Main Menu

Meg 427: The Ssspiritsss Of The Ssseason!

Started by Freddychopper, 14 December, 2020, 04:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 January, 2021, 05:35:06 PM
You're not borrowing mine!

That was just weird. And will teach me to type on my phone without very closely checking everything afterwards.

You can put yours down now, Tjm, I promise I won't be grabbing hold of it.

SBT

wedgeski

I didn't comment at the time but I also thought 427 was exceptional.

Dark Jimbo

My partner got me this issue when she got me the Xmas prog - much of it didn't make any sense to me, but I thought my musings (as someone not following the current stories) might be of interest.

I'm going to damn Dredd with faint praise - it was fine. A nice enough little tale, that's ultimately not going to linger long in the memory.

Megatropolis was amazing. Definitely going to pick up the eventual collection of this. Purely as a vehicle for Dave Taylor to do his thang - that gorgeous neo-noir Gotham-meets-Metropolis - it justifies its existence, but the script was great too.

Dreadnoughts - equally, wow. So much to love here. It's such a dense read - halfway through I had to remind myself who had written this, and to see Carroll's name really surprised me. I wasn't always the biggest fan of his Dredds - in fact, his apparent assumption of the 'lead Dredd writer' mantle at the time was one of the reasons I parted ways from the prog - but this is such a step up! Really confident storytelling with loads to unpick, and Higgins brings his A-game to match. The colouring is really sympathetic, too. Another to pick up when collected.

Not a scooby what was happening in The Returners. Lovely art, but the decompression is something else...! You could just about get away with this kind of storytelling in the prog, on a weekly schedule, but when you're working with monthly episodes it's just insane to be offering up 2- and 3-panel pages like this. It's a big part of what (quite rightly) pissed everybody off with American Reaper Sexy Ostriches.

Not a fan of what I read of Deliverance. Hopefully this Whisper chap has had some prior set-up that I missed; he seems to be a walking deus ex machina. 'The only man who can free Death' - er, okay, but why? A fair bit of decompression here, too, and Nick Percival's soft-focus art just makes me feel like my eyesight's going. Based on this (maybe unfairly) I won't be rushing to seek out the Dark Judge stories that I've missed.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Quote from: broodblik on 18 December, 2020, 02:22:44 PM
I have an issue with page 55 and 56 which should be a double page but because of the way the pages are numbered with the digital version it does not pan together when you turn your device. Is this the case with the printed meg as well that the double page is back-to-back?

Hello! Very slow to reply to this, but I can confirm that the print copy of the Meg does have a properly printed double-page spread in the Dark Justice story, although I make it pages 56-57. It shows Death goring two hapless folks, one on each hand. Could it be that another page is missing from the digital copy, which is messing up the numbering and the double-page thing?

I agree with Dark Jimbo - this latest Dark Judges tale isn't working for me; a shame as Torture Garden was excellent, lots of creepy ideas in there.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 14 January, 2021, 09:33:00 AM
I have an issue with page 55 and 56 which should be a double page but because of the way the pages are numbered with the digital version it does not pan together when you turn your device. Is this the case with the printed meg as well that the double page is back-to-back?
I agree with Dark Jimbo - this latest Dark Judges tale isn't working for me; a shame as Torture Garden was excellent, lots of creepy ideas in there.

I do have to stress this is the only episode of the current story that I've read!
@jamesfeistdraws

broodblik

Any fans of Dreadnoughts here is some good news and Mike Carroll confirms in the interview below that he delivered the second series:

https://2000ad.com/news/interview-talking-judge-dredd-desperadlands-with-michael-carroll/
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

dweezil2

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 14 January, 2021, 10:28:27 AM
Quote from: AlexF on 14 January, 2021, 09:33:00 AM

I do have to stress this is the only episode of the current story that I've read!

Have to disagree and state that I'm finding the whole "Death Cult Of Death"  storyline hugely entertaining and the gloriously grotesque art is the putrid swollen eyeball on the bloody cake.

Great news that Dreadnoughts is due a second series too!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Freddychopper

I'm loving Deliverance. Admittedly, it's probably best that you've read all of Torture Garden to fully understand Judge Whisper and the Sisters but I think it's a fresh take on the Dark Judges by Hine. Percival's art is so imaginative and detailed. You certainly get your money's worth with it.

broodblik

The meg continues its good run and as already mentioned hopefully Megatroplis and Dreadnoughts can be added along-side Lawless on a more regular basis.

Dredd – An interesting short with some good art by Agustin Padilla (I think this is his first Dredd story).

Megatroplis – The big question here is who is the vigilante? The smart money is on Joe Dredd. Niemand and Taylor created an interesting alternative Dredd-verse and which I am totally invested into.

Dreadnoughts – This is some of Mike Carroll's best work to date. The story has now established itself as a firm favourite in my books and hopefully we can have many more of this.

The Returners – This for me is the weakest entry of the meg but I am still enjoying the story and art. 

Deliverance – The twisted tale of resurfacing of the Dark Judges continues. Nick Percival is the ideal artist to bring this grim and dark tale to life.

The floppy contains the story The Alienist and hopefully we will get more of this in the prog again.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.