Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

I've been really enjoying the Future Shocks volume - this Alan Moore bloke is quite good.  Definitely one to dip in and out of though.

The length of an extension really does make a difference to what we could expect - if we're only getting 10 vols then it seems less likely we'll get things like Red Seas which would require 2+ volumes.

Looking at The V.C.s, the original run would be too short to make up a single volume by itself (129 pages).  But with the newer DAbnett stuff it'd be a very nice fit for 2 vols of ~190 each.

sintec

Flesh Book 1 + Shako would make a great early 2000AD double creature feature vol.  Would love to see that in an extension.

Max Headroom

Could anyone who has received it please post which stories are featured in the latest Slaine book. Thank you.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Max Headroom on 05 July, 2019, 11:36:21 AM
Could anyone who has received it please post which stories are featured in the latest Slaine book. Thank you.

Bowels of Hell
Treasures of Britain book 1
Ukko's Tale/The Cloak of Fear
Treasures of Britain book 2
The Demon Hitchhiker
King of Hearts
The Arrow of God

geronimo

I am living in south east Ireland and recently decided to order these from a newsagent, but after a few weeks of nothing turning up I was finally told that they can't get them though they could earlier on in the series.
They only seem to turn up sporadically  in other book shops so I am wondering if the print numbers are dropping. I really get the impression that this collection hasn't really taken off.
Last year I was collecting the  deAgnostini Art Gallery series which promised to be 60 issues but it stopped at 40, so these companies do cut their losses when they have to.

BPP

It would be a shame if it hasn't as it's really an excellent series. The standard is far better than the Mega Collection. These are a lovely format to have so many great 2000ad series in. I almost wish I was reading them for the first time.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jade Falcon

My explanation of Future Shocks isn't that its a bad title, its that I had picked up the old trade in softcover from a charity shop and wasn't really fussed about another edition, however, theres the chance that it might have stuff not in the softcover.  I had been rereading my Dan Dare books and Kreeler Conspiracy and Traitor to His Kind so I'm on catch up.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

paulbyrnewex

Quote from: geronimo on 05 July, 2019, 04:32:53 PM
I am living in south east Ireland and recently decided to order these from a newsagent, but after a few weeks of nothing turning up I was finally told that they can't get them though they could earlier on in the series.
They only seem to turn up sporadically  in other book shops so I am wondering if the print numbers are dropping. I really get the impression that this collection hasn't really taken off.
Last year I was collecting the  deAgnostini Art Gallery series which promised to be 60 issues but it stopped at 40, so these companies do cut their losses when they have to.

Living also in the South East this weeks Slaine and another from May can't recall didn't turn up in my local newsagent/bookshop. Hopefully its only a temporary thing.

abelardsnazz

Art aside, I found the latest Slaine volume a drag, with the exception of the story in verse, which was fun. I know we have Uncle Pat to thank for us all talking about this stuff on here after so many years, but I found his scripts po-faced and confusing, and the whole thing just seemed a rehash of The Horned God. Ho-hum.

Frank

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 07 July, 2019, 12:47:02 PM
Art aside, I found the latest Slaine volume a drag, with the exception of the story in verse, which was fun. I know we have Uncle Pat to thank for us all talking about this stuff on here after so many years, but I found his scripts po-faced and confusing, and the whole thing just seemed a rehash of The Horned God. Ho-hum.

I think it's just a condition of an ongoing strip lasting decades. Anderson and Sinister Dexter split opinion in similar ways, while the highs of Wagner Dredd are so great we gladly overlook periods of forgettable dross.

Mills is up-front about it; if he earned royalties on all new stories using his characters, he'd have buggered off to the Algarve years ago and we'd have been enjoying John Tomlinson's Slaine and Tony Lee's ABC Warriors.

athorist

He hasn't been in 2000AD for a while though. I'm not a massive fan of his recent stories, I thought the last two Savage books were the best from what I've read. But it's not the same without his voice in 2000AD.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Tomwe

Quote from: athorist on 07 July, 2019, 05:09:09 PM
He hasn't been in 2000AD for a while though. I'm not a massive fan of his recent stories, I thought the last two Savage books were the best from what I've read. But it's not the same without his voice in 2000AD.
Slaine and Defoe back soon!

Frank

To the delight of fans and haters alike, Mills is concentrating his considerable energies on his creator-owned Space Warp project.

Mills is contributing to another anthology for the Francophone market, Gryyym

sintec

Quote from: moly on 22 June, 2019, 04:07:13 PM
https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44203.0;attach=11905;image

So with this and the judge dredd collection anyone know what percentage of 2000ad would of been included in these collections when completed

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 June, 2019, 05:20:01 PM
If you assume ~2200 issues of 2000 AD by the time the 2000 AD collection is done (assuming no extension), that's, what, about 57,000 pages of strip? Each Hachette run is something like 14,000–18,000 pages of strip. So we'll end up with two collections comprising about 30,000 pages – or half a 2000 AD. That doesn't take into account that a chunk of content was taken from the Megazine, though (which by the time the 2000 AD run is done will itself be on issue 424 or thereabouts.

Ok so I finally got around to playing about with the data I've collected to see if I could get a reasonable estimate of this.  It's not perfect as I've not got precise counts for Meg vs Prog on things like Judgement Day which ran across both publications. In those case I've taken an estimate of the number of prog pages by multipling the number of issue by 6 and then assigning the remaining pages of the stroy to the Meg.  Overall I don't think that's going to distort things too much though.

ProgMegOther    Total
Mega Colllection    98007600323    17700
Ultimate Colllection    950078124    9679

These numbers include Volume 49 as that's the last one I know the contents of.  Interestingly we've now had nearly as many pages of Prog in the Ultimate Collection as in the entire 90 volumes of the Mega Collection!  42% of the Mega Collection was Megazine content

Assuming the upcoming volumes have a similar page count to the ones we've seen so far we going to have ~15500 pages of Prog in an 80 volume Ultimate Collection.  That jumps to ~17,500 if we get a 10 book extension.

Using IndigoPrimes estimate of ~57000 pages of 2000AD published by the time we get to the end of the collection that gives us an estimate of 44% of the prog reprinted across both collections assuming no extension. 47% if we get a 10 book extension. And a 20 book extension would almost certainly mean more than 50% of the Prog being included across the two collections by completion. (note these %s do not account for the page count of prog being printed during the extensions but I don't think it makes an enormous difference).

Jade Falcon

Okay, I finally got round to reading the Slaine book.  Mainly because I finished off reading Dan Dare, finishing the Peter May crime book I'd been going through and the two Johnny Alpha books.

I must admit, while I'd still prefer a few less Slaine, I didn't think this book was too bad.  I skipped the story that was done in verse though as I just don't have the patience for that sort of thing.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov