Main Menu

Is this thing on?

Started by Echidna, 30 October, 2014, 10:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echidna

Hello world!

The short version: I came to 2000 AD relatively late in life but I'm enjoying catching up. I've been reading since Prog 2014, I'm slowly making my way through my eBay-bought collection (Prog 250-1400!) and lately I've been seriously considering subscribing.

The long version: Despite being a British comics reader I haven't read a lot of British comics. I picked up a few progs and megs in my late teens (around 2000) but somehow it didn't stick and I gravitated towards Vertigo, manga, and (more recently) indie comics by Dan Clowes, Chris Ware etc.

Anyway, a friend of mine is a former 2000 AD reader with particularly fond memories of ABC Warriors and for his birthday last year I decided to get him some old progs to replace the collection his dad threw out when he left home (Judas!). Figuring out which issues to buy him involved subtle questioning and extensive internet research. While scouring Barney, Dredd Reckoning and Paul Rainey's Prog Slog, I caught the bug - there's something very compelling about 37 years of continuity to immerse yourself in - and found myself buying not only progs 750-759 and 780-791 (Khronicles of Khaos, Button Man) for my pal* but progs 650-700 (The Horned God II, Song of the Surfer, The Dead Man, Necropolis) for myself.

Since then I've expanded my collection to progs 250-1400 and the first 40 or so Megazines, thanks to some some lucky eBay bargains (I managed to win progs 250-500 for £17.50, and that included £12.50 p&p - feel free to hate me). I started buying the prog from my local comic store with Prog 2014, the Megazine from Meg 350, and I'll probably get myself a combi subscription before Tharg puts the price up.

*He was very happy to see his old favourites again, but I haven't managed to get him into the new stuff. I'm giving him America and Origins this year; if that doesn't convince him, nothing will...

Frank

Quote from: Echidna on 30 October, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
While scouring Barney, Dredd Reckoning and Paul Rainey's Prog Slog, I caught the bug - there's something very compelling about 37 years of continuity to immerse yourself in - and found myself buying not only progs 750-759 and 780-791 (Khronicles of Khaos, Button Man) for my pal* but progs 650-700 (The Horned God II, Song of the Surfer, The Dead Man, Necropolis) for myself.

Great place to start reading (part of my personal golden era), and good choice of reference material too. Welcome aboard the Black Freighter.

Echidna

Thanks! Yeah, there's some amazing stuff in there. The Dead Man was pretty comprehensively spoiled by my online research, but reading about that arc was probably what convinced me to buy them, so I can't complain  ::) 

ZenArcade

Echidna (Greek she viper or spiny anteater) which? Anyhow welcome on board. The period around Necropolis was the end of a great period for 2000ad. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Jacqusie

Hello there, you have soooo many good times ahead on catching up, there will be the odd blip you might notice, but have fun anyhoo.

As for the question if you should subscribe, the answer has to be a resounding YES as you can read 2000AD at several different times/epochs and not let it spoil the enjoyment, in my opinion it even enhances it!

Happy progging!

:)

Fungus

Welcome Echidna. I don't know about subscribing as such, but get the weekly prog habit in whatever way suits  :)  Just get the prog (and Meg). As good now as it's ever been.

Echidna

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: ZenArcade on 30 October, 2014, 11:22:47 PM
Echidna (Greek she viper or spiny anteater) which?

The anteater!

Colin YNWA

Great to have you on board, enjoy catching up and have fun.

Echidna

Oh man, how exciting is this:

Two Year Combi 2000 AD Subscription
Subscriber Number:
Price:
£330.00
Months Remaining:
Auto Renew:
Active
Renewal Date:
2nd September, 2016

Issue Entitlement