Main Menu

Rogue Trooper News…!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 29 January, 2024, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 February, 2024, 10:34:08 AMI'd like it to be one-and-done.

Me too.  The Rogue Trooper game was really good, but after a climactic final battle, the Traitor General gets away, and that really cuts the legs out from under it.  No real resolution, just that disappointed feeling that we might be asked to retread it all again in a sequel.

I'd like the movie to tell the story of the Quartz Zone Massacre (in flashback) and the hunt for the TG, all the way through to Rogue knocking him off.  Sure, have Rogue then say, "Now we can go back to Milli-com & get you all regened" as he slips out of sight in a chem fog, but don't leave the actual story that it's all about - who is the TG?  Will Rogue catch him? - up in the air.  There's plenty of stories to tell if the movie is successful enough to warrant a sequel.

Also, I hope they work to avoid the mistakes made with the 2012 Dredd. By 'mistakes', I mean the things that scuppered a sequel, which were basically all the things that limited their audience.  Aim it for a more general - meaning bigger - audience.  It doesn't have to be My Little Pony level vanilla, but keep all the swearing out of it ("Stak!" is fine), make sure the action isn't too gory, etc.  The animation already addresses one issue, allowing the RT movie to have a huge scale and a more futuristic look than Dredd could muster.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 February, 2024, 09:04:52 AMI'm devastated we missed the chance to have Windsor Davies as Major Magnum.

SHUT UP!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

One and done for me too. There still could be a sequel - Cinnabar had nothing to do with the hunt for the Traitor General but was my favourite RT ever.

Windsor Davies as Major Magnam would have been perfect.  Maybe Steve Coogan or Rob Brydon could do his voice for them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

"Rogue Trooper will return in...whatever the fuck all this is."

'gestures of Nu-Earth timeline'

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 February, 2024, 01:58:05 PM"Rogue Trooper will return in...whatever the fuck all this is."

'gestures of Nu-Earth timeline'

Basically, the closer to The Golden Fox Rebellion the film is, the happier I'll be.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Maybe a Starship Troopers shape would work; creation, training, winning some initial test-battles with ease, some passing clues to a TG but nothing this film relies on, climax with the Quartz Massacre. (Rogue's personal journey being from a loner (maybe trained as such) to craving the company of his lost G.I. family.) Then it's all left neatly rounded and wide open. There's no need to rush into it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

karlos

Surviving cast members of It Ain't Half Hot, Mum as random clones before Quartz Zone drop.

The Legendary Shark

Windsor Davies as Gunnar, Don Estelle as Helm and Melvyn Hayes as Bagman.

Donald Hewlett plays the Traitor General as and Michael Knowles is Rogue.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Fortnight

I have no skin in the Rogue Trooper game as I've not read any, but I used to be in the camp of "one-off films are better than TV or film series" but my views have changed over the last decade or so.

A standalone film never seems to be sufficient to tell a complex or detailed story without feeling rushed, incomplete, or just badly edited.

With an ongoing film series, sequels tend to feel like sloppy seconds or rush-to-capitalise fodder.

A mini series or long-term, well planned ongoing series can give a story the space it deserves and allows breaking a story up into manageable pieces (ie, "seasons").

I've been watching Andor and before that Obi-Wan Kenobi, and they are exactly a case in point. Much better for being short series of 1 or 2 seasons.

Does anyone else keep typing Rouge Trooper by mistake? Transposing Nu-Earth for downstairs in Boots.

Barrington Boots

Lets Knife, Lovely Boy!

<Shakin Stevens plays, drop begins>
You're a dark horse, Boots.

karlos

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 February, 2024, 03:16:14 PMWindsor Davies as Gunnar, Don Estelle as Helm and Melvyn Hayes as Bagman.

Donald Hewlett plays the Traitor General as and Michael Knowles is Rogue.

Lovely!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 February, 2024, 01:17:03 PM
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 01 February, 2024, 09:04:52 AMI'm devastated we missed the chance to have Windsor Davies as Major Magnum.

SHUT UP!

And Gloria as Venus Bluegenes
DDT did a job on me

karlos

"...with us around, you won't feel blue!"

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 01 February, 2024, 01:51:05 PMMaybe Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon...

as Mr Brass and Mr Bland in the live action version  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me