Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

judgefloyd

Elysium.  Very frustrating because the director can make things look and feel great, but the plot has some massive holes in it which I found distracting.  [spoiler]As in - the super hackable computer system, the way a computer glitch just solved everyone's problems - after we came out, I said to Roy, 'If someone hacked the computer systems of the Australian government and made every Iranian and Afghan asylum seeker an Australian citizen, do you think our government would let them all in?' [/spoiler]
  I loved the Suth Ifrikan baddie though.

Frank

Spring Breakers; which is interesting, but only really to the extent that it's a series of variations upon this oddly fascinating scene. The combination of striking slow motion visuals and music works every time, and it's notable for its use of Skrillex, especially the orchestral version of that tune which scores the blood soaked finale.

shaolin_monkey

I've just seen Prisoners, that Hugh Jackman film. It's a slow building and tense film. I'm not sure I enjoyed it as such - it was all rather grim. Worth watching once though.

TordelBack

Turbo.  An uninspiring concept for a feature, but actually surprisingly fun.  The animation and overall design is good if rather safe, and its human milieu of down-at-heel largely non-whites is refreshing.  It cheats a bit with very heavy referencing of the exciting parts of other movies, not least when it uses Eye of the Tiger over one of its climactic montages, the plot is very nonsensical (snail elements aside), and there is entirely too much talking. 

It has one rather strange aspect, which is that it has no villain until literally the closing moments.  Even then the de facto baddie has been a largely sympathetic or at least understandable rival throughout, particularly where he rather heroically [spoiler]single-handedly drags the wreck of his race car to the finish line[/spoiler], his only real act of dastardy coming within inches of the chequered flag, and even then it's one clearly born of frustration.

But yeah, well worth a look for those with sprogs to pacify and divert.

Goaty

The Hole by Joe Dante as recorded it last night and watch it today, so enjoy it, feelings like watch 80s type film. It very creepy it looks kids friendly film but not for kids to watch alone!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 13 October, 2013, 06:23:27 PM

The Hole by Joe Dante as recorded it last night and watch it today, so enjoy it, feelings like watch 80s type film. It very creepy it looks kids friendly film but not for kids to watch alone!

Yeah, that's a fun film, and even better in 3D. I did watch it with my girls, and it did freak them out a bit, but in a Goonies/Ghostbusters kind of way.

Theblazeuk

I thought you were referring to the British movie of the same name, The Hole. Which is alright but not something you'd describe as kids friendly.

Dandontdare

I finally got to see Scott Pilgrim vs the world recently - Once you buy into the silliness, it's a really enjoyable film. Particularly liked the gay roommate and the unhappy drummer.

SmallBlueThing

Monsters.

That one about the two people traveling across Central America during an invasion of giant randy octopuses.

Very dull, with little to interest the watcher- few scenes of peril or jeopardy, a boring main cast consisting of man-who-sounds-like-David-Duchovny and woman-who-looks-like-Gwyneth-Paltrow-crossed-with-Hannah-Spearitt, a predictable will they/ won't they subplot, and... not much else, really.

Not something I would want to watch again.

SBT

Goaty

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 14 October, 2013, 09:07:58 PM
Monsters.

That one about the two people traveling across Central America during an invasion of giant randy octopuses.

Very dull, with little to interest the watcher- few scenes of peril or jeopardy, a boring main cast consisting of man-who-sounds-like-David-Duchovny and woman-who-looks-like-Gwyneth-Paltrow-crossed-with-Hannah-Spearitt, a predictable will they/ won't they subplot, and... not much else, really.

SBT

It's on lowest than low budget, what else you do can want?

Frank

Monsters. That one about the two people traveling across Central America during an invasion of giant randy octopuses.

SBT

Welcome back, your majesty; your throne has lain empty these long months. We await your queer reading of Expendables 2 like dogs watching chicken cook in an oven.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Goaty on 14 October, 2013, 09:09:11 PM
Monsters.

SBT

It's on lowest than low budget, what else you do can want?

A plot?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 October, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
I finally got to see Scott Pilgrim vs the world recently - Once you buy into the silliness, it's a really enjoyable film.

I found Detention to have out-pilgrimed Scott Pilgrim at about a tenth of the budget.

Proteus4

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 October, 2013, 09:38:44 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 October, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
I finally got to see Scott Pilgrim vs the world recently - Once you buy into the silliness, it's a really enjoyable film.

I found Detention to have out-pilgrimed Scott Pilgrim at about a tenth of the budget.

Dude - that looks totally awesome.  I'm off to see if i can get it on amazon/lovefilm/netflix right now.

cheers
dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.