Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: Charlie boy on 07 March, 2014, 12:17:24 PM
I'm feeling all sophisticated after throwing out all the socks I had with holes in them. Seeing how I'm about to start sorting through my underwear, I'm pretty sure I'll soon be pushing people into puddles so I can step over them without having to risk getting my feet wet.

First to be shot when the glorious revolution comes.

Spikes

Off to look at Jupiter tonight...

TordelBack

Quote from: Spikes on 07 March, 2014, 05:34:21 PM
Off to look at Jupiter tonight...

Few better things to do in this life.

The Doctor Alt 8

Awww jelous! Wish I could do that...

TordelBack

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 07 March, 2014, 07:46:23 PM

Do!  It's the bright thing high in the southern sky at the moment, above Orion (and the home of our alien benefactor), to the right of the moon.  Glorious with the naked eye even in built-up areas, but a darker sky and a decent set of binocs or small telescope will show you Callisto, Ganymede, Io and Europa, not to mention the broad strokes of Jupiter's atmosphere.  Just the most incredible thing to see for the first time: other worlds in orbit around the clouds of another world!

Spikes

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 March, 2014, 08:39:58 PM
Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 07 March, 2014, 07:46:23 PM

Do!  It's the bright thing high in the southern sky at the moment, above Orion (and the home of our alien benefactor), to the right of the moon.  Glorious with the naked eye even in built-up areas, but a darker sky and a decent set of binocs or small telescope will show you Callisto, Ganymede, Io and Europa, not to mention the broad strokes of Jupiter's atmosphere.  Just the most incredible thing to see for the first time: other worlds in orbit around the clouds of another world!

Was you stood behind me!?!

But yes, all those things was observed.

Our local Astronomical group is having a open night (over two nights, in fact), so went along.

The main focus was Jupiter - and a real buzz to see four of the moons, along with the bands of Jupiter's atmosphere for the first time.
And stunning views of our Moon as well.

And a bit of homework to do - how many stars can be seen in the 'rectangle' of Orion? - http://www.cpre.org.uk/what-we-do/countryside/dark-skies/update/item/3525-star-count-2014

Great fun, and pretty well attended.

Dandontdare

the downside of living in the inner city- It looks like a bright star, and my falt mate is outside now with binoculars trying to see more, but generally we see jack shit. FIGHT LIGHT POLLUTION!

I did see the most impressive shooting star I've ever seen last week though - rather than just a moving 'star' this one flashed red and seemed to have a comet like tail - for the one second before it was gone.

Dandontdare

Update - he's back and reports: without a tripod or better binoculars it *just looks like a star"

Charlie boy

Quote from: Trout Trousers on 07 March, 2014, 01:23:53 PM
I'm feeling all sophisticated after throwing out all the socks I had with holes in them. Seeing how I'm about to start sorting through my underwear, I'm pretty sure I'll soon be pushing people into puddles so I can step over them without having to risk getting my feet wet.

As long as I no longer own a pair of underwear that're almost as old as me when said revolution comes, I'll go happy

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Charlie boy on 08 March, 2014, 09:58:27 PM

As long as I no longer own a pair of underwear that're almost as old as me when said revolution comes, I'll go happy

So you've rejected all that is holy? BURN THE HEATHEN!
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

1688?  Better pick up some raw steak over at the canteen.

Goaty

Never knew that!

Indiana Jones + Magnum PI = Chip 'n' Dale.

M.I.K.

I've always just assumed that anyway.

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 March, 2014, 07:35:02 AM

1688?  Better pick up some raw steak over at the canteen.

Stop showing off with all your book learning.

The Enigmatic Dr X

One adult and three children for The Lego Movie: £39.56.

Popocorn and drinks: £18.50.

FFS! No wonder I hardly go to the pictures. Far better off buying the DVD and some Butterkist in Asda.
Lock up your spoons!