Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Butch on 17 June, 2016, 10:13:27 PM
CFM makes a good point about emotional proximity subtly shifting the boundary between laughing at and laughing in sympathy with someone, but makes too great an assumption regarding my own intentions.

Everyone who shares a continuing interest in Thryllseekr's welfare can befriend him on social media.

Is it because you posted it simply going "I fucking love Thryllseekr" and said nowt else perhaps? It's easy to make great assumptions about your behavior because I know next to nothing about you.

Thryllseekr posted so much, a great deal, I know what that man looks like, I know his views on far far too many things. I know his name. I know it all. It's easier to feel things about him. There's far more context to that man for me.

You however, Butch, I literally had to go back in forum history to even check whether you're the same person who used to very occasionally call themselves Sauchie. I don't know what your name is, I don't know what you look like, I know nothing about you. The only rock to cling to amongst all your name-changes is that you rarely stray beyond standard-opinionated-internet-snark like ninety percent of the time. I don't know your intentions, I don't know you. Of course I made an assumption regarding your motives they're utterly alien to me.

Think about that - I've been on this on-and-off for over a decade and literally all I can draw on is "it is likely he is being sarcastic about this". A triumph to your hard-won anonymity perhaps but this is as absolutely your choice as it was to post a screenshot of the FB status of a mentally troubled man with the only remark being "I fucking love Thryllseekr" and to trust entirely that we'd all somehow view this with an understanding of your concern. So by befriending him on social media you have a passing interest in his health, is clearly what we're meant to assume - but not enough to avoid gleefully screenshot his paranoia and post it here for us to ... what?!

Feel sorry? All share a collective invisible glance that says "well this IS a concern but IT'S HEARTENING HE'S UP TO HIS OLD TRICKS OF SEVERE MENTAL ILLNESS!"

This forum isn't life, I'd talk that way to co-workers about a colleague maybe, or family members together but never post it here where history and circumstance is utterly ephemeral to the majority of people viewing these posts.

I'd seriously think about that before your contextless next snark whoever you actually are.

Frank

Quote from: Tordelback on 17 June, 2016, 10:38:31 PM
I am deeply uncomfortable about us still making fun of the lad

There's a difference between finding someone funny and making fun of them. For what it's worth, the declaration of affection for Thryllseekr in my original post is entirely sincere.

The Legendary Shark

On the one hand, I'm sorry Thrylls is gone. Sure, some of his posts were the next best thing to impenetrable and others were a bit off-colour but I never felt angered or offended by them. A few other forum members did, though, and seemed to take great delight in, or at least be unable to stop themselves from, registering their anger and offence quite brutally. But these few, these unhappy few, do that to anyone who upsets them anyway. The majority seemed to care for Thrylls and didn't let his posts anger or offend them, giving him an outlet at least and the opportunity to have some form of caring human contact at most. I worry what cutting him loose from this community might do to him.

On the other hand, this is a website about a comic, not a day centre for the mentally ill, and those who frequent it have the right to be offended and angered (sometimes, it seems those two "rights" are the only ones people really care about any more) and the website owners have the right to decide who can and can't post here and what is or is not appropriate.

Personally, I would not have banned him but I understand why it happened. Furthermore, this is not my website - I am merely a member and have no say in the matter, nor do I want one.

I think it's a shame he's gone, that's all. I feel we've lost a little diversity, that the forum is now a little bit poorer.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: Butch on 17 June, 2016, 10:13:27 PM

Everyone who shares a continuing interest in Thryllseekr's welfare can befriend him on social media.

Fair point, as is CFM's about this being a website about a comic.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the decision.  There are aspects of TS's behaviour that we haven't been privy too (well, a lot of us) and so are not in a position to comment on.  The moderators have a duty of care and even though the majority of us are KOS's there are likely to be some youngsters kicking around.

I guess it was more of an observation on how supportive folks are around here at times.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 June, 2016, 05:26:23 AM
On the other hand, this is a website about a comic, not a day centre for the mentally ill...

Both, surely. Like most fan websites.

I miss TS for all the reasons you outline, Sharky. We are poorer for his absence. But I believe it wasn't random offense-taking by other members that was at issue, it was the hostile and deluded attitudes to women (and to a lesser extent trans folk), and occasional violence, and more importantly the detailed accounts of his actions re same. This was very worrying real world stuff. You just can't have that, and if TS had grasped that, he'd still be here. The PMs I know nothing about, he was always courteous in any PM exchanges we had, but I trust those who report a different experience.

I think Butch is right when he says that we can provide whatever human contact he got here by other online routes. That said, if he could be let back on a strict probation, I'd welcome that.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I'm afraid he'd been warned, didn't respond in the appropriate manner and consequently had to go. That's the law of the west!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I was quite pleased with that sportsball result tonight. Don't know who's happier, the Irish Fans or the French Pub Owners...
You may quote me on that.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mister Pops on 23 June, 2016, 12:06:55 AM
I was quite pleased with that sportsball result tonight. Don't know who's happier, the Irish Fans or the French Pub Owners...

*Hic* good quesstun

Jeebus, haven't had a mid-weeker like that since my teens, thank Grud I've booked the morning off.  :D

I, Cosh

Surely it's Island?

And everyone else on Earth who isn't a member of Ronaldo's immediate family.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Yes. Sportsball good for once.

Man two doors down very loudly smashed his telly when the worst of the non-penalties occured, then ran around even more loudly trying to get his spare tuned in. Much diversion on our estate.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tordelback on 23 June, 2016, 07:20:37 AM
Yes. Sportsball good for once.

Man two doors down very loudly smashed his telly when the worst of the non-penalties occured, then ran around even more loudly trying to get his spare tuned in. Much diversion on our estate.
Must have been amusing for you at least. :lol:

TordelBack

And now soccer appears to have developed a sense of cruel poetry...

Goaty

Bless, England lost to Wildlings of Game of Thrones...

IAMTHESYSTEM

They didn't deserve to go any further after that performance. H-U-M-I-L-I-A-T-I-O-N is to kind a word. The English football team always lets their fans down and this is final proof of that.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Steve Green