Main Menu

Marvel "Ultimate Graphic Novels" Collection (As seen on TV!!!)

Started by Alski, 30 December, 2011, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

IndigoPrime

Ha! Mind you, from DC I'd sooner go for a Vertigo partworks; ooh, or imagine an Image one. NOM. (Add that to the hypothetical 2000 AD one, obv.)

Judge Nutmeg

there's certain volumes of dc ones i'd like. vertigo would be good collection but then again you could easily knock out a good few volumes if they concentrated on sandman, hellblazer and their assorted spinoffs. I  could see there been a 2000ad one but i'd only bother with slaine and dante volumes as i pretty much have all the other series I like. I dont mind rebuying Dredd titles as there's a lot of stories i dont own.

The Legendary Shark

Skullmo - sorry, I thought I'd given my recommendations but I haven't.
LinkPrime's list is a good one, to which I would add:
Vol 35: She-Hulk, Single Green Female. (My heart sank when I first picked it up but, man, was I wrong! Great art and a witty, intelligent story made it one of my favourites.)
Vol 52: Thor, Reborn. (But then, I've been a fan of JMS's writing since Babylon 5.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Greg M.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 February, 2015, 10:23:33 AM
Didn't JMS also write One More Day though? :-\

One More Day has many, many problems, but they're not all attributable to JMS: it's a product of Quesada's editorial mandate. JMS's Spider-Man run was pretty good up until (and including) 'The Life and Death of Spiders' but then it lost a lot of steam and drove straight off a cliff with 'Sins Past'.

His Thor stuff is all right, but I'd struggle to give it more than a lukewarm recommendation. JMS is a spectacularly variable comics writer (he can be good but he can be downright awful) and shared universes are really not his forte - he's best in a creative situation where he has total control.

The Legendary Shark

Well, I liked it. These are the first Marvel comics I've read since I was 11, except for Alan Moore's Captain Britain back in the day (that book's good as well) , so maybe that has something to do with it. Reborn was a great re-introduction to Thor for me. A lot of these books have been and there are few I haven't enjoyed and none I haven't finished.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Albion

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 30 January, 2015, 02:46:13 PM
Vol 35: She-Hulk, Single Green Female. (My heart sank when I first picked it up but, man, was I wrong! Great art and a witty, intelligent story made it one of my favourites.)

I felt exactly the same about She-Hulk before I read it but it was the real surprise book of the lot so far. It's great!

Other highlights in the collection for me were Planet Hulk, World War Hulk, Marvel Zombies (which I also thought might be poor) and 1602.

I've enjoyed getting these as almost all of it is new to me. I must say I prefer the more modern Marvel titles rather than the old stuff that is in the collection now. I find some of the older titles much harder to read.

I've just read the Life and death of Captain Marvel. It is in two books and I was a bit annoyed that in the extras in the back of book one they reveal how he actually dies!  :o
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.