Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 22 December, 2021, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 December, 2021, 01:45:52 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 22 December, 2021, 12:11:48 PMAny of those mentioned above can only mean a step closer to independence for Calhab
Perhaps. But despite everything, polling in Scotland hasn't substantially shifted. Also, even if 'leave' were to win there, the country would be deeply divided on the matter, which—as we've seen with Brexit—does't necessarily bode well.

I agree polling isn't at the tipping point yet and I would prefer an independence vote of 65% to bring most of the population along. (Can but dream).

I don't know how much the longing to be part of the EU will be in peoples mind.I know I'd prefer to be in the EU even if it meant a hard border between Scotland & England - and I love popping down south for visits. But only to deal with one border is easier than 27!

It's still a long way off and may never happen in my lifetime but it's inching closer?

There's a generational change in opinions. A 65% majority may be possible, but only when the boomer generation no longer form the largest voting bloc. I suspect that a campaign would see a fair amount of movement in the polls as well.

paddykafka

At the first glance of this guy on the ITN news last night, I thought it was some comedian impersonating Boris Johnson.  :)

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/139/590x/michael-fabricant-1548159.webp?r=1641977919818

JayzusB.Christ

I thought exactly the same thing! One comment I saw was 'He's so far up Johnson's arse, he's got his hair'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

So, to the surprise of absolutely nobody, Boris Johnson was at the party. But it was a work event. And "technically within the rules".

Is this it, then?

Jim_Campbell

So... all Johnson did was wilfully and knowingly attend an event at Downing Street that he claims, as PM, he didn't know the nature of but once he discovered that it was actually illegal, he only stayed for 25 minutes, took no action at the time or subsequently, and then lied about it for months.

Dunno about you, but that all sounds completely fine to me...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CalHab

I think its 50/50 he goes at this point.

I also wouldn't bet against Pippa Crerar posting photos from the party of Johnson in a dentist's chair having champagne poured down his throat by a couple of strippers.

IndigoPrime

The narrative they've been trying to build over the pat day or two is that the event happened but that it was within the rules. Because most office meetings ask people to bring their own booze and have tables of picnic food. They're taking us for fools, again. And they'll almost certainly get away with it, again.

CalHab

I don't know that they will get away with it.

It's highly unlikely the Met will prosecute. They won't bite the hand that feeds.

The question is, how much will it damage the government and the Tories in the polls? I think the anecdotal stories about relatives dying alone while Downing Street partied are horrifying, and it appears that a lot of folk agree.

CalHab

Anecdotally, I've just spoken to a couple of Conservative voters I know. Both said the same, "He has to go."

If I was Keir Starmer, I'd probably hope that Johnson limps on for a few months, damaging everyone around him.

IndigoPrime

But that's the issue: HE has to go. How much damage will Johnson do the Tories? So he might lose his job, but the party will be insulated. There will be a new leader. There will be a significant poll bounce as the press comes back on-side while the bullshit begins in convincing the public that this is somehow an entirely different party (again).

A pity there isn't a general election tomorrow, mind. Most current predictors suggest you'd have a reasonably comfortable Lab/Lib majority.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: CalHab on 12 January, 2022, 01:45:34 PM
Anecdotally, I've just spoken to a couple of Conservative voters I know. Both said the same, "He has to go."

If I was Keir Starmer, I'd probably hope that Johnson limps on for a few months, damaging everyone around him.

Agree let him limp on and affect more people around him and in the party and hopefully make them unelectable for a good few decades. (But it won't 🙁)

They(the tories) could let him stay until the May elections and use that and any bad results as an excuse to get rid of him instead of punting him out in "Disgrace"  and officially tarnish the party?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

I'm just waiting of the leaked footage of Johnson shouting:

"YES!!! He's getting done for sexual assault. That's a result today!"

judgeurko

i hope Johnson burns in hell.

JayzusB.Christ

Hmm... seems a bit permanent.  I'll settle for him resigning in disgrace and hopefully doing a lot of damage to the Tories' reputation as a whole along the way.  Obviously he'd also need to be face legal charges for breaking the law, like everyone else who got caught doing similar things during lockdown, but that's probably a pipe dream.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Douglas Ross, to whom I never tire of shouting "Fuck off, Douglas!" whenever he appears on screen, Leader of Scottish Conservative Party, has called for Boris to resign.

Well done, Douglas. But can you still fuck off, please?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!