Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Slaine vs. Strontium Dog Rd 5 Heat 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 August, 2022, 06:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So managed to squeeze in prep and we are straight into Round 5. 32 thrills remain, so at this point there is little use going on about how tough this will now be, how we are going to lose great thrills and how mind melting some of the decisions will become. It's now pretty obvious. That said there is one tie this week which I had as an outside chance of the final... not to be anymore AND I might go into meltdown if we see the end of the done in one story... it's going to be interesting to say the least

I can see a world in which this is the final... I mean it's not this world, but Jack Dancer will wander through the Library and find it one day! Also I secretly wish Slaine that actually been called 'Adventures of Slaine' or 'Arh here comes Ukko' or similar... see form book...

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Slaine: Bix Barton; Harke and Burr; Metalzoic
Strontium Dog: Angel Gang; Absalom; Ant Wars

Slaine - more info

VS

Strontium Dog - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 6th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Early voting can often be deceptive BUT interesting start... VERY interesting start!

Magnetica

Slaine was going to be my number two in this tournament, but Strontium Dog is my number one.

abelardsnazz

Aaron A Aardvark

There's lots to admire in Slaine but I've never liked it.

Strontium Dog

Timothy

Strontium Dog. The highs of Slaine were superb, but it was patchy. Stront was consistently good.

IndigoPrime

Good grief. If Sláine wins this, I'd love to know why. Yes, some (not all) of those early strips were fantastic – despite whiffing of Conan, it brought something different into the Prog, and mashing in bits and pieces from actual Celtic mythology was a very smart move by Mills. It brought the strip an air of authenticity similar strips don't have. Sky Chariots is a high for the Prog. Horned God is as well, visually at least. (On re-reading it in the UC, it... doesn't stand up as well as I remembered it.)

But Sláine also had years of meandering crap, and even of late had descended into something akin to borderline parody. It felt like Mills was tired and the strips themselves were tiresome, despite lovely art. Taken as a whole, the strip isn't that strong for me – probably better than Rogue Trooper, but below other 2000 AD heavy hitters.

Strontium, Dog was an odd one on an UC re-read as well. I liked quite a few of the classic strips less than I remembered, but the reboot stuff a bit more. However, there are at least as many highs in the classic run as Sláine had (The Killing; Rage; some great moments on Portrait of a Mutant), and the art is relentlessly high quality. There are some issues. Final Solution is heavy handed. The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha is humourless grimdark Strontium Dog that feels bitter. It's far, far too long, and I vehemently disliked what Wagner did regarding Hogan and Feral. Even so, on paper, this looks like Man City vs Liverpool, but ultimately it's more like Man City vs Leicester – a titan vs an opponent that has had some big highs but mostly exists in a range of good to mediocrity.

So: Strontium Dog, and it's not even close.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 August, 2022, 09:59:21 AM
Even so, on paper, this looks like Man City vs Liverpool, but ultimately it's more like Man City vs Leicester – a titan vs an opponent that has had some big highs but mostly exists in a range of good to mediocrity.

Love that analogy!

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 August, 2022, 10:15:50 AM
Even so, on paper, this looks like Man City vs Liverpool, but ultimately it's more like Man City vs Leicester – a titan vs an opponent that has had some big highs but mostly exists in a range of good to mediocrity.

Love that analogy!

But Leicester Tigers will easily defeat Man City
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 03 August, 2022, 10:29:05 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 August, 2022, 10:15:50 AM

Love that analogy!
But Leicester Tigers will easily defeat Man City

At croquet.

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!