Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Off to watch Oz: The Great and the Powerful in a bit. If I feel up to it I might stay and watch the Maniac remake also.  ::)

Hawkmumbler

Double bill of:

Oz: The Great steaming pile of wank....wait. Oh dear god this was bad, just exruciating for 99%* of the time. Avoid, just avoid. 'Shudder'

Thankfully...

Maniac (2013) Faired FAR better. What a truely great take on a classic horror film, one of the greats in fact. Recomended.

*The remaining 1% comprised Bruce Campbell's cameo(s) and the single minuet of Evil Dead homage...really, in a PG movie.

Judge Olde

I watched 'Mr Nobody' - anyone here seen that?  :-\

Tiplodocus

PAUL
It's not exactly SPACED The Movie is it. Just not funny enough.

RED TAILS.
Like a fifties propaganda piece, cheese and all, made with spectacular digital effects. Twenty minutes too long (lose the love story and The Great Escape). And strafing and blowing chunks out of a destroyer? Wtf? But blimey, look at those P40s and P51s fly.

VALENTINES DAY
A breathtakingly attractive cast make LOVE ACTUALLY but decide it's better without the jokes. Best bit? A microsecond glimpse of Jennifer Garner's arse. So switch off after that. (About five minutes in).

Or rather:

Shit.

Red Shit.

Valentine's Shit.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

Last night I watched 'Perrier's Bounty' which was OK - lots of Irish criminal types larking about to not much purpose. Also saw The Grey which was passable but ultimately unsatisfying.

Link Prime

Quote from: Buttonman on 17 March, 2013, 06:31:39 PM
Last night I watched 'Perrier's Bounty' which was OK - lots of Irish criminal types larking about to not much purpose.

Try and get your hands on 'Love / Hate' on DVD to see a little bit of a more realistic portrayal of the typical Irish criminal.

Didn't like 'The Grey' that much by the way? Thought it was one of the better nights in the cinema last year.

Spikes

Death Wish 2.
A right load of old bollocks, but still..

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 March, 2013, 07:22:36 PM
Death Wish 2.
A right load of old bollocks, but still..
Wait until you see DW 3.  :lol:

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Prince Caspian.  Now I was a big fan of Narnia as a young spode, and the first film didn't do much for me with its attempt to Peter Jacksonify a very simple little kids' book, all the while incongruously retaining Santa and the rest. A brief glimpse of Prince Caspian on telly was enough to convince me that I had no interest in tackling that one.  However,my eldest is very into the films, and a recent exposure to Voyage of the Dawntreader revealed a much more confident film than the first one.  So today we ended up watching Caspian, which fully embraces its role as The Two Towers But With Furry Jesus - and you know what, it's not half bad for it. 

It bears little relation to my Narnia, but that doesn't mean it can't be someone else's.  The Christian stuff seems a lot more heavy-handed than the books, possibly to offset the pretty heavy violence or sell it to the more blood-thirsty factions of cheek-turners.  Special mention to the gorgeous Anna Popplewell, whose Legolas Susan rather steals the show, Peter Dinklage's always excellent turn as Peter Dinklage, Sergio Castellitto makes a great baddie, and the Telmarines boast some of the most magnificent armour costuming I've seen.  Eddie Izzard's Reepicheep isn't as good as Simon Pegg's version in the third one, some of the grey-blue colour work is appalling and some of the large battle scenes are so seen-it-before as to be actively dull.

However, although it's not as good as the third film, but I reckon it's well worth a watch for the young 'uns.

qtwerk

Maniac.

Utter fucking drivel and another in the very long line of pointless, shit Hollywood remakes that are worse than the original, which wasn't great in the first place.

Avoid if you have any sense.

Killing Them Softly

Probably not what most people expected or wanted, but another good film from the director who brought us Chopper and The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford. Pitt excellent as ever, but some of the American accents by Australian actors are woeful. Reminiscent of Snowtown at times, but nowhere near as good as that film. But not much is.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Monkey Business was on Film4 this morning. Quite the hungover treat. They don't make movie stars like Cary Grant* anymore. And Marilyn Monroe was in it too.

*The only famous person I can do a decent impression of. It's limited to two words: "Okey dokey", but ye'd swear he was in the room.
You may quote me on that.

Lenny_Zero

13 Assassins
It delivers.  I didn't expect it to, and I was entertained.  12 samurai and 1 freakshow set out to kill a perverted brother of the local shogun.  Swordplay ensues.  Very, very pretty diversion.  Need to watch it dubbed so that I don't read and miss all of he scenery!

http://www.13assassins.com/
America is an irradiated wasteland.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: El Pops on 17 March, 2013, 08:42:24 PM
Monkey Business was on Film4 this morning. Quite the hungover treat. They don't make movie stars like Cary Grant* anymore. And Marilyn Monroe was in it too.

*The only famous person I can do a decent impression of. It's limited to two words: "Okey dokey", but ye'd swear he was in the room.

Nobody speaks like that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Lenny_Zero on 18 March, 2013, 03:02:18 AM
13 Assassins
It delivers.  I didn't expect it to, and I was entertained.  12 samurai and 1 freakshow set out to kill a perverted brother of the local shogun.  Swordplay ensues.  Very, very pretty diversion.  Need to watch it dubbed so that I don't read and miss all of he scenery!

http://www.13assassins.com/
One of the best samuari movies of the last decade. And from the director of Ichi The Killer no less!