Main Menu

NOVEMBER ART COMP - RESULTS THREAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 December, 2014, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

THIRD PLACE - DOOMBOT

SECOND PLACE - JAMES DILWORTH

FIRST PLACE - NEIL McCLEMENTS

Everything bar the top position was in complete flux up until the last vote - Mr Neil had it in the bag from the start with his stunning Mutant picture.

Thanks everyone for a fantastic final month for 2014! Remember you can find out about those behind the pictures and more over on the comp Facebook page --> https://www.facebook.com/2000adartcomp we'll be back in January but do please DO keep yer eyes on the advent calendar for more 2000 AD forum creative outpourings!!

THARG'S CHOICE goes to Colin YNWA's Old One Eye....

Our DROID'S CHOICE was decided this month by current Titan Whoartist, Nikolai Dante legend and lord of all MacKenzies Mr SIMON FRASER:

QuoteAllistermac - Mongrol Mourns  : Lovely rendering and the drawing is solid. He's had to flatten Mongrol's torso to get his feet in though. You can probably barely see Mongrols feet from that angle. He has that weird little barrel chest which would occlude his even smaller legs.

Colin YNWA - Old One Eye :  I like the idea, but while he got the arms right , that's an Allosaurus skull at best. Not a T-rex. The texturing is a bit overdone too. Used judiciously that can help give scale. In this case it's flattening things.

DoomBot - Mongrol's Lara : I would like this one more if the rose wasn't photoshopped in.

James Dilworth - Morrigun  : I got a flashback to the 90s looking at this. It's obviously an impressive piece of work. It's very flattened though because the artist isn't using lighting per-se, he's doing a number of shading tricks which ignore the atmosphere and the environment. It would be a more powerful piece if he chose a light source and stuck with it. Instead of shading every chunk individually irrespective of the others.

james newell - Woofie : I like the confidence of this drawing. You can often tell all you need to know about an artist from a quick sketch.

Neil McClements - The Mutant :  Beautifully drawn and rendered. I can't fault this, it works.

pictsy - Rex Ferris :  The Tyrannosaur is in a good posture. I'm not sure that she's pulled off the foreshortening, that's very difficult, even for a Pro. Lighting is your friend in cases like this. I like the confidence of the drawing and the way that colour is used.

Woolly - The Dead of Dredd:   All the characters are captured very well here. It tells a story.

If I'm forced to pick winners then I'd go
1- Neil McClements

2-Pictsy

3-Woolly

Honourable Mention- James Dilworth

Fungus

Worthy winner as usual, that Neil just seems to get the details right and that makes his images ring true...

Well done all others who put up some classy entries - and CFM as ever.

pictsy

Congrats to Neil and Colin, well deserved winners.  Also to James and Doombot for their respective 2nd and 3rd place.

Big congrats and thanks to CFM for another amazingly successful Art Comp and a great year of artistic jollity on the forums.

Great to get an overall positive feedback from an artist whose work I admire greatly.

See you all over on the advent calender thread hope I think of something to do before my day comes up *gulp* and back for more competition joy in the new year.

Colin YNWA

Well done to Neil and everyone that placed from the vote and all who took part.

That Tharg gave me his nod shows that the cold-hearted Mighty One has a soft spot for a cack handed trier! As Simon Fraser's look at what I tried gets closer to what I reckon and that's without ripping into the rushed as table and background! Heck an Allosaurus has always been my fav Dino so its hardly a surprise.

As ever my humble groveling thanks to CFM for bring the comp back from the dead.

James Dilworth

90's flashback.  Yeah I kinda like that.

Congrats to Neil.  Very creepy image, very awesome.

DoomBot

Congratulations to the winners, all well deserved.

And thanks to CFM for doing such a fine job running the competition through 2014

Neil McClements

Super! Thanks for all those that voted (not just for me) and all the kind words about The Mutant. Cheers to Owen once more and and to Simon Fraser for the lovely comment on it.

Owen will get why I'm saying this but I want to say I'm not a pro and only do any of this in my spare time between work and family.

Also if anybody is interested see the process here - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=821049764623072&set=a.432139120180807.101433.100001541687307&type=1&pnref=story

Darren Stephens

Great comments there from Simon. Whattaguy! Congrats to all the winners, lovely work all.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dog Deever

Well done to the worthy winners, and big thanks to Owen for running it.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Echidna

Bravo to CFM, the winners and all who entered, and thanks to Mr Fraser for his insightful comments - doubtless very useful to all the practicing and aspiring artists here, and fascinating to a failed artist like me!

Steven Austin

Well done all - positives all round.

Neil....in the bag. :)

james newell

well done Neil, class entry!

Thanks to Tharg & Simon Fraser for their detailed input this month.
j

Third Estate Ned

Well done to all the winners for their amazing artwork and effort and thanks again to CFM for running the comp.

Also, I just wanted to say that even the most general statements of encouragement from other forum members, addressed to all the entrants as the competition goes on, go a long way to make this worthwhile for me. Thanks to all involved.

Stu101

Yeah I second that ^

Just wanted to thank CFM for organising the comps this year. It's got me drawing again which is good.

Congrats to the winners, sterling work as ever!

maryanddavid

Great stuff all, just sorry I missed the voting.