Main Menu

Holy Cow ! Men In Tight Turn Out To Be Gay

Started by Marbles, 19 August, 2002, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smiley

Blackblood: Your memory is corretc. Zenith's agent, Eddie McPhail, was as gay as a window.

Tiplodocus

These are GeneraL Replies made at a random point on the thread so don't take offence; I'm not picking on whoever the reply is posted against (unless you deserve it).

Isn't it funny the way that people seem to think it's OK to insert what could be casually offensive "witticisms" into this thread.  Maybe nobody read the thread about "casual" racism the other day?

We should have no objection to having any sexual orientation thrown into the 2000AD mix (with age limits) much as we should have no objection to different races.  

Equally, we should all be most vociferous when people cause casual offence.  Remember the "kick racism off the terraces" campaign; they should have done that with "Homophobia" too.  

There are a lot more things that define a person than their sexuality.  I bet a lot of people get tired of being introduced as their job title; "Here's Johnny and he's a computer programmer".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

O Lucky Stevie!

Calibre, i SERIOUSLY believe that you should get out more...;P

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

O Lucky Stevie!

>Blackblood: Your memory is corretc. Zenith's agent, Eddie McPhail, was as gay as a window.

let's not forget meta-maid, lads...

(although this is introducing yet another gender orientation to the equation...)

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tu-plang

-Dredd is not gay, he's just a tough bastard.  Really tough.

-The Sexual Investigators in Preacher were really funny - "Fookin 'ell; It's buggerin time!"

-Those casually offensive witicisms throughout the thread are bloody hilarious.  "Der Sternhammer Silencer!"  "The biscuit game" and "as gay as a window" all nearly made me fall off my chair.

almighty mat

I've got to say, I always thought one of the best things about 2000ad was the sense of ironic/irreverent humour to be found within it's pages, as opposed to the po-faced PC attitude of most yanks (apologies to anyone who's offended by the word Yanks, but y'know, get a life).
 While I've got no time at all for racists, homophobes or other small-minded fools with similar prejeudices, I'm also capable of telling the difference beteween humour and bigotry. Although I don't have many gay friends, those that I do have are perfectly capable of joking about their sexuality, just as the short friends of mine can joke about their height, etc.
 There's no point at all in being PC for PC's sake, ask yourelf if anyone who SHOULD be offended WOULD be offended first.

mat

Wils

I personally think that a lot of these problems of potentially upsetting people of differring colours and sexualities comes from them being made out to be special cases and different from 'the rest of us'. This comes about from rampant bigotry, over-the-top governmental laws and schemes that actually segregate these people even further instead of helping them and the minority of those that 'play the card'.
Every race, colour, religion and sexual orientation *should* be on a completely equal footing with each other, but when, for instance, a company is made to employ a certain number of ethnic minorities regardless of personal merit, or if a gay person starts shouting that he's offended that we'd suggest he has sex with other men, I can understand why some people get annoyed with this.
What I think I'm trying to say is that it's not because someone is gay, black or whatever that they become or *seem* to become a target. It's because one way or another, they've been put on a socio-political pedestal and some people just want to knock them back down to the same level as the rest of us. Sadly, though, there will always be racist/homophobic/mysoginistic bigots who'll alway think of them as a target.

Wils

Tu-plang

That about sums it up really.

It's no longer about stopping racists/sexists/bigots.  It's about PC-ness.  If I called a guy a dickhead he'd get over it.  If I called a gay black guy a dickhead, he's got grounds to sue and call me a bigot for my racist and personal verbal assualt.  As Wils said, they've been labelled as 'special cases' with different rules and we have to be extra careful not to offend them because they have no sense of humour and are unable to judge between satire and slander.  When a company such as DC for example puts gay characters into a comic for the sake of "equality", it pigeonholes people and seperates them further.

Smiley

I didn't see sexuality as being the thing in that article that sparked off this thread. It was more the cheap shot by DC at image building (i.e. hey, we just got some gay comics characters, aren't we clever and enlightened) which is wrong for plenty of reasons. The biggest gripe being that such characters have been around for ages. And that some journalist was desperate enough to follow it in a shoddy manner.

Besides, sexual preferences aren't the issue anyway. It's the subsequent politicising of sexuality. All sorts of half-formed opinions start when that happens, and become mired in political correctness.

One such culprit: Peter Tatchell - a notoriously patronising self-publicist who will happily jump on any gay bandwagon just because he happens to swing that way. He's a twerp that most gays can't stand. Not because they're bitchy queens, but because he's a politician. Some social minorities will remain outside due to the faults of dubious self-appointed spokesmen.

And just to be pedantic, "gay as a window" is an absurdism of an insult, not an insult in itself, like that other Chris Morris gem "mad as a lorry".

Anyway, I didn't see any English message-boarders in uproar over recent references to "Softenglishpuffland". Why? Because 2000AD readers are usually a good humoured bunch, and smart enough to take a joke.

Ah, forget it. Like macho Dirty Harry once said "Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one".

Here's a picture of John Inman. Take it how you like.http://www.johninman.co.uk/images/head.gif">

Oddboy

I reccomend everyone watches the South Park episode "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime".
Perfectly captures the points needed to be made about "PC".
(Cartman chucks a rock at the black kid because he called Cartman fat, the FBI arrest Cartman for Hate Crime.  The kids' protest to the governor by doing a talk on "Hate Crime Laws: A Savage Hypocracy".  Funny but very true stuff.
Better set your phaser to stun.

John Caliber

'Caliber, i SERIOUSLY believe that you should get out more...;P'

I'd agree with you if I weren't chronically ill :(

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Trout

I agree tokenism should not enter into opinions or creativity.

To demonstrate, I would like to express the fact John Inman's sexuality does not in any way affect my absolute loathing of the annoying little one-joke creep.

Let's see how "free" he'd feel after Dredd arrested him for bad panto.

- Trout

John Caliber

I wonder how PC supporters in this thread feel about Garth Ennis's excellent PREACHER? There's no end of characters caling each other queer in jest and in insult. Would you say this is acceptable? Should PREACHER be banned?

Bollocks. Tolerance is not about censoring what we have to say about one another - it's about letting us have free speech and tolerating it, agrreing to disagree. I'm not homophobe (as one of two threaders would try to make me out), but why can't I crack gay jokes and why can't gays crack hetero jokes? Only the insecure have anything to fear.

BTW, The Judge Dredd Steet Sim will be featuring at least one homosexual judge - I apologise, grovelling on my knees, if that offends anybody :)

- TCC

Link: http://www.jdrpg.com/jdss" target="_blank">THE JUDGE DREDD STREET SIM

Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Oddboy

It presumably offends their sector house chief, as all romantic relationships are not allowed amongst the Judges.  For a judge to admit to being gay shows that he's thinking about relationships too much & not enough about bringing perps to justice.  Give 'em 10 minutes in the cold-shower-machine & pack 'em back on the streets.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Generally Contrary

------------
If I called a guy a dickhead he'd get over it. If I called a gay black guy a dickhead, he's got grounds to sue and call me a bigot for my racist and personal verbal assualt.
------------

Perhaps.  But you wouldn't be unless you called him a dickhead *because* he was black.  And this is why many gay jokes are offensive, as they are made *because* the person is gay.  For example Caliber's comment about kicking arses than stickinf dicks up them *was* the equivalent of some joke involving bongo drums and Africa when talking about black superheroes.  As I'm not Bernard Manning I can't quote one just now.  I'm sure no offence was meant, but the comment betrays a mindset that sets gays as the 'other'.

Andy B.