Main Menu

Star Lord, Toxic! and Crisis...

Started by locustsofdeath!, 28 February, 2010, 11:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Thing is, with political stories, if you go back to them after few years to reread your collection they can become very dated.
Think of WARRIOR - V for Vendetta is thinly veiled anti-Thatcher, but Shandor and Axel Pressbutton never date.
There's nowt wrong with good v bad, or spaceships and monsters!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

skurvy

I would also include Scream amongst these. I know it didn't merge with 2000ad but it had a lot of the same creators. Worth hunting down says I.

Goatilocks

As a surprise birthday present one years Mrs. Goatilocks got me the full run of Star Lord, minus one comic. She was out-bid for the complete set in a previous auction so settled for the incomplete series.

I didn't mind, I was thrilled. I loved SL almost as much as 2000AD when I was a kid and was delighted to get my hands on 'em.

And then she told me that once she had paid for the incomplete set the original seller of the full set contacted her to say that the guy who out-bid her pulled out, and was she still interested ...?

:(   

locustsofdeath!

I am incredibly jealous of that, Goatilocks. So far, no luck with Star Lord on ebay. I see single issues on sale, but I'm keeping my eye out for a run of a few at least.

Geez, so thanks to you guys I have to add Tornado and Scream to my wish list! Gah!

Colin YNWA

I wish Rebellion would start using the material from Starlord and Tornado as reprint material for the Meg. I've said it before but it'd get me back on board and I'm sure a few others as I'd think fewer people will have this stuff than the stuff they currently put out?

mygrimmbrother

I have the collected New Statesmen, and I haven't read it for years. After enjying Cradlegrave so much last year, it might be time to dig 'em out.

Goatilocks

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 March, 2010, 12:13:05 PM
I wish Rebellion would start using the material from Starlord and Tornado as reprint material for the Meg. I've said it before but it'd get me back on board and I'm sure a few others as I'd think fewer people will have this stuff than the stuff they currently put out?

I agree. I'd love to read those old Tornado and Scream comics again.

Mike Gloady

This sort of thing has been mentioned before, but Rebellion's purchase of Twoth from Egmont didn't include the non-twoth stuff published by IPC.  So they'd have to approach IPC for the rights and, presumably, pay.  Not hugely attractive from their point of view while there's a huge back catalogue of stuff they DO own and can reprint for free.

EDIT: It didn't include Dan Dare either.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

starscape

IPC comic are now run by DC Comics*.  I tried to get rights to put out a new Valiant Annual followed hopefully by new Vulcan etc Annuals (reprints and all-new stories) but came to nothing.  I know other people are having a hard time too, with setting up new deals.

I also tried to get a license to reprint the 2000AD Dan Dare stuff (including finishing the Cosmic Claw tale with all-new story and art) but the Dan Dare Co. has also farmed out their licensing to people that don't seem interested.  Dunno why but a bit of a shame really.  I know the final DD story wasn't so great but the Hell Planet run was excellent, with the Eagle-Bear-Hitman saga also worthy of a collection.

*they have long been part of the Time Warner empire but were run from London rather than the US before, so a quite different entity.

Colin YNWA

I'm not sure exactly what rights Rebellion have but its worth remembering that in the Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters 'case-files' have the Starlord material in them. Now whether they've had to pay to get this stuff in there I have no idea but it does lend hope that this material may at least be available to them?

Mike Gloady

I think Stront & Ro-Busters might be a special case, as the strips and characters continued into 2000ad.  So buying the Twoth characters would certainly have included Ro-Busters and Strontium Dog, including their earlier, non-2000ad appearances.  In a similar way that the Dare copyright holders own Twoth Dare (and are presumably wisely sitting on it until the end of the world).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Got a complete run of Toxic! Cross that one off the list...now if I can only get my hands on Starlord - that's the one I want most.

Jim_Campbell

My fond memories of Crisis are restricted to New Statesmen, which (I think even John will admit) is more than a little derivative, but done very well and fantastically illustrated by Baikie, with notable fill-ins by Sean Phillips and Duncan Fegredo very early in their careers, and The New Adventures of Hitler, which is, quite simply brilliant and, more significantly, a politically important comic. I quite liked Troubled Souls, and Third World War was nice to see heavyweights like Mills and Ezquerra tackle something so overtly political...

But, in the end, Crisis could have used a lot more fun. I think if it had merged halfway with Revolver, it might have lasted longer.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emp

Lot of stories from toxic should get a rebirth in 2000ad...sex warriors,the missionary,....psycho killer(maybe to a lesser degree,but i felt it was going somewhere..)....and Accident Man, something i never get tired of reading!

SmallBlueThing

Im sure i have some Star Lord doubles somewhere, but it might take me a while to dig them out. Im planning a comics rummage for one night this week (a job that involves rearranging the bedroom so it has to be approached carefully), if i find them i'll let you know Locusts.

Crisis, im very fond of. Third World War, Troubled Souls, True Faith, Trip to Tulum (sp?), that Hitler one, all good. Remember the alternative Amnesty International issue if you're the same kind of anal collector as me. And the specials.

As for Toxic, yeah, loads should have jumped to the prog- Accident Man, Sex Warrior, Coffin, Brats Bizarre, that colin macneil hell story that was running when it died, and of course The Driver, one of my single favourite comics ever, and one that many of my friends still talk about today despite none of them having picked up a comic in twenty years.

A few Toxic strips, including Accident Man and Brats Bizarre, were continued in u.s titles, post-Toxic, and i have odds and sods thereof. There's also an Apocalypse presents  Sex Warrior special currently on ebay, but i imagine that's straight reprint.

SBT