Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Arena, a 1989 b-movie about space boxing.  Unsurprisingly, it's dreadful, but entertaining enough if you let it be.  The biggest names are probably Babylon 5's Claudia CHristian, or DS9's Mark Alaimo and Armin Shimmerman.  I have literally never heard of the lead actor in this and it's not hard to see why, but it's written by the guys who made the Flash tv series, so there's lots of getting on with things rather than wallowing in angst or camp.  It's basically just a tv movie of the week that just happens to be about space boxing.
Daft, but passes the time pleasantly enough.

DeFuzzed

The Eagle, 2011.

Scoffed at the thought of this when it came out - I mean, Channing Tatum? So never went to see it. Glad I didn't because it wasn't worth going to the cinema for, but it's an interesting enough movie. Lots wrong or annoying or both in it, but still, good fun to watch. And it turns out Tatum ain't that bad an actor - this is the first time I've seen past that thick neck and disturbing blankness in his eyes. I heard he's good in 21 Jump Street too, so going by his turn in the Eagle, I might actually believe those opinions and give that movie a looksee too.

Back to the Eagle, think buddy cop bromance thing rather than Roman Empire historical epic, throw in some savage natives, huge lashings of emotional manipulation and manpain. Have fun.

SmallBlueThing

JAWS 2

When i was a kid, i had the Jaws 2 log, which for those not of certain age, was a paperback sized 'making of'. It promised, if i remember correctly, a number of illicit thrills including bikini-clad teenagers, tits, and gore.

I dont think i'd ever actually seen the movie until tonight- and my good grud almighty it's absolute bollocks. Just... awful, in every way.

Paper-thin, with absolutely no shocks or jump scenes, it seems to believe that just showing the shark is enough to send the audience into fits of terror. It's not. There's no suspense, no characterisation of it's friday the thirteenth-style gawky teenage cast and nothing lingers in the memory beyond the shark 'eating' a helicopter and the silly 'scarred' shark itself. Quite why it was designed like that, i dont know- they couldnt possibly be insinuating it's the reanimated zombie of the first one, could they? Surely not. And yet, maybe they are, and that's why the film itself is a lifeless corpse of (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) a copy of the first one.

Granny (still with us) provided the most entertainment, by claiming to be cold and putting both a jumper and her coat on, despite it being 27 degrees in my lounge with the window open. She then moaned long and loud about my eldest- laying on his giant blue ballbag (edite: beanbag, but im leaving that in because my phone makes me laugh sometimes) in just his underpants in front of the fan- claiming he'd 'catch a cold and get sick'. Then coughing all over him.

My wife paused it halfway through to make refreshments and i contemplated a getaway to the pub. It wasnt to be.

The main problem was the time wasted on scenes nowhere near the water. When your antagonist is a shark, there is little pertinent drama in bars and courtrooms. When it finally does go to the ocean it's shot with all the style and finesse of a roger moore bond movie- none at all. 

One good point: lorraine gary continues to be the sexiest woman ive seen in a movie for aaaages. Hubba.

SBT

GordyM

Ink: a modern day dark fairytale-esque fantasy film done with the style of Terry Gilliam on a budget after having watched Dark City. A bloated description, I know, but it's hard to truly sum up this unique and fantastic film. A must-see as far as I'm concerned. Really wish it was better known.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

P-BOT/1138

Watchers
freaked me out when i was a kid. now its just a bit pants. there is a really good film in there.  but you kinda have to squint to see it, though. :|

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 July, 2012, 10:10:00 PM
JAWS 2

When i was a kid, i had the Jaws 2 log, which for those not of certain age, was a paperback sized 'making of'. It promised, if i remember correctly, a number of illicit thrills including bikini-clad teenagers, tits, and gore.

I dont think i'd ever actually seen the movie until tonight- and my good grud almighty it's absolute bollocks. Just... awful, in every way.

Jaws 2 is one of those films, like the sequel to the French Connection, that when you havent seen them for a good number of years, you get to thinking 'oh - their pretty good - ill have to watch them again', and then its 'Oh dear - whats this shit!'

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Judge Jack on 26 July, 2012, 05:07:05 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 25 July, 2012, 10:10:00 PM
JAWS 2

Jaws 3D, on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant, albeit only if you saw it in 3D. 
Jaws 2 is one of those films, like the sequel to the French Connection, that when you havent seen them for a good number of years, you get to thinking 'oh - their pretty good - ill have to watch them again', and then its 'Oh dear - whats this shit!'

Professor Bear

For some reason I now have a hankering to watch Jaws: The Revenge.

judgeblake

watched Repo Men last night after 3 episodes of Fringe season 2 lol

I thought Repo Men (which is one of those movies that owe a great debt to Judge Dredd!) was a great movie until the bloody end [spoiler]where they did the cliched Brazil type thing of showing that half of the film was actually an induced dream and that the equilibrium happy resolve never happened really.[/spoiler] Plus it was a performance by Jude Law I actually liked!!! - besides his stints as faithful wooden colleague Watson in the Sherlock Holmes films. I think the fact he's losing his hair is effecting his acting ability lol mind you....he'll probably get plugs and go back to the same old dulled wooden acting we're used to from Law (i.e. most parts he's played, defined by his remake of Alfie) lol

Pete Wells

Me and Missus Pete watched Children of Men last night and we both hated it. What's wrong with us?

TordelBack

Accepting that you have a problem is the first step. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Pete Wells on 29 July, 2012, 05:04:36 PM
Me and Missus Pete watched Children of Men last night and we both hated it. What's wrong with us?

You have children.

judgeblake

Children of Men is one of those films I always watch when I find it on the box, and I could rewatch it again and again....though I'm not entirely sure why lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1IoWXR1QwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgrwNP_gYE&feature=related

Professor Bear

Snow Beast, which I erroneously assumed was a remake of the 1977 schlock telemovie classic of the almost identical name, starring John "What's a Memory Like You (Doing in a Love Like This)" Schneider - whose career of playing overbearingly sanctimonious Christian fatherly types who are always right is utterly fascinating to me for reasons I have yet to fathom -  and some cast of nobodies.
There is something barmily entertaining about the monster in this, and the way he lurks behind a tree or a mound of snow waiting until someone looks the other way and then pokes his head out like he's being Batman or something despite clearly drooling blood and going "rarg" from off-camera all the time to the point that eventually I was subconsciously doing the Jaws music when he was "lurking" - he's just great - but this is a poor film.  Incompetently made and shot so you can actually see the joins in the polystyrene in the "ice cave lair", I'm not really spoiling anything in pointing out that the humans win, but in the final moments something goes "rarg" because their method of killing the snow beast that has survived millions of years in the coldest mountains on Earth is to try burying it in snow and then not check if he's still there, even when everyone says the humans must be crazy and imagined it or be lying but let's not make any legal case of the people they were with who are now missing, let's just say the humans are being silly and leave it at that so they can joke about their dead mates in the final reel.
It makes no attempt to make sense or be a functional script, it's just a big pile of tosh that would be unwatchable if not for the incompetence in filming the monster to the point he is in no way scary at all.  He is less scary than Harry from Bigfoot and the Hendersons, and all his extra fur just makes me wish I had a plushie of him because he is adorable, like a big cuddly St Bernard with a pug face.  I would watch a sequel to see what he gets up to, but I'd hope they ditched the horror angle and had him be in a spring break frathouse comedy of some sort where nerds get him drunk and parade him around a parTAY dressed in a beer hat to try and get themselves laid.  It would be the point human civilisation peaks and it's all downhill from there, but I would be willing to take that risk.