Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

I met with number 12...the year was 1625, I believe. He's a very good doctor who won't break any cardinal rules.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Everyone stop what you're doing, google the word "Literally" and look at the second definition from the google dictionary.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

It isn't just more grammar nazis pissed about the fact that language is ever-evolving and they might have to remember something new, is it?  I find that kind of thought-oppression far more tiresome than someone trying to express themselves.

Nope, google are literally saying that the word literally, literally doesn't mean literally. No doubt this will piss off the grammar nazis who think dictionaries should be prescriptive not descriptive.

Frank

Those sound like reasonable points, but all we're really arguing about is time and distance. Of course, if enough people use a word in a certain way then that's just what it fucking means and there's no point shouting about it. The question is how many people have to use it in that way and for how long before you stop being someone who's trying to help them not make themselves look stupid, and start being an entrenched pedant and left brain word fetishist.

Kids at my work say pacifically when they mean specifically on a regular basis. At the moment, picking them up on it seems like doing them a favour (they're definitely unaware of what they're doing), but I don't know how long it might take for that to go from being the kind of thing which could trip them up in a job interview to the equivalent of when you incredulously ask someone if they're serious, and they reply No, it's true - as if you've asked them are you kidding?

That one's so common I've given up and accepted it.

Charlie boy

I don't get all the tabloid excitement over Cara Delevingne. Every time I see a picture of her, I find myself being reminded of young Axl Rose.

Goaty

Charlie boy

At first I thought you'd replied without writing a single word. Then that picture of her jumped up on my computer and gave me quite a shock indeed. Well played, sir Goaty.

Spikes

Professor Bear

I don't really keep track of celebrities these days and thus I do not know who that person is so I shall phrase this as delicately and diplomatically as I can: were they always a women or is that a recent development?

Quote from: sauchie on 14 August, 2013, 09:48:26 PMKids at my work say pacifically when they mean specifically on a regular basis. At the moment, picking them up on it seems like doing them a favour

It is at the moment, and while language is ever-evolving to the point that words will move around and mean different things at different times - "gay" being an example - so that at some point in the future "pacifically" may become widespread through initially-ironic usage in much the same way "pwn" has, if I was personally taking an interview with someone I would expect basic literacy and clear communication ability.  Teach these skills and you are definately doing anyone a favour.
I am no grammar nazi, but I still find an adult using txt on a form deeply troubling.  It automatically makes me think of the post-apocalyptic generations that appear towards the end of Threads.

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 14 August, 2013, 11:38:29 PM
if I was personally taking an interview with someone I would expect basic literacy and clear communication ability. 

Yes, in a professional environment people should be able to communicate clearly, and yet you get business types banging on about Blue Sky Thinking Outside the Box. There are so many examples of what could be considered bad language that have nothing to do with fuckin' swear words.

Take football commentary for instance, even if you don't watch the sport, you're likely at least vaguely aware of the awkward metaphors sports broadcasters come out with*.

Statistically, roughly 50% of people have below average communication skills. That's how averages work, they're in the middle, and yet the majority of people would probably claim to be above average. ME, for example.

*If any Grammar Nazis are keeping score, this sentence used a preposition to finish with.

Frank

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 14 August, 2013, 11:38:29 PM
I am no grammar nazi, but I still find an adult using txt on a form deeply troubling.  It automatically makes me think of the post-apocalyptic generations that appear towards the end of Threads.

We're all Ruth's babies.

von Boom

Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 August, 2013, 02:22:14 AM
Take football commentary for instance, even if you don't watch the sport, you're likely at least vaguely aware of the awkward metaphors sports broadcasters come out with*.

I immediately thought of sport commentaries when it came to shit similes.

Frank

Quote from: von Boom on 15 August, 2013, 04:34:21 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 15 August, 2013, 02:22:14 AM

I immediately thought of sport commentaries when it came to shit similes.

There was a nice lady on Radio Scotland today, explaining why Jamie Redknapp commenting that "Wayne Rooney is literally on fire" is perfectly fine, because you can infer that it's being used for emphasis from the context in which it's being used. The host asked her what word Jamie Redknapp should use to communicate that Wayne Rooney was literally, literally being consumed by flames, now that literally doesn't mean literally anymore.

Professor Bear

That would be "Wayne Rooney is for reals on fire."