Main Menu

MCM Comic Con

Started by Sinx, 30 October, 2018, 03:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinx

I went on the Saturday. Did anyone else go?

I think to call this a comic convention is a bit of a stretch - I think the comic alley covered about a quarter of the available space at most, the rest is for toys, movies and games. The comic panelist enclosure, ironically, was the only one without a schedule outside so it was hard know what was on which was a shame or I would have watched all of Dylan Teague's demonstration not just the end 15 mins when I was looking for somewhere desperate to sit down for a bit. No real presence by any of the large comic publishers although Marvel had a non comic stand in the movie section.
Wandered around artist alley, Jim Cheung asked me to take a picture of him and his parents while I was leafing through his originals at his table. At the time I was just curious to see if some one would commission a full body blank cover sketch at £1000! Cool bloke though - had a chat to him and he was nice enough listen to my story about the 2000AD art comp at Thought Bubble and take a look at the two pages I had access to. I must remember to take my portfolios along to these things as Zenescope were accepting submissions.
Finally, as part of my sitting down strategy attended a panel with an art agent from Ireland, a lady from Zenescope and someone else important who never turned up about the state of comics today. The discussion centered around comicsgates and not mentioning names in order to avoid giving them any more publicity (I have no idea I don't use Twitter), the fact that most comic readers seem to be in their forties  :lol:, are we in a comic bubble that will pop at any second and do we just enjoy the ride until it pops? and price. Let's be honest ... I think it's all about paying £3.50 for an issue of Batman and is this sustainable and does it encourage new readership.
Didn't really pick up anything comic related apart from a free Van Helsing comic from Zenescope which was actually pretty good

So there you go.

Proudhuff

I think the GRennie droid about summed these places up in a recent Survival Geeks story  ;)

meantime: comicsgate? 
DDT did a job on me

CalHab

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 October, 2018, 04:02:35 PM

Briefly, it's lots of American men angry about the fact that many of the best comics these days are created by women or feature characters with a different skin colour from them.

Your life is richer for not knowing about it.

robert_ellis

I didn't realise the scale of MCM - it's the whole of ExCel. It's huge. I've never paid for autographs before, only for sketches, and felt odd parting with cash even for Chris Claremont. I'm really only used to Lawless, NICE & Leam Con - tiny cons where you almost have to pace yourself! This was certainly disorienting - the variety of the culture on show. Even with this scale ther's still time for the smaller moments with creators. There was a lovely signing with Amanda Conner & Jimmy Paliotti, who were very charming and happy to chat about working with Garth Ennnis & Steve Dillon.
I can see why calling this a comic con is misleading to some, it's Geek Culture - Cosplay, Anime, Film, TV, K-Pop, Computer Games etc - all in the mix. I love comics but I'm glad to see the wider culture - Rick & Morty, Doctor Who, Nintendo and all. I was only there Sunday when i think it was quieter. I'd go again, and maybe do more homework about what's on. I wish Rebellion were represented.
There was certainly plenty to see - everything from Bernard Cribbins to Frank Miller.

rogue69

the ironic thing about  MCM is that it is a good place for small press as the majority of their comics village being made up by them along with the usual faces like Frazer Irvine, Gary Erskine & Lee Townsend. Best so far for big names though, with Brian Azzarello, Frank Quitley, Jimmy Palmiotti & John Romtia JR. in attendance especially with John Romita doing quick sketches for only £10 & the money going to charity

matty_ae

This was the Batman Dark Knight Panel - Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, Brian Azzarello, John Romita, Andy Kubert  Frank Quietly, Jimmy Palmiotti.

I also went to Art of the Cover Panel with Amanda Connor, Jim Cheung & Frank Cho

So in one day (Sunday)  I got to see pretty much the DC premier league.
Worked for me.

It's really a Geek convention but to be fair ComicCon has become the accepted generic name.

(Just to be clear although it looks like Frank Miller was about to perform Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal, this wasn't the case)

Dandontdare

I went to one of the MCM shows in Manchester a few years ago - a much smaller venue than the Excel, but I think they still tried to sell as many tickets as it was horribly overcrowded and queues to get in were huge. You couldn't browse comfortably or stop to chat, just shuffle grimly along in the press of bodies.  I don't think I'd go back, it was all very commercial with stars* refusing to sign anything other than the £20 headshots on sale, and very little actual comics stuff going on. Dozens of cosplayers, but 90% of them were manga-themed and I didn't have a clue (I think I only identified 3 cosplayers all day, and two of those were spiderman!)

* I say "stars" but I'm buggered if I'm queuing up to get a selfie with some kid who had three lines in a Harry Potter, or some bloke who was in a rubber suit on Dr Who once.

Proudhuff

Quote from: CalHab on 30 October, 2018, 04:25:58 PM

Briefly, it's lots of American men angry about the fact that many of the best comics these days are created by women or feature characters with a different skin colour from them.

Thank you and indeed it is  :D
DDT did a job on me

matty_ae

Quote from: Dandontdare on 31 October, 2018, 11:08:40 AM
I went to one of the MCM shows in Manchester a few years ago - a much smaller venue than the Excel, but I think they still tried to sell as many tickets as it was horribly overcrowded and queues to get in were huge.

Quite

I think they have taken this on-board and put effort into putting on a dedicated top drawer Comic Creator experience certainly this year in London.

To put it in context I believe the 2000AD 40th bash had 1000 tickets, MCM had over 130,000 in attendance. 

Proudhuff

or you could go to wee Comic Cons and mix with legends!
DDT did a job on me

matty_ae

Definitely I'm a fan of cons of all sizes.

Love the Lawgivers, early years of BICs, UKCACs, Bristol etc.

But I do respect the big ones when they manage to pull off big appearances.
And whilst its traditional to bash MCM doesn't mean you should take you hat off to them when they get it right.

sheridan

Are we untouched by this in the UK, or should I be worried about the people (including punters) who attend British conventions?

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheridan on 01 November, 2018, 12:39:22 PM

Are we untouched by this in the UK, or should I be worried about the people (including punters) who attend British conventions?

Click on the link at the bottom of FRANK's posts  :o
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

not the same, but UK Cons aren't without their conflagrations!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 October, 2018, 05:28:21 PM

or you could go to wee Comic Cons and mix with legends!

Ahh, my first ever con - I think it spoiled me a bit. I assumed that after all cons, the punters and creators all go to the pub and for a chinese together (I remember Richmond booking a table for 80 that evening!)!