Main Menu

It's the World Cup: Sam Slade '82 v Big Dave '94

Started by ZenArcade, 15 June, 2014, 12:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

It's the Summer; we've got an even numbered year; the Olympics was 2 years ago.....yes, it's that quadrennial celebration of WAG's, dodgy decisions and of course football.
So who wins the battle of the World Cup storylines in 2000ad, is it Super Sam Slade or Manchesters finest: Big Dave???
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Professor Bear

I vote for Big Dave, as Robo Hunter didn't have racism and homophobia so it wasn't much like fotball at all.

Leigh S

Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 15 June, 2014, 01:33:15 AM
I vote for Big Dave, as Robo Hunter didn't have racism and homophobia so it wasn't much like fotball at all.

Well, you say that.....

But I'd still vote for Sam Slade, Brian.

Frank

Both stories could have been improved by the addition of commentary by Phil Neville, grimly intoning doom, death and ultimate destruction, like The Voice Of The Mysterons.

Trout

Quote from: Leigh S on 15 June, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: Kennari Bjarndýr on 15 June, 2014, 01:33:15 AM

Well, you say that.....

But I'd still vote for Sam Slade, Brian.

I agree, Brian.

What do you think, Brian?

JayzusB.Christ

Well, there was that 'blakee pentax' bit...
I'm going to go with Dave, anyway, because Nelson Mandela doing voodoo is outrageously offensive but funny all the same (in my mind anyway).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

France-Honduras game: one Brian has just had to patiently explain to the other Brian that the goal line technology revealing the ball to have rebounded off the post (NO GOAL) and then gone in off a rebound from the goalie's heel (GOAL) does not constitute a flaw in the technology or a controversy. Five minutes later, Brian has just referred to the goal as a controversy.

Fungus

Yeah, he's convinced an inquest still needed into this confounded technology. It's pretty embarrassing, all in.

ZenArcade

Watching this really shows how the guys nailed this nincompoopery down in '82.

ZenArcade

Brian Juninio; Brian shearer; Brian Lennon and Brian Lineker are lining up for tonights comment fest.

Recrewt

Quote from: ISISauchie on 15 June, 2014, 09:17:03 PM

France-Honduras game: one Brian has just had to patiently explain to the other Brian that the goal line technology revealing the ball to have rebounded off the post (NO GOAL) and then gone in off a rebound from the goalie's heel (GOAL) does not constitute a flaw in the technology or a controversy. Five minutes later, Brian has just referred to the goal as a controversy.

Yeah, how annoying was that last night?  There was zero confusion or controversy and yet they kept referring to it as such for the rest of the game.   >:(

I think Big Dave would have liked that game as Honduras clearly decided at some point to stop trying to get the ball and just take out the man!

Frank

Quote from: Recrewt on 16 June, 2014, 05:06:07 PM
I think Big Dave would have liked that game as Honduras clearly decided at some point to stop trying to get the ball and just take out the man!

I'm sure some of the Nazi eleven Dave played were the descendants of high ranking DAP officials who fled to Honduras to avoid appearing in the dock at Nuremberg. I'm with Jayzus on the hilarity of Nelson Mandela's practice of voodoo, although I'm sure I really shouldn't find it funny at all.

I heard some radio discussion of England-Italy while driving around for work today, and had to remind myself that they only lost 2-1 in the group stages to four times winners of the tournament. From the funereal and self lacerating tone of the discussion, you would have thought they'd been hammered 5-1 by San Marino. Particularly baffled by the inquest into Rooney's under performance and questions as to whether he should be dropped entirely, since he set up their only goal with one of the shots of the tournament so far.

Honestly, it makes me GLAD Scotland never qualify anymore, since we're spared this kind of national gnashing of teeth, wailing and breast beating in the media. GLAD, I say ...

Recrewt

Yup, we also had to endure several days of being told how totally unsuitable/unplayable the pitch was for the first England game only to see on the big day that there was NOTHING wrong with it at all.  ::)

ZenArcade

It is the endlessly recurring tragicomedy played out every 4 years. A barely veiled dislike of Johnny foreigner counterpointed by excoriating self recrimination when things go wrong. Oh well it could be worse, you should see some of the RTE commentry.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've been reading 2000ad since 1980.

I remember the Sam Slade story, 32 years ago. I cannot recall the Big Dave story.

And that is why I think it's got to be Slade.

(Brian)

Lock up your spoons!