Main Menu

Hello from hellish California

Started by hellscrape, 31 March, 2023, 03:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellscrape

Hi all, my name is Victor, and I've spent the last few months poring over 75% of these threads to deepen my 2000ad knowledge. I first got the American dread vs. Death Bolland DC book years ago, then Bad Company, then Nemesis... a little Indigo Prime as well... after years of resistance, I gave in and went full throttle into this slice of the comics world. I've picked up over 75 graphic novels in the past few months and really hope to continue my growing appreciation of 2000ad!

I just finished off Invasion 1984, and found all three Charley's War books and am reading a few chapters a night. After that, I plan to get into Strontium Dog, but I've had a hard time moving through the Starlord tales. Might jump ahead to the second case file and revisit the early tales afterwards.

Trooper McFad

Welcome aboard and enjoy your big catch up. You must let us know your highlights so far.

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

Welcome and enjoy your catch-up.

A suggestion is too look at Nikola Dante as well - 11 books and it has a finale

Strontium Dog only start picking-up for me at the end of Search and Destroy Agency Files 1 (basically everything after including "The Schicklgrubber Grab" is great)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 03:53:22 AMI've picked up over 75 graphic novels in the past few months and really hope to continue my growing appreciation of 2000ad! 

Impressive!

Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 03:53:22 AMand found all three Charley's War books and am reading a few chapters a night.

If you are able to get used to the fact this is an old school all ages story hopefully you'll be able to appreciate this is one of the greatest and most important work in western comic fiction. Just astonishing stuff.

Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 03:53:22 AMI plan to get into Strontium Dog, but I've had a hard time moving through the Starlord tales. Might jump ahead to the second case file and revisit the early tales afterwards.

if you have Agnecy File 1 already might be as well to skip toward the end and read the stories from say 'The Schicklgruber Grab' as Agency Files 2 starts with a story 'Portrait of a Mutant' that I always feel needs a little context, but is simply magnificent. You'll find your own way through of course but might be worth a try?

Quote from: broodblik on 31 March, 2023, 07:38:19 AMWelcome and enjoy your catch-up.

A suggestion is too look at Nikola Dante as well - 11 books and it has a finale

Strontium Dog only start picking-up for me at the end of Search and Destroy Agency Files 1 (basically everything after including "The Schicklgrubber Grab" is great)

Or I could have said just do what Broodblik says - they always talk sense!

As is their suggestion of Dante one of the comic greats.

Other recommendation is maybe try some modern Dan Abnett, Brink, The Out and personal favourite Lawless as they are all simply wonderful and some of the very, very best modern comics.

More importantly welcome aboard and have fun... well you clearly are already so maybe I should say have more fun!

hellscrape

Personal highlights include:
ABC Warriors: The Black Hole, just for that raw Bisley against the studied SMS
Nemesis the Warlock: the Talbot drawn stories are my personal favorites!
McMahon on Slaine... and Dredd... and Last American. Oops, not 2000ad, but close enough!
Really fell in love with the old Dredd Epics: Judge Child, Judge Cal, Block Mania, Cursed Earth, Apocalypse War (except for Cursed Earth uncensored, I stuck to the old Titan editions for their superb printing).
Really enjoyed Necropolis (it took my whole life to fall in love with Carlos!)
Button Man was brilliant, although totally different from most the other things I've read.
John Smith is well loved here. I have Indigo Prime, cradlegrave, leatherjack, Devlin Waugh, Revere, Firekind, and a few other odds and ends.
Wagner seems to be firing on all cylinders from the Pit on... not about the Case Files *yet* but I really love all the modern Dredd. I don't know where to go after Wagner, though.
Proteus Vex was interesting, and I'm here for more!
Shakara might be one of the most fist pumping tales I've ever read. I hear pounding metal and techno music in my head when I read it.

On deck I am looking forward to Stainless Steel Rat, the rest of Charley's War,and reading Stront for the very first time.

Definitely a fan of the classic Era, and very much open to suggestions about modern tales. I'd love to get to know Lawless, Nikolai (although the books can be hard to find in the States), non-Wagner Dredd, and Dreadnoughts.

And there's a lot of megazine floppies and Extreme Editions I'd love to land, but they are hard (translation: expensive) to get here...

Barrington Boots

Welcome to the board!
Awesome to hear you're loving all that stuff. Enjoy catching up, there's some real wonders for ypu yet to read!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

I'd also recommend you listen to Space Spinner 2000 - two Americans reading through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic (and they spent a stint in LA before relocated to the UK, via other places so you'll have a bit in common with 'em)!  You've probably seen the thread if you've loooked around the forum...

IndigoPrime

QuoteJohn Smith is well loved here.
Good man. Welcome to the board. You should also as of now have full posting abilities on the board.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: hellscrape on 31 March, 2023, 08:05:59 AMI'd love to get to know Lawless, Nikolai (although the books can be hard to find in the States), non-Wagner Dredd, and Dreadnoughts.

Are you are open to reading digital versions of any of the above? They are all pretty reasonably priced in the Rebellion shop....and you just missed a huge Humble Bundle sale featuring the entire Nikolai run.

if you just want print then Book Depository has a very good selection. Can be a little expensive but all prices include worldwide delivery

https://www.bookdepository.com/Dreadnoughts--Breaking-Ground/9781781089385

hellscrape

I am definitely a print-only snob at this time. I spend enough time working on my computer, and the tangible experience of holding the book and turning the pages is part of the intrinsic charm of reading... Once I get through my current backlog, I'll be buying some more books!

I am very much loving Charley's War! I was afraid that the "old school" art and boy's adventure style would be a turn-off, but actually, it seems to really only increase the impact of the narrative, juxtaposing the horrors of war with the confines of the format.

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I'm sure you'll see me around, poking my nose across the various topics!

Trooper McFad

Print is definitely the best but lack of space (aloud by my good lady) means I have had to go Digital for all but my special editions. 🙁

If you have hidden talents (writing/drawing/programming/model making) the board has a Christmas Advent thread each year where everyone is invited to pick a date during December and post their Christmas themed 2000AD efforts (but not necessary) and let other boarders enjoy the talent amongst us. Watch out for the submissions thread in November. 👍🏻😁

JohnW

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 31 March, 2023, 07:21:46 PMIf you have hidden talents (writing/drawing/programming/model making)
...juggling/tap dancing/conjuring tricks/balloon animals/accordion playing/celebrity impressions/erotic motorcycle stunts?

Trooper McFad wants to hear from you!

Welcome to the board, Hellscrape — where no one can escape Advent.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Trooper McFad

Quote from: JWare on 31 March, 2023, 07:43:41 PM
Quote from: Trooper McFad on 31 March, 2023, 07:21:46 PMIf you have hidden talents (writing/drawing/programming/model making)
...juggling/tap dancing/conjuring tricks/balloon animals/accordion playing/celebrity impressions/erotic motorcycle stunts?

Trooper McFad wants to hear from you!

Welcome to the board, Hellscrape — where no one can escape Advent.

😂😂😂😂😂

Just trying to take the pressure off you and Colin filling in half the allotted days 😁👍🏻

hellscrape

I'm a psychologist that focuses on evaluations for young children (autism, ADHD, that kind of thing), so my creative skills are somewhat stunted!

On the other hand, I've been tricked into another buying spree. My excitement about joining the forum was too much for my little head to handle... today I purchased the following books:
Strontium Dog:
- Life and Death: War Dogs
- The Son
- Traitor to His Kind
- The Kreeler Consipracy
- Repo Men
Judge Dredd:
- Dead Zone
- The Citadel
- Guatemala
- Mechanismo: Machine Law
Dreadnoughts

broodblik

Some good reading there you will not be disappointed
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.