Main Menu

Why doesn't Judge Rico get his own strip?

Started by judgerussell, 19 December, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerussell

This has probably been talked about before, but why doesn't Rico get his own strip?

James Stacey

I guess for the same reason Beeny or Giant don't. Although Dredd isn't just any old Judge, the stories would tend to be too similar. Anderson has her psi shtick but other than that any other attempt (like the Judge Hershey strip) just makes you think 'well why not do the story as Dredd'. The Streets of Dan Fransisco strip worked but probably wouldn't have the legs much past whats been done.

COMMANDO FORCES

Read the Michael Carroll Rico e-novel and also the Al Ewing Dredd e-novel, as that has a lot of Rico in it ;)

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Echidna

The Rise and Fall of Rico Dredd could be great, but if we're talking about Judge Rico, well, he's practically identical to Joe, so what would be the point?

mimikeke

I'd love some more little snippets of original Rico, esp as a cadet before and after the accident.  He's fun for the exact reason mentioned - he's a big contrast to Dredd.  I just finished Wear Iron, Ewing characterized Rico as way more sadistic than I thought he would be.  It was fun, you should pick it up :) 

IronGraham

Quote from: Echidna on 19 December, 2014, 06:55:29 PM
The Rise and Fall of Rico Dredd could be great, but if we're talking about Judge Rico, well, he's practically identical to Joe, so what would be the point?

With Judge Rico you can see how the cursed earth colony are doing
We're werewolves not swearwolves

ZenArcade

You could possibly use Rico to look at aspects of the 22nd century in greater depth. It isn't often we get to see Dredd deal with day to day issues like we did in his recent brilliant Block Judge story. This was a great insight into something always in the background but seldom looked at in depth. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

His character portrayal in the vignettes we've seen over the years have always been markedly different from Joe.

Skullmo

I always feel sad that Wagner doesn't write about Giant anymore :'(
It's a joke. I was joking.

judgerussell

Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but near the end of The Day of Chaos, didn't Rico just show up from the cursed earth with a bunch of mutants to help with the clean up?

Was there any explanation of what he was doing it in the cursed earth? I can't remember off the top of my head. I thought it would have made a good companion strip, watching him gather up support in the cursed earth.

ZenArcade

Think he remained behind to oversee/advise on the consolidation of the townships when Dredd got Francisco reinstated and was placed on the council of five. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Adventurer

They should do a Rico/Beeny/Giant 'team' strip of some kind with the three of them working together to solve tough cases. Throw some Dolman in there too as some kind of city liaison or something.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

judgerussell

Echidna

Quote from: IronGraham on 19 December, 2014, 09:19:30 PM

With Judge Rico you can see how the cursed earth colony are doing

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 December, 2014, 11:01:58 PM
His character portrayal in the vignettes we've seen over the years have always been markedly different from Joe.

Serves me right for sticking my noob oar in... I have a lot of catching up to do! I do wonder though if there are better candidates for a stand-alone strip than a clone of Dredd.