Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancornwell

CrazyFoxMachine

Very very very very very kickarse - HARK! WHAT IS THAT NOISE?

Oh it's the Toxic Avenger. How unfortunate.

Mike Gloady

All very good stuff folks.  As usual. 

And I second whoever said they'd like to see Radiator's Dredd effort on the cover of their prog - very nicely done. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Van Dom

Johnny that is awesome work. Love it!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 11 May, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
And I second whoever said they'd like to see Radiator's Dredd effort on the cover of their prog - very nicely done. 

THIRDED. Let's get a petition going, Radiator progyes!

radiator

QuoteAnd I second whoever said they'd like to see Radiator's Dredd effort on the cover of their prog - very nicely done.

Cheers, guys.

Unfortunately, though I'm fairly pleased with pieces like this one, I'm a bit rubbish at drawing actual comics (I'll hopefully be able to post some evidence here soon...) so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Matt Timson

Quote from: radiator on 12 May, 2010, 11:23:13 AM
QuoteAnd I second whoever said they'd like to see Radiator's Dredd effort on the cover of their prog - very nicely done.

Cheers, guys.

Unfortunately, though I'm fairly pleased with pieces like this one, I'm a bit rubbish at drawing actual comics (I'll hopefully be able to post some evidence here soon...) so that's not going to happen anytime soon.

It's not stopped me...  ;)

Seriously though- I know exactly what you mean.  The good news is that you'll only get better at it.
Pffft...

radiator

It's one thing to draw a nifty stock Dredd pose - another entirely to draw a full strip.

Drawing a comic is like making a mini short film, and you are responsible for almost everything - costume design, lighting, set design, location scouting, casting, grading, direction, editing, stunts and vfx....

It requires a feat of mental gymnastics before you've even put pen to paper and I have the utmost respect for those that are able to do it.

CrazyFoxMachine

"cover of their prog"

Is what I thirded sunshine - cover cover cover. I want a Radiator cover in 2011 OR I STOP READING 2000ad. It's as simple as that.

Well obviously no, but a cover would be fabulous. Be like Brashill, get in via covers and then do strips a bit later. Although that strip SHOULD NOT be a new Spacegirls. Lawdno.

Richmond Clements

QuoteIt requires a feat of mental gymnastics before you've even put pen to paper and I have the utmost respect for those that are able to do it.

Seconded. I frequently write panels and think 'I have no idea how the artist is going to do that', but they always do, and usually better than I could have imagined.

radiator

QuoteSeconded. I frequently write panels and think 'I have no idea how the artist is going to do that', but they always do, and usually better than I could have imagined.

In the sample script I've drawn (Generation Killer) there was one panel in particular that gave me a bit of a nightmare. The description went something like:

QuoteCharacter A holds up Character B and electrocutes him using his powered gauntlets. In the background, characters C and D advance cautiously. Behind them all, Dredd bursts into the room, gun drawn.

I literally could not work out a way to get all of that information into a single panel - and the result was a disaster!

CrazyFoxMachine

QuoteCharacter A holds up Character B and electrocutes him using his powered gauntlets. In the background, characters C and D advance cautiously. Behind them all, Dredd bursts into the room, gun drawn.

How much space did that give you - ? Whenever I draw from someone else's script I normally end up creating extra panels or squeezing down others. Although thankfully I've found the perfect way to get around the whole process is to not be good enough to be asked to draw anything. It works for me.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 12 May, 2010, 12:31:59 PM

How much pagespace did the script give you for that - ? Whenever I draw from someone else's script I normally end up creating extra panels or squeezing down others. Although thankfully I've found the perfect way to get around the whole process is to not be good enough to be asked to draw anything. It works for me.