Main Menu

Prog 1911 -There was a crooked man...

Started by IronGraham, 06 December, 2014, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echidna

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 December, 2014, 04:48:18 PM
Originally an educated guess, what convinced me I was right was a mention of [spoiler]Stickleback's 'penchant for watery deaths' when he was resurrected by Doyle at the start of the last book. Never even occured to me that he could have been the other of the two chaps to go over the Falls at Reichenbach... [/spoiler]  :lol: Very sneaky, Edginton!

Interesting... So is the whole of Stickleback set during the Great Hiatus? And are we sure he's telling the truth at the end? [spoiler]Claiming to be Holmes[/spoiler] would be a very [spoiler]Moriarty[/spoiler] thing to do...

Spoiler tags are fun, they make it look like everybody's [spoiler]constantly[/spoiler] swearing

Steve Green

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 December, 2014, 07:39:34 PM
Well aside from the normal whines about the Prog not feeling like the Prog when it only has three stories not much to whine about here.

Thought the  was a bit of a stonker, in the best tradition of the strip, loved it.

It was also interesting that the two finale were so clearly far from that, both being bridges to whats to come and ending on something to suck you along to the next part. I've never been Sticklebacks biggest fan, nor do I really know much beyond the generally known about so the reveal shouldn't have had much of an impact, but I enjoyed the episode and enjoyed the reveal for what it was, good fun.

Greysuit has ebbed and flowed a little this series but over all I've enjoyed it. This double lenght episode didn't really add anything to what we know but still was rollocking good fun and that ending was tantilising so all good.

Nice wrapping up Tharg so lets see what your X-mas present brings...

... oh and that tease in Nerve Centre is that something that I should know about? The moment the Prog drops into our hands, I take it that refers to Wednesday... are we expecting an annoucement on Wednesday?

What does the tease say? (No subs copy for me yet)

Timothy

ZenArcade

Now there's an idea....where's Eamonn? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Colin YNWA

Its as straight forward as

QuoteJust to make sure that you Squaxx have a doubly ghafflebette Christmas keep your optical sensors open for an annoucement that should be going live the moment that this prog drops into your hands!

ZenArcade

Maybe something nice like a sequel....I wish. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Steve Green

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 December, 2014, 11:00:21 AM

QuoteJust to make sure that you Squaxx have a doubly ghafflebette Christmas keep your optical sensors open for an annoucement that should be going live the moment that this prog drops into your hands!

Hmmm, no idea...

Newsletters go out on the Wednesday but apart from that... Maybe some merchandise?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dredd 2!

Or maybe a 3A announcement.

Dredd 2 is more likely...
Lock up your spoons!

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 08 December, 2014, 07:40:39 AM

Dredd 2!

Or maybe a 3A announcement.

Dredd 2 is more likely...

I bet it's the long awaited follow up single to Mutants in Mega City One by The Fink Brothers!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Steve Green

Pete Wells has been signed to a record label.

Dark Jimbo

Great cover. Says all that needs to be said.

Now that's more like it, Worley! I prefered this week's Dredd effort to last week's by some way - a nice straightforward Mega-City tale of luckless crims, insane cits and stubborn robots. Drawn by Carlos or Ron, you could have run this in the glory years of the '80s with nary a raised eyebrow. Great ending, too!

Speaking for myself, I think Pat made better points about Imperialism, racism and war-profiteering back when he was having to mask it all as a story about a green alien, his seven war-robot mates and a pointy-headed Spanish Inquisition throwback. It was more engaging, more fun, more funny, more subtle and more satirical. It was savage stuff, and got you thinking differently about how the world works in a way that Greysuit has never done for me. The storytelling feels a bt clunky in places (honestly not sure whether that's the art or script at fault), the script is not really engaging me and the well-meaning but clumsy political satire just makes me roll my eyes. And how on earth do real buzzwords like 'twitter', 'trolls', 'blogs' and the like manage to sound more fake than the likes of 'credo', 'truck' and 'travel tube'...?

This prog was really all about Stickleback though. What an ending! My interest wavered more than once over the course of this run - thought Bob's backstory was a bit silly, wasn't really enjoying the Three Sisters as antagonists and struggled to care about their grand plan - but it all paid off marvellously in the past two episodes. There's a real feeling that the world of this strip as was has been irrevocably broken (even apart from the big reveal) and can't ever go back to how it was. All bets are off! My favourite bit was Vicky and D'Isralei, in a fantastic little scene; always fun when historical personages turn up in a strip.
@jamesfeistdraws

Goaty

Oh fuck! What a mind-blowing ending to Stickleback! I was always that that he was [spoiler]Moriaty[/spoiler].

-Dunk!-

Stickleback! Whoa! Wait, wha?

But a pedant writes:[spoiler] If it was a mask all along why was he wearing it during his regeneration by Doyle and why did it grow younger in years also.[/spoiler]

Did I miss something?

That said I love it.

Dunk!

Spaceghost

Quote from: -Dunk!- on 10 December, 2014, 01:55:59 PM

But a pedant writes:[spoiler] If it was a mask all along why was he wearing it during his regeneration by Doyle and why did it grow younger in years also.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]A wizard did it.[/spoiler]
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...