Main Menu

Do you follow characters or creators?

Started by Frank, 04 November, 2018, 02:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 November, 2018, 02:54:11 PM
Must have been having a bad day

Happens whenever someone resurrects an old thread. Scrolling through the comments, think 'this guy has no idea what he's talking about', realise it was me from two years ago.

Mattofthespurs

Characters. Always. Sorry to those creators but if you write/draw/ ink for Batman/Dredd/Superman/Punisher/Constantine/ and a few others then I will have enjoyed your work.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 05 November, 2018, 04:11:05 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 November, 2018, 03:18:11 PM
And despite venerating Uncle Pat,  I never buy his non-2000AD stuff.  So it's not entirely consistent. But creators>>characters almost every time.

So you missed out on Marshal Law?  Shame...

Ahem!
V V V

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 November, 2018, 03:18:11 PM
I buy everything by Moore, Wagner, Talbot, Kev O'Neill...

Greg M.

I follow creators, specifically writers. The only artists I tend to follow are writer-artists, like Eric Powell. However, when it comes to US comics franchises, I'm a fan of Spider-Man, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four, so I'll read these unless I've tried the writer's work before and found it wanting. Sometimes I'll still give them a go, irrespective - I wasn't into Warren Ellis, for instance, but I read his X-Men stuff.

JayzusB.Christ

Pretty much always creators with me; except with one of the very few American comics I've read extensively, Hellblazer (though I must admit I went there out of curiosity to see if Garth Ennis was as bad as he'd been on Dredd, and discovered the guy could write a good story after all).

John Constantine as a character somehow thrived on multiple writers; with many previously-average writers absolutely shining as they took him on.  Mike Carey, for example, never really set the prog alight but sent chills through me in Hellblazer. It's an awful pity John Smith couldn't have done more issues.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

Creators mostly. Especially when it comes to anything outside Brit comics. When I did buy American comics I tended to follow Vertigo or Epic and the 2000 AD creators that followed. Never a big follower of superheroes, I did tip my toes into Batman and a few others.
In general I'd be of the opinion that a creators work should stay with the creator. However, if its something that has been handed on by one of the original creators, like Swamp Thing, it does show what can be done with a character in different hands.
On the other hand if an IP is optioned by another media, Games or Films, is it OK for other creators to work on it, and if so then why not on comics?  Tough one.

Sinx

Creators
If it's an artist I really like then I'll buy
If it's a writer then it has to be backed up by art that I like even though I might not recognise the artist.
Probably the only exception is the Hulk (first US comic I bought as a kid) but there have been runs when both writing and art have caused me to leave issues on the shelf.

I, Cosh

Creators. If Tharg didn't build the droid, I'm not interested.
We never really die.

Magnetica

Quote from: I, Cosh on 06 November, 2018, 01:22:36 PM
If Tharg didn't build the droid, I'm not interested.

Me too, but I have struggled with some non 2000AD work by top 2000AD creators including Alan Moore, John Wagner, Alan Grant, Brian Bolland and Mike McMahon.

So for me the creative team and the characters need to come together for it to work.

GordyM

I'm also someone who'll mainly follow writers although over the years there's been artists who I'll pick anything they've done, such as Frank Quitely, Mike Mignola and Martin Emond (the first Megazine that I picked up had his and Garth Ennis' Chopper short - his art blew my tiny ****ing  mind!).
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file