Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

On the subject of The Wicker Man remake, Empire Online gave its readers the chance to submit questions to Nicolas Cage a couple of years back. Somebody asked was the Wicker Man remake a comedy or not, Cage's response mentioned how he roundhouse kicks a woman whilst wearing the bottom of a bear costume and then asked "So what do you think?"
One of the best things about Cage is I looked at his answer and thought "With some of the films you've appeared in, I really don't know..."
But anyway, people who have seen the original may find themselves recognising this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peug224n77E

von Boom

The Sapphires. A great film about an Australian aboriginal singing group in Vietnam during the war there. Chris O'Dowd is simply great in this. If you enjoyed The Commitments you'd probably like this one.

HdE

Just saw the recent remake of Total Recall.

I have literally no idea why folks seem to have had such trouble with it. Thought it was absolutely brilliant! Len Wiseman directs some really awesome action, and the straight-laced tone of this sits far better with me than the OTT nature of the Arnie version.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Hawkmumbler

My problem with TR2012 is just how...generic it was. I can remember not a jot about it and I saw it scarce a week ago.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: HdE on 09 June, 2013, 08:00:56 PM
I have literally no idea why folks seem to have had such trouble with it.

Because it's pish.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 June, 2013, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: HdE on 09 June, 2013, 08:00:56 PM
I have literally no idea why folks seem to have had such trouble with it.

Because it's pish.

Succinctly put Ghost MacRoth....
Although I wouldn't go quite as far as that, ( because of my reason below ) I will say I thought it was a 'pointless' remake....Other than enhanced CGI / Special effects ( which you would expect, considering it's made nearly 20 years after Arnies' effort / clunker ), it really brought nothing new at all to the story and just evolved into a giant car chase and a total mess...

Now,  if you are taking about PISH..... ( using capitals there because it really was )....
What about John Carter of Mars......Absolute complete and utter twaddle, apallingly poorly acted, dreadful costumes, a hopeless, incomprehensible script ( if there was one !! ) and the amount of ( normally ) good actors in it almost beggars belief...........And it cost ( and lost ) a fortune to boot !!.
Tops my list of really shit movies I've seen recently and ( sorry here Mr MacRoth ) knocks Total Recall ( 2012) completely out of the 'standard' of PISH !!....Unless you can set a new standard of 'worse than pish' for John Carter ?? :lol:
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Ghost MacRoth

I am forced to concede to your wisdom sir!  However, even with carter establishing new parameters for 'PISH', 'Total Fuckup' still qualifies, although at an admittedly lower rung of the ladder.  What killed it most IMO was quantifying 'was it real, or was it recall?'.  The original managed to put enough into the film to leave folk arguing for years whether he had the schizoid embolism or not.  The new one?  They clearly state he did, as it's the only way they can get away with such a flimsy plot.  They sucked the joy out of a classic film, and for me that is far worse than just making a terrible new one, even if the terrible new one is far more deserving of the moniker 'PISH'. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Jim_Campbell

There was fuck-all wrong with John Carter -- it was a perfectly serviceable SF/adventure romp that is much-maligned by geekdom for reasons I really can't fathom.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 June, 2013, 10:35:25 PM
There was fuck-all wrong with John Carter -- it was a perfectly serviceable SF/adventure romp that is much-maligned by geekdom for reasons I really can't fathom.

Cheers

Jim

^^This. I thought it was a cracking movie. Fun and funny and, y'know, FUN.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 June, 2013, 10:35:25 PM

Cheers

Jim

Hate to repeat myself, but it was pish. :p

Predictable, pedestrian, uninspiring, unbelievable, and generally ......meh.  For the amount of cash they pumped into it, it should have been a whole lot better.  But hey, if you liked it, fair play to you!  After all, millions of folks liked.....no.....LOVED 'Friends' yet I found it to be immensely irritating at best.  Many folk bagged Donnie Darko, but I really enjoyed the concept, and application of it.  Horses for courses n'at!

Richmond Clements

Quotemillions of folks liked.....no.....LOVED 'Friends' yet I found it to be immensely irritating at best.  Many folk bagged Donnie Darko, but I really enjoyed the concept, and application of it.  Horses for courses n'at!

With you on both of those though.

Jim_Campbell

Well, I liked Donnie Darko, which rather torpedoes the incoherent toss you're passing off as an argument, doesn't it?

Cheers

Jim

Ghost MacRoth

No, since it was merely an example of how 'other' folks differ, you know, the general public?  I was not reffering to YOUR tastes, since I don't know them.  And if you think my posts are incoherent, then you should probably stop sniffing glue. :p

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 09 June, 2013, 10:50:35 PM
And if you think my posts are incoherent, then you should probably stop sniffing glue. :p
Post of the day.

Jim_Campbell

Well, I'm not sure why you chose to assert that John Carter was "pish", then. You didn't enjoy it -- fine. I did. Also fine. There's nothing intrinsically bad about the movie -- I've seen much, much worse and found plenty to enjoy. Your argument is incoherent because you chose to state an absolute judgement of John Carter and then cited Donnie Darko as an example of "it's all subjective, innit?"

Cheers

Jim