Main Menu

What would make a good story

Started by Pagangirl, 19 August, 2002, 12:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pagangirl

Ok, you all know what I think would be a good strip, now I'm asking what do you think would make a good strip?  There are no limitis bar one, no past or present strip characters to be used.  Use a current universe, but none of the characters, think of what your ideal brand new original character/strip/scenario.  Share your thoughts with the board, you never know it might inspire some writer out there...

DavidXBrunt

Ring of Bright Water, but set in Dredd universe. With a Robot Space Otter.

O Lucky Stevie!

brother buttocks: scion of termight.

with kev o'neill art, natch.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

JimBob

M.A.C.H Shako, a polar bear is hideously injured in a Zoo plane crash, now the reconstructed cyborg bear must fight ANGEL-Hookjaw a flying shark with a Fighter computer grafted to it's fin.
This gritty noir is set in 1970's Birmingham.

Devons Daddy

chef returns from the far eastern part of the universe and wages a one man rescue mission for great british food, meets a young lady of the name of samantha slade who works part time as a waitress,service personal perhaps would be a better description, she helps him destroy rouge robo chefs who are damaging brit cits fine eating traditions,
she has a secret recipes for pies from her father, but has never really captured the taste he always talked off.the local pork just does not have the right texture,
they set off on there mission to recapture the finest tradtions of english food, and search for the rouge food and beverage director who has sent all the great chefs to there culinary doom in the pau per view tv massacre,in an attempt to force the increased leisure citizens to eat beef burgers and golden corn, huge marketing campaigns are waged,
any one else like to take the next chapter from here? a few more characters may add texture,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Smiley

While brainstorming for new stories, I had a fab idea for a whole new comic! How about using the old 'Action' method of taking whatever formula's popular on TV, and turning it into good strips? But using todays self-referential TV as a model!

"Fakeover"
A strip made by fans is published. It's a half-decent effort. Then flamboyant celebrity comics professionals with massive ego's are invited to rehash the episodes as they see fit, the results get printed in the following weeks and are put to the readers vote.

"Shit Idle"
Photo story. A panel of comic's pro's, (bitter and resentful at having lost touch with 'da kids') resort to poking fun at comic's wannabes, during a pitch fest. The winner gets a 1 month guest spot doing Marvel Comics most formualic title (just to stifle any creative impulse and not rock any boats, you understand).

"Drokk-u-Soap"
A great comic strip. But presented inside another comic strip, which depicts someone else reading it. You can only see tantalising glimpses over the reader's shoulder and have to rely on their comments for information.

"The Weakest Survivor"
Readers subscribe to (and endure) a comic packed with awful strips every week, in the hope of a fantastic groundbreaking issue. Which will only appear when one subscription order remains.

"Big Bother"
Readers get to vote out one of the above idiotic strips each week, until only this one remains and the comic get's cancelled.

...and fill the other pages with ad's for ringtones, debt recovery, damages claims and stairlifts! It'd sell a flippin' million!

Erm.. okay. Maybe not :)

Pagangirl

You try and be serious for once and look what happens...  Oh well, Tharg's as gay as Dredd!  Might as well go back to attention seeking...

DavidXBrunt

No, I'm serious. I want a Robot Space Otter story.

malkymac

I suggested a while before that it might be worth exploring the civil war between Texas City and MC1 (hinted at a long time ago with a clasic McMahon cover). I thought telling it from the Texas view might give it some interest y'all.

The idea of the Northern Boys maybe whuppin some Texas boys at Bull Run 3 could be interestin. Whaty'allboysnow thank?

Smiley

Still working on ideas. I said "While brainstorming for new stories", didn't I? I'm with you on this. Gimme a break, etc :)

And as for expecting the thread to remain serious, or even on-topic, everyone gives up on that ideal eventually. I'm still wondering how my suggestion for a female Robo-Hunter turned into a debate on monkeys...

Tharg is not gay. But, now you mention it, that Starlord fellah looked a bit festive. ;)

Buddy

Starlord... What about Big E!!!

As for stories I think one about Faries leaving tins of beer at the bottom of you garden really has potential.

To give it a sci-fi feel they could be Space Faries or Robo Faries, whatever....

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

Buddy

Starlord... What about Big E!!!

As for stories I think one about Fairies leaving tins of beer at the bottom of you garden really has potential.

To give it a sci-fi feel they could be Space Fairies or Robo Fairies, whatever....

Link: http://www.ximoc.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.ximoc.co.uk

Slippery PD

well there was the thread where we all thought that a crime investigation in the big meg,written as a day in the life of.  With the med judge street judge, etc.  And a different artist on each episode.  I for one think lets go withthat.  

seriously isnt it time for a gay, space otter???

Smiley

How about a kinda retro strip set in an alternate 1974, where all the fears and sci-fi ideas of the early 70's exist as a reality? The population explosion has happened, the oil's run out, pollution is rife, brutal future sports, a zombie underclass, etc, etc. But load it all up with frilly shirts and flares, yellow wallpaper and Ford Cortina's. Have Sweeney style coppers doing unlikely things like arresting a brain-in-a-tank, gangs of glam-rock thugs, a mysterious time-traveller warning of an invasion of naff looking monsters, a gang of telepathic kids on Chopper bikes foiling the evil plans of a recently thawed Edwardian scientist. Have a coming apocalypse predicted for 1977. Stuff like that. Keep all the pre-PC attitudes but turn them upside down to fit 21st century sensibilities, and have the strip drawn by Mike White and scripted by Peter Milligan.

It could work :)

Devons Daddy

if you are serious then pagan girl, check out the scripts sent in and posted on this site, paul von scott, has a good way, his natrual born vicitms, was a great read, and very good several others also of note as well.
check them out they are seroius and some thumping good reads. for pvs is the best though.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!