Main Menu

Marvel's Mightiest Heroes

Started by James Stacey, 04 January, 2014, 10:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

I see marvel have officially released their second part work. I have collected all the first, with about 4 left to arrive and have enjoyed most of what I read although I still probably have 1/2 the books to get through. I understood the premise of that set though. It was supposed to be the best of Marvel. Defining and standout stories. I can't quite see the point of this set. Will each book be dedicated to an individual character / group then they aren't touched on again. Does this mean with 60 books all sorts of random characters from the archives are going to be turfed out and showcased. I guess my main question is .. is it worth it. I'm 1/2 tempted on the strength of the first set and I wont miss the money as its already been going out for a couple of years on the previous set but I can't really grasp what this set is trying to achieve

JamesC

Yep I think it's just spotlighting different characters. The first set is Avengers but since there have been so many lie ups I'm sure there'll be more from the Avengers down the line.
There seem to some lesser known characters scheduled though - I think Captain Britain and Namor are both getting collections.
Another thing to mention is that the collections seem to contain old origin stories as well as newer arcs. This is good news for me - I love those old 60s Marvel comics and we'll likely get to see much goodness from the likes of Kirby, Ditko and Romita.

The thing that out me off subscribing is that it seems to be published by a part work company that I haven't heard of before and if you want to cancel you have to do it by letter. This sounds alarm bells for me as those old book clubs used to be similar and they'd always say they hadn't received your correspondence.
I'll probably pick them up from WHSmith for as long as I'm able and then get any others I want from ebay.

James Stacey

You haven't heard of hachette? They are huge. Hachette are the parent company who own a huge amount of imprints in the Uk (octopus, Phillips maps, Hodder). I wouldn't worry about that.

JamesC

I'd only heard of Dagostini and Eaglemoss, both of which allow cancelation by phone. In fact they both have dedicated subscription call centres who you can call if you have any problems.
I haven't looked too closely at Hachette customer service procedures but what happens if your stuff doesn't turn up or is damaged? Do you have to write a letter about that too?

James Stacey

I had problems with one delivery from the last lot where the same book came through twice. It was all handled via email no problems. I've certainly had no problems with their service before, I'm just unsure if I want to shell out for hardback copies of the Disco Dazzler or WonderMan

Darren Stephens

Has anyone actually picked this up yet? Can't find it in any of the shops I'd got the previous series from.....?

Edited. Nevermind. Just seen on the FP website, that this is coming 12th Jan.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

I picked the first one up in WH Smiths a couple of days ago.

Darren Stephens

......oh. Maybe they sold out then? Ah well.  ;)
                                       CLICK^^

starscape

Quote from: JamesC on 04 January, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
There seem to some lesser known characters scheduled though - I think Captain Britain and Namor are both getting collections.
How do you know?  Or at least, can you say a little more on what's coming?

JamesC

Quote from: starscape on 05 January, 2014, 06:41:00 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 04 January, 2014, 10:52:15 AM
How do you know?  Or at least, can you say a little more on what's coming?

There's some info on the big cardboard backing thing that issue 1 is taped to. I've chucked it out now but it says something like 'All you need to know about Marve's Mightiest Heroes such as...' And then there are a load of head shots with names underneath.
Also, the magazine thing folds out into a nice big poster.

Darren Stephens

Finally tracked down the first issue. Lovey stuff. Great to see some Kirby in there...!
                                       CLICK^^

Recrewt

I picked up the first one of these the other day as it was only £1.99.  Like others have already mentioned, each book is based on a particular character/team and seems to consist of the first story, another story and then some background information. 

For me, I don't think this series is going to be as good as the previous marvel collection.  That was basically a collection of good marvel stories whereas this is a bit more choppy.  I am not particularly interested in reading the first stories of these characters and I'm not sure that the other stories they cover will be enough of a pull. 

A nice alternative would have been a DC version of the previous marvel collection.

Darren Stephens

Picked up book two, Spiderman, today. Some lovely John Romita Jr artwork that I've not seen before. Top stuff. Wolvie next.....
                                       CLICK^^

James Stacey

I've decided not to go with this one. It's going to be vastly more hit and miss at a guess and whilst I've no regrets with getting the previous set there were some books were downright shonky and others I couldn't finish. That along with a stack I've yet to get through I think I'll thank marvel, I've enjoyed some of their stories, and spend my new found £20 a month on rebellion trades.

Darren Stephens

Just wondering if anyone can help... this may seem silly, but it's driving me mad!   :o
In the Spider Man book, there is a fantastic double page spread of Spidey fighting a huge collection of bad guys from his past. At the bottom, there's this guy, with the tentacle like hands....I seem to remember him from years ago, but can't place him. Can't find him in my Marvel Encyclopedia, either. Anyone got a name for me?  :D

CLICK^^