Main Menu

Casual Racial Insensitivity.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 18 August, 2002, 06:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Personally I'm Pro-Stereotype.
Whenever I meet someone who fits their stereotype it makes me smile.
You just have to be aware that stereotypes are not the 'rule' and avoid them when meeting with individuals, therefore comic book stereotypes are fine.
Better set your phaser to stun.

JimBob

I don't see Slaine as Satire, calling something  evil is hardly satirical. My point about picking on Christians rather than other groups is that it subscribes to the typical PC agenda that all other groups are sacred cows but anyhting vagurely British or Christian deserves a good kicking.
 I read the interview with Pat Mills about Charleys War (a favourite when i was a kid) recently in which he spouted a lot of class war bollocks seeming to think that brave woprking class boys were wiped out while cowering toffs hid or acted brutally. The aristocracy saw a whole generation of there children wiped out as badly as any other social group in britain.
 I don't see this agenda as brave or radical I see it as permanently hitting soft targets, and this annoys me as much as the "casual racism" obviously upsets other posters.  

Generally Contrary

---------------------
The 'Chinky takeaways' are "casual racial insensitivity" - a bit of gentle comic mocking.
The anti-Christian stance of much of the more recent Sl?ine was a frontal assult!
---------------------

Ah, but Christianity is a set of beliefs, an outlook on the world that (should) govern your actions.  In many cases it also implies membership of an organisation.

In this respect religious denigration/descrimination etc is more 'acceptable' than the equivalent based on race.  A persons race does not change, nor does it necessarily shape his core beliefs, how he treats others or what he thinks politically.

We would have no problem with a story that takes a very anti-Nazi line.  This is not to say that Christianity is in any way like the Nazi Party, but rather that outright assualts on belief systems are justified in some cases.  And if we consider the behaviour of many early churches we may find justification.

Andy B.

malkymac

I think that was a reference to Finn MacCuil (McCool) that legendary Irish warrior of the 'Fianna' fame.