Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 November, 2017, 03:10:41 PM
Honestly, it's hard to think of how they could have made that collection much worse. The repro is truly abysmal – some of the worst I've ever seen. The recolouring effort is atrocious. I really don't know what they were thinking when redoing that early Marvel US stuff. And now IDW appears to have given up on the UK Classics reprints, too. Bah.
I was in 2 minds with the Transformers collection but after taking my dd details twice they still couldn't get it right (despite having had successful marvel and Dredd setup) so I gave up on it. Glad now if they are abandoning the UK reprints altogether.

Tomwe

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 November, 2017, 02:58:27 PM
Where is that Nemesis image from? I don't recognise it and don't think this series has new covers?

Found it

QuoteClassic Moments Of Thrill-Power™-Nemesis the Warlock:The Gothic Empire
Original series art droid Bryan Talbot,one of the UK's most unique creative talents,reprises a vintage slice of Thrill-Power™ in this Nemesis the Warlock pin-up for Prog 2008(12Dec'07).

geronimo

I have just unsubscribed from collection having still received nothing after they messed up my address.  I'm not hanging about for the first package when new volumes are coming into the shops.

Are others still having problems and do problems get sorted at all?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: James Stacey on 30 November, 2017, 04:19:54 PMI was in 2 minds with the Transformers collection but after taking my dd details twice they still couldn't get it right (despite having had successful marvel and Dredd setup) so I gave up on it. Glad now if they are abandoning the UK reprints altogether.
I should clarify: Hachette aren't abandoning UK reprints – it looks like IDW is. Their sixth volume of UK material has been MIA for well over a year now. The repro is equally awful across iDW and Hachette's Transformers stuff though, as far as the classic Marvel content goes.

James Stacey

abelardsnazz

Garth Ennis' name on the Dredd cover suggests it will indeed include the title story. Seems a bit odd to me to include a Necropolis sequel in this collection when all the others have appeared in the Mega Collection. Happy to have it as a companion volume to the MC but non-collectors of that might be a bit bemused.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tomwe on 30 November, 2017, 04:23:59 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 30 November, 2017, 02:58:27 PM
Where is that Nemesis image from? I don't recognise it and don't think this series has new covers?

Found it

Arh good work! So I had seen it before, surprised I don't remember that, its class.

Thanks.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 30 November, 2017, 06:03:37 PM
Garth Ennis' name on the Dredd cover suggests it will indeed include the title story. Seems a bit odd to me to include a Necropolis sequel in this collection when all the others have appeared in the Mega Collection. Happy to have it as a companion volume to the MC but non-collectors of that might be a bit bemused.

It is an odd thing to do, but I'm eagerly waiting to see what happened with Silver.  He never struck me as much of a Chief Judge, a bit too much of a hardliner, mind you, from re-reading some Anderson material, Volt seems no better.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Greg M.

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 November, 2017, 11:40:18 PM
It is an odd thing to do, but I'm eagerly waiting to see what happened with Silver.  He never struck me as much of a Chief Judge, a bit too much of a hardliner, mind you, from re-reading some Anderson material, Volt seems no better.

When John Wagner wrote Volt, he was seen as a liberal reformer. Alan Grant seemed not to have picked up on this, hence Volt is wildly out of character in the Anderson stories he appears in (particularly 'Crusade'.)

Silver was a great character, but from an in-universe perspective, he's the single worst Chief Judge the city ever had. And that includes Cal!

TordelBack

Sure that honour goes to Francisco, who was manipulated into office on the back of a TV career, allowed himself to be drugged and controlled by Sinfield, failed to identify the Mayor of MC-1 during his term* as the mass-murderer PJ Maybe and then when he was unmasked failed to execute him or even keep him in custody, before failing to prevent the most devastating foreign attack on the City in its history despite ample opprtunity, and failing to manage the curfew situation once the Chaos bug was in the city. Nice guy, but sheesh! 

*I accept that this was more Hershey's fault.

moogie101

Quote from: Arkady on 30 November, 2017, 01:54:04 PM
Maybe I missed it upthread, but it seems (from the Facebook page) that there were printing issues with issue 7 and that some subscribers will only get issue 6 this month, then get issues 7&8 next month. That will suck, and I wonder how they will square it with the payments.

As one of those who only got Issue 6 delivered cheers for posting that, I hadn't seen anything about it on the FB page.

To answer your question I only got charged for the one issue.

Woolly

Quote from: moogie101 on 01 December, 2017, 02:22:21 PM
Quote from: Arkady on 30 November, 2017, 01:54:04 PM
Maybe I missed it upthread, but it seems (from the Facebook page) that there were printing issues with issue 7 and that some subscribers will only get issue 6 this month, then get issues 7&8 next month. That will suck, and I wonder how they will square it with the payments.

As one of those who only got Issue 6 delivered cheers for posting that, I hadn't seen anything about it on the FB page.

To answer your question I only got charged for the one issue.

Still waiting for issues 5+6 here - had a second lot sent out 2 weeks ago, but still nothing  :(
Bah!

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2017, 12:29:24 PM
Sure that honour goes to Francisco

As ever, you make some awfully good points. Francisco is not particularly competent, and in terms of sheer number of mega-citizens dead due to his mistakes, he is indeed the worst - that's inarguable. Silver, however, seemed to actively court disaster - his ill-judged, wrong-headed decisions set in motion event after event that combined to usher in Necropolis, for which he is directly and personally responsible. Francisco failed to prevent a (substantially bigger) disaster, but at least he [spoiler]knew when to quit[/spoiler].

TordelBack

I'm sure this could be settled scientifically by a handy 'number of times ignored Dredd's gut feeling' metric.

You could well be right about Silver, Greg.  Maybe I'm just biased against reality TV stars who gain high office through courting racism with exclusionist rhetoric...

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2017, 08:18:21 PM
Maybe I'm just biased against reality TV stars who gain high office through courting racism with exclusionist rhetoric...

How do you feel about treasonous US leaders who collaborate with and are manipulated by the Russians? Ah, Griffin - relevant again after all these years.