Main Menu

Khaos

Started by kertap, 16 August, 2002, 02:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kertap

Can anybody remember what the Law is.

James

I need a visual reference for Harry Angel(who?) and his flight computer. I can't seem to find one on the site, I think the powers that be are trying to pretend he never happened, so if anyone can help me out I would me forever in your debt.

James

Mudcrab

Do what thou wilt, providing thou harm none, that shall be the whole of the law.

Taken from Alisteir Crowley. (speeling?)

Something like that anyway.

http://maroney.org/CrowleyIntro/Do_What_Thou_Wilt.html">Do what thou wilt
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

kertap

That's what I thought. But aliester crowley didn't say providing thou harm none. Thanks

malkymac

I think Nemeis (or Deadlock) in 2000ad just used to say "Do what thou wilt" and then started adding the extra bit on later on when he wnet through a wishty washy liberal phase.

Smiley

All that "Do what" stuff has it's origins in Thelemic Philosphy. The earliest mention of this philosophy was in a book called "Gargantua and Pantagruel" written by Francois Rabelais (who was a bit of a lad) in 1532.

At one stage, Rabelais goes on about "The Abbey of Thelema", a kinda church/nightclub set up to piss the Christians off. This abbey had one rule: "Do what thou wilt". (The greek word "Thelema" means "Will", I think.)

Crowley was infamous for cobbling bits of old religions together, he had his own version of the "Law of Thelema" where he stated "Do what thou wilt. Love is the law, love under will."

"Do what thou wilt, but harm none" appears to be a Wiccan/Pagan thing, and fairly recent by all accounts.

Jim_Campbell

"The earliest mention of this philosophy was in a book called "Gargantua and Pantagruel" written by Francois Rabelais (who was a bit of a lad) in 1532. "

Indeed, and Rabelais nicked it from St Augustine, who said "Love and do what thou will ..."

""Do what thou wilt, but harm none" appears to be a Wiccan/Pagan thing, and fairly recent by all accounts. "

Indeed. Load of tree-hugging hippy crap!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

London

here's another little something, if you look for 'lord of the flies' on the internet you might a) see someones scan of Deadlock with all flies and stuff and b) some website site that say beelzebub is also translated as 'lord of the flies', although I can't be sure

Smiley

I'm never 100% clued-up on these things, but I thought "Beelzebub" meant "Baal - Lord Of The Flies". I think it comes from the account of when the Philistine's god (Baal) saved them from a plague of flies, and so became "...of The Flies" (the "zebub" bit).

Oddboy

Obviously Nemesis borrowed his flies from his uncle.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Nice Tom

Smartass piece of intellectual information: In Milton's dramatic poem 'Samson Agonistes', one of the Philistines cries out, "O Baal-zebub!" Which certainly suggests that the name Beelzebub has its origins in pagan gods. Or something.

Nice Tom

Wait, ignore my last message. It's quite pointless. Ignore this one as well.