Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 September, 2015, 04:33:23 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 26 September, 2015, 12:47:21 PM

As ever it appears to be the considered position of the authorities that they should just cease to exist and then everything will be fine, including the poop.

Yup, that's the way of Irish government. If you don't fit in, we'll pretend you don't exist till you stop existing.

Nothing particular to Irish government about that :-(

Goaty

Then there was red moon, and they found water on Mars and Facebook down, so was it end of the world tomorrow not Tuesday last week?

CrazyFoxMachine

For some reason Ozzy Osbourne was in my home town yesterday. I find that hilarious for some reason.

IAMTHESYSTEM

He's looking rather sprightly for an old rocker. My old Boss used to work for him as a cleaner/washer up. It's a small world after all.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Hawkmumbler

I'm linking this because, god above, that's some truly stupendously awful art and I wouldn't want to scar any one here with Frank Miller awfulness.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/frank-millers-first-dark-knight-iii-cover-revealed

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 October, 2015, 10:41:38 PM
I'm linking this because, god above, that's some truly stupendously awful art and I wouldn't want to scar any one here with Frank Miller awfulness.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/frank-millers-first-dark-knight-iii-cover-revealed

It sort-of works if you imagine it's a background detail from Marshal Law.

To quote Chief Judge Silver, when they fall, they fall hard.

Hawkmumbler

Kev O'Neill, however, is a massively accomplished artist and any kind of gaudy art in Marshal Law is entirely intentional (see Public Spirit in the original mini, or the Golden Age Hero's in Hateful Dead).

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 06 October, 2015, 10:27:16 AM
Kev O'Neill, however, is a massively accomplished artist

So is Miller. He changed comics. Twice.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Butch on 06 October, 2015, 01:40:23 PM

Fair enough. Though I'm finding it harder and harder to separate young, fresh, groundbreaking Frank from old, racist, cack-handed Frank.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 October, 2015, 04:09:58 PM
Quote from: Butch on 06 October, 2015, 01:40:23 PM

Fair enough. Though I'm finding it harder and harder to separate young, fresh, groundbreaking Frank from old, racist, cack-handed Frank.

Exactly.
He may have done great stuff 30 years ago, but he'd a horrible old racist now. 

Frank

Being a great artist and being an apalling human being aren't mutually exclusive.

Sin City, 300, and Martha Washington - a strong, black female (title) character who isn't a dull exercise in box ticking - were all good until around 1999, but (like many comic creators) Miller spent most of the 21st century trying (and failing) to get out of comics and into the film industry. All Star Batman is good, apparently.

The image King of the Hawkmongers linked to above is rubbish, but the reasons for that are obvious. The 2000ad board probably isn't the best place to open up a discussion about comic creators who were great in the eighties but who - through a combination of ill health and old age - no longer hit quite the same heights.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Ach, you could probably make a really long list of artists (from any creative field, musicians, writers, you name it) that produced seminal works early in their careers, but then two of three decades later, the quality of their work plummeted.

I'll start, shall I?

Paul McCartney.

Although he might have died years ago and we should be blaming Billy Shears for Wings etc...
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

I wouldn't hold getting old and losing it against anyone.  I would, however, hold producing blatantly racist work while spouting chickenhawk, elitist crap against Frank Miller.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"