Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

I got the joke - unfortunately "ugh Summer Glau" immediately counter-balanced any potential jocularity.

JudgeE1M1RT

Watched Battle Royale. Brilliant stuff.

JamesC

Rockstar

Really good fun. Mark Wahlberg looks like he's a bit embarrassed but enjoying himself. Jennifer Aniston looks gorgeous. Dominic West looks like he's gone to a fancy dress party and Timothy Spall looks like he's on the sex offenders register.
It's a pretty standard rise and fall type story but it's just so fantastically cheesy and entertaining. I may have to buy the soundtrack!

And did I mention Jennifer Aniston looks gorgeous?

JamesC

Quote from: Charlie boy on 11 September, 2013, 10:14:43 PM
Insidious
And I really wish I hadn't. I found it so bad I'm actually struggling to even write about it here. Basically, I taped it to watch with a friend who is usually great fun to watch any horror/gore film with (even when the film is really bad- say part 34 of the Saw franchise or something- I can enjoy it by turning to look at her and her face of quiet disgust or something and chuckle). With this offering, she actually turned to me at one point to say "This is really boring", and she had a valid point. It's difficult to think of a single original moment, because everything just seems to have been lifted from something else. They insist of focusing the camera on something for ages, clearly disagreeing with the whole "less is more" angle. You see the supposed twist coming a mile off. And Darth Maul is useless as one of the key threats in the film.
I'm betting if I were to look for the DVD, it'll say on the cover how somebody described this as being the scariest film EVER. And that looks to be how it is; bad horror films being released and seriously using somebody's claim it's the scariest film ever. This was made 2010 so- say one big horror film a year- I'm guessing it's now (supposedly) the 3rd scariest film ever until Insidious 2 hits the cinemas and then Insidious will be the fourth scariest film ever as the sequel takes the top spot. I have no desire to make my way through this list.

I thought Insidious was bloody terrifying! Saw it at the cinema with a mate - we were at a matinee and were the only ones in the theatre apart from a couple of chavy girls who exclaimed 'That was fucking well scary!' At the end.
It was a bit silly I suppose but I liked the way it embraced it's supernatural elements and wasn't afraid to take them somewhere - much like Poltergeist and Jeepers Creepers.
There are plenty of creepy background things as well as the big jumpy scares too.

Link Prime

I really wanted to love Insidious, as I'm a fan of the writer / director team, and the genre.
It was a little overcooked, and not scary at all (IMO).
I'll watch the sequel at some stage, as its apparently Wan's horror swan song, but won't have anywhere near the same level of expectation (especially after the recent fool me twice shame on me 'The Conjuring').

Most effective horror of recent times for me was 'Lovely Molly'- now that'll send you off to bed with a little bit of pee on yer nickers.

willthemightyW

Watched Cobra for the first time tonight, found it really cheap on Blu-Ray so decided to pick it up. Not half bad, very stupid, a lot of funny, and a film that makes me think he good have been a good Dredd if only he'd got to the part before his ego started to kick in! The opening sequence and monologue especially is very Dredd-esque. I did notice a few errors (like mics and equipment visible) that were so large I was stupefied they found their way into a big film like this without being picked up on! But like I said, pretty fun, very eighties.

Just about to watch the Adjustment Bureau, missed it when it came out, looking forward to it, but am expecting a very cheesy romantic ending!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Charlie boy

Quote from: JamesC on 13 September, 2013, 06:41:30 PM
I thought Insidious was bloody terrifying! Saw it at the cinema with a mate - we were at a matinee and were the only ones in the theatre apart from a couple of chavy girls who exclaimed 'That was fucking well scary!' At the end.
It was a bit silly I suppose but I liked the way it embraced it's supernatural elements and wasn't afraid to take them somewhere - much like Poltergeist and Jeepers Creepers.
There are plenty of creepy background things as well as the big jumpy scares too.
I know a lot of people like these films but I probably should have said I don't particularly like most horror films. I end up watching one when it's on if I haven't seen it before but there must only be a few in the genre I'd actually enjoy watching again instead of simply using it to just take up some time. The big successful ones of late just don't do anything for me; I don't really feel any tension or sense of dread in them- they just seem to rely on something suddenly jumping out to a loud noise over and over.

PsychoGoatee

Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack is the best performance in film history in my humble opinion.

Tiplodocus

Flashpoint.

Another Donnie Yen recommendation from The Cosh.
And it's another brutal almost nihilistic police thrillerand again it takes a bit of time to add some flesh to the villains.

The final twenty minute showdown doesn't outstay it'swelcome by breaking it up into three chunks (gunplay in building, gunplay in tall grass and then a crunching mixed martial arts set to. Again, if there are wires, cgi or stunt doubles as Donnie Yen and Colin Chou punch and kick holes in walls and each other, I didn't see them.

Good stuff.

Not sure what to go for next: Dragon Tiger Gate?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

And a great soundtrack too.

Especially where Donnie reaches "Flashpoint".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Colin YNWA

Is Battlefield Los Angelas any good. It looks like a bit of dumb fun and might be just what I'm after tonight when its on telly?

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 September, 2013, 05:30:05 PM
Is Battlefield Los Angelas any good. It looks like a bit of dumb fun and might be just what I'm after tonight when its on telly?

It's absolute shite, Colin. Not even a matter of "it's so crap it's great/ funny" (as is the case with Sharknado and others).

Edit: sincere apologies. I got it muddled up with Skyline (which all the above applies to)  ::). Haven't watched Battlefield so go ahead by all means.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Frank

I watched Les Miserables last night, and a girl didn't make me do it or anything - I must have added it to my Lovefilm list in a spirit of opening myself up to different kinds of material. It's sort of pish for the first three quarters of an hour - Catwoman greeting her way really quite affectingly through Susan Boyles's song aside - and the constant recitativo really doesn't work in those early sections. I remember the director saying they filmed in sequence, and it does seem like they figured everything out and got better at doing it as they went along.

They could have done with introducing Ali G and Tim Burton's wife a bit earlier; their regular reappearances from then on help lift the film out of the occasional o-o-o-oh, what have I do-o-o-o-ne? doldrums, and they seem to remind everyone that it's a musical and that it's supposed to be fun. The final section is a lot like an action film, and I wish tosh like the Batman and Die Hard series - which are dealing with such a hysterical emotional register and ridiculously camp tone anyway - would go the whole hog and have the characters trilling arias at each other instead of trading cheesy one-liners.

Russell Crowe's not as crap as everyone said he was, he's just not on the same page as the rest of the cast. He's giving a quite stiff, theatrical performance, while everybody else has cottoned on to the fact it's a film and they can use small changes of facial expression and cracking voices to convey emotion and character. Wolverine does better, but he's still quite stagey - it's the girls who steal the show, and I teared up a bit when [spoiler]Anne Hathaway dies[/spoiler]. The sets and production design are fantastic, and - apart from the fact that everyone looks like Coldplay circa Viva La Vida - I quite enjoyed it. 

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 September, 2013, 05:30:05 PM

If you thought it was worth putting up with the mawkish sentimentality of Saving Private Ryan for the action sequences, or if you didn't laugh and switch off the film Volcano when the guy has his legs melted as he heroically wades through lava to save an injured civilian, Battlefield Los Angeles will pass an hour or two pleasantly enough.