Main Menu

Techy things! can YOU help?

Started by esoteric ed, 11 March, 2004, 11:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esoteric ed

1. I'm begining master pages for my upcoming website and I've been asking friends for advice about what size my artwork/pages should be, 800 x 600 pixels was suggested, does anybody here have any experience in this?

2. Recently when saving images to my PC from the web I'm offered save as "untitled" and "BMP" image options instead of the usual JPEG option, is there anyway to rectify this?

3. and my final brain teaser, I've downloaded a couple of movies and on opening them up in Window Media player I can only get the audio soundtrack, and a message appears saying "error with downloading Codec" is it possible to download a Codec driver or such in order to view these movies (and no they aren't XXX movies) :-0

Grateful thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

Cheers
Ed

pauljholden

1 - 800x600 is the (typical) smallest screen size, I tend to do graphics for websites at about 640 across and the depth is largely irrelevent. If you're doing comics on screen, I suggest a screen resolution of about 600x400 that way it should be viewable by most people.

2 - this happens when internet explorers cache gets full - select Tools - Options - empty cache and that should restore it (you'll probably find you can't view source either)

3 - I'd guess these are DivX files, (which are AVI file types but encoded using DivX) download the DivX player from t'internet - there's a free one about - windows media player should then work (as installing the divx player will also install the required codec).

- pj

esoteric ed

PJ, "thanks" I'll get to it,

cheers chiefy.

Ed

Wake

Thanks PJ

Number 2 (both saving images, which I solve by reconverting later and the view source problem) happens to me a lot.

Cheers,

Wake

BlackThrash

re number 3.
movies is my area of expertise.
download the klite codec pack or the nimo codec pack....install reboot, and you'll find that your avi files will play fine

esoteric ed

Thanks people, I ended up downloading the free DivX player... Cannibal Holocaust was pretty fowl as I remember it, Texas Chainsaw 2003 looks ok ;-)

Ed

Quirkafleeg

Can someone tell me why I can download and view Quicktime movies find but they don't work when thye are embedded in a web page...?

Noisybast

To fit the width of a standard browser window, try these image sizes:

Screen res     Image width
640x480        600
800x600        760
1024x768       955

You might want to cut them up into smaller bits, though, or they'll take an age to load...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!