine central performance (Donnie Yen is fantastic) and great little fights that don't outstay their welcome.  Is IP MAN 2 worth a punt?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SmallBlueThing

NEKROMANTIK

Something of a guilty pleasure, jorg buttgereit's infamous film still proves shocking after- what is it, 20something years?

Subtitled, cack-handedly directed, and never once convincing, it caused something of a moral panic back in the day, but nowhere near as big a fuss as those with a financial investment would have liked. Briefly, it's features a couple into necrophilia, who remove corpses from road accidents, bring them home and fuck them. She runs off with a corpse, and he ends up stabbing himself in the stomach while wanking until his spurting cum turns crimson.

Or it would if my vhs copy wasnt so old and warped that it remained either black and white throughout, or that odd green and blue stripeyness that only nth generation videos ever display.

To be butally honest, i was very tired and fell asleep partway through, missing the bit where they kill and skin a rabbit. I felt this no loss.

It would be easy to dismiss nekromantik as a load of shit made at the arse-end of (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) a period where amateurs with access to cheap equipment for the first time tried to outdo, and cash in on, the 'video nasty' movement of a few years earlier. If buttgereit hadnt gone on to do interesting stuff afterwards (not least tv scifi show 'lexx') you'd rightly put this with such other contemporary 'classics' as 'violent shit' ("made by the violent shitters"- oh my sides) and whatever jake west did next.
But he did- notably 'der todes king', which i hope to watch next if i accidentally find my video copy while looking for old episodes of filthy rich & catflap, like i did with nekromantik the other night.

SBT

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 July, 2012, 10:29:26 PM
Is IP MAN 2 worth a punt?
I enjoyed it, but it's not in the same league as the first one.
We never really die.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Just watched Lockout. Not very good. But it was cool to see a action hero who smokes again. And in space too!

JOE SOAP

Like that guy in Prometheus with hash in his space-helmet.

shaolin_monkey

I don't recall Harry Twenty on High Rock smoking? Oh yeah, it's not an adaptation of that, is it... I keep forgetting.

judgefloyd

another thing that made Prof X much less worth following than Magneto-to-be is that the young X looked alarmingly like David Cameron.

Mudcrab

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 July, 2012, 12:43:37 AM
Like that guy in Prometheus with hash in his space-helmet.

Heh, one of my Simon Davis Sin Dex originals has got Finnegan smoking inside his space helmet  :)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

hoops

Went to the cinema for a Batman Begins/The Dark Knight double bill last night...great to see them on the big screen again