Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Sometimes I forget who I am, even for weeks at a time.  Always quite a shock to remember.

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 07 October, 2015, 03:47:23 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 October, 2015, 03:13:48 PM
Really, he was never that great.

Really, he was. When we're talking about the era-defining greats of sequential art, Miller absolutely has a seat at the table. The passage of time, his wildly controversial personal beliefs, and the appropriation of his techniques and ideas by later creators may all have obscured this, but in his day, Miller was a remarkable and innovative storyteller. Nothing can change that.

Agreed.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion Hawk, and that's how it should be.
In this case however you'd be in the minority amongst fans of the medium.

Link Prime

Quote from: Goaty on 08 October, 2015, 06:39:23 PM
Jock been teasing on Instagram that he doing DKIII. Guess it sequel to Dark Knight Return...?

I heard that Jock is doing a cover for DKIII, but maybe some interior art too?
Kubert & Janson are the series' main artists, but having Jock on one of the 'mini comics' would be great.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 October, 2015, 08:56:35 AM
Sometimes I forget who I am, even for weeks at a time.  Always quite a shock to remember.

I have no idea who I am any more, if it's any consolation.  Not sure I ever did. Who is anyone anyway other than a series of electrical impulses controlling a colony of cells? These are things I think about a lot. Or at least what my DNA for some reason forces my braincells to collectively process. I'm a motorised mass of meat; and beyond that I haven't a clue.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 October, 2015, 03:04:00 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 07 October, 2015, 03:47:23 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 07 October, 2015, 03:13:48 PM
Really, he was never that great.

Really, he was. When we're talking about the era-defining greats of sequential art, Miller absolutely has a seat at the table. The passage of time, his wildly controversial personal beliefs, and the appropriation of his techniques and ideas by later creators may all have obscured this, but in his day, Miller was a remarkable and innovative storyteller. Nothing can change that.

Agreed.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion Hawk, and that's how it should be.
In this case however you'd be in the minority amongst fans of the medium.
I can live with that, and I don't think it's quite as small a minority as you might think.

The Legendary Shark

Future Shock documentary. From 1972. With Orson Welles!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Played my first game of D&D. Super fun pretend times!

Colin YNWA

Hey you lot, stop seeking in a debate about comics and the industries fading lights in a thread that is meant* to be a nonsense distraction. Its almost as though you don't want to hear me roll out my thoughts, once again, on the fact that Frank Miller's work hasn't stood the test of time. His DD run (first one) has dated badly and while fun doesn't really hold up as well as its remembered. DKR is good but not great, however significent it was in the day. His work beyond that is fair proof if the law of diminishing returns and only Born Again and Year One stand up to real scrutiny as classics**. Its as if you don't wish to hear me spout on yet again, with typos abound and spelling asunder, that Klaus Janson and David Mazzucchelli are artists that raise his game beyond his own art (though boy he could tell a story)... its almost as if you don't want me to play.

*Well I say that, I've never understood this thread, I'm simple and old.

** I need to re-read Elektra Assasin before I pass judgement there.

von Boom

Bet you wish you lived in Tennesse now.

TordelBack

Blessed are the Colt Peacemakers.

The Legendary Shark

Imagine if that ad was in Farsi...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Sean Philips talks about comic art. Apple logies if posted somewhere else.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34226071
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Sean Phillips talks about drawing famous comic heroes on the BBC website

EDIT - oops, sorry IATS, you beat me to it by several hours! Should've checked  :-[

Theblazeuk

Quote from: von Boom on 14 October, 2015, 09:38:46 PM
Bet you wish you lived in Tennesse now.

"35-
"For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW;...

Cross References
Luke 12:51
Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division."

And here I thought they were such nice boys.